Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Domestic Velocity Lounge Access for DL Platinum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K (*G), WJ G, DL, HH Gold, Marriott Silver

Hi, checked through sticky threads and elsewhere, hope I'm not repeating this question but couldn't find it:

I have a Delta Platinum status (SkyTeam Elite Plus) and my partner and I will be traveling domestically in Australia on a few Virgin Australia flights (PER-BNE, BNE-SYD-AYQ, AYQ-SYD). Can we (me and a guest) access VA Velocity Domestic Lounges in PER, BNE, SYD with Delta Platinum and a same day VA boarding pass?

Last edited by padraigincanada; Jan 14, 2018 at 5:44 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Hmmm .... seems you need same day boarding pass for international travel.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html

Last edited by serfty; Jan 14, 2018 at 5:20 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by padraigincanada
I have a Delta Platinum status (SkyTeam Elite Plus) and my partner and I will be traveling domestically in Australia on a few Virgin Atlantic flights (PER-BNE, BNE-SYD-AYQ, AYQ-SYD). Can we (me and a guest) access VA Velocity Domestic Lounges in PER, BNE, SYD with Delta Platinum and a same day VA boarding pass?
Originally Posted by serfty
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by serfty
Hmmm .... seems you need same day boarding pass for international travel.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-partners.html
And "maybe" even if you are flying VA Virgin Australia

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 14, 2018 at 5:53 pm Reason: Revised as post quoted was revised
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And "yes" even if you are flying VA Virgin Australia
Actually, there is a caveat (I was not aware of) - my prior post has been edited.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And "yes" even if you are flying VA Virgin Australia
Whoops, fixed that error in my post to say Virgin Australia, not Virgin Atlantic. So this seems to be the question, and I'm seeing conflicting answers here -- do I need a same day INTERNATIONAL boarding pass out of Australia, or can I used the VA lounges, as a DL Platinum member, when flying on VA DOMESTIC flights? Can anyone confirm with certainty? The DL website implies full lounge access but then in a footnote type thing for VA, says with international boarding pass...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An old thread, but has last posts from Nov 2017:- Skyteam Elite & Virgin Australia Lounge Access
From that thread
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
The memberships are not relevant to status passengers (even though DM get a membership, their status will give them more benefits than that membership)
Originally Posted by nichojo
Delta Platinum flying VA - any guests allowed in VA domestic lounge?
VA treats DL PM as a 'Partner Gold' and DL DM as a 'Partner Platinum'.

Partners get the same guest policy as the equivalent VA status. Gold (DL PM) gets 1 guest. Platinum (DL DM) gets 3.
padraigincanada likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 14, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
First thing is to forget about "SkyTeam Elite Plus", VA is not a member of Skyteam so any Skyteam arrangements are not relevant.

DL Platinum has access to all VA lounges when flying VA. It is a reciprocal agreement (as a VA Plat, I get SkyClub access on any DL itinerary. yes even domestic). You do not need an international boarding pass. 100% certainty on that. I'm not sure why the DL site says that, but it is incorrect. You should be allowed one guest, as per VA's policy for Gold members (which DL Plat is considered equivalent to). You can't scan your BP at the auto-check-in kiosk for the lounge, you will need to go up to an agent and show them your BP. They will also ask for your DL card IME.

Where the partnership breaks down is when you fly VA internationally, VA doesn't operate any lounges inside international terminals, and their partner lounges don't have an agreement with DL, so you get left in the cold. But domestically, no problem at all.

Enjoy your trip to Australia, VA treats DL elites very well, and the lounges are quite nice (of course, no lounge at AYQ). I recommend checking in via the priority lanes and asking the agent about a better seat, they are pretty generous at the airport and may give you EconomyX at no extra charge (even though you won't be able to get one online or at the kiosk). If no luck at the counter, you can also ask at the lounge. Left side of the plane is best for approach to SYD and AYQ.
serfty likes this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jan 14, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Had looked at that post but didn’t realize it had recent additions. Much appreciated.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks CPMaverick, this and your posts over on the other thread are HUGELY helpful. Appreciate it!
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
First thing is to forget about "SkyTeam Elite Plus", VA is not a member of Skyteam so any Skyteam arrangements are not relevant.

DL Platinum has access to all VA lounges when flying VA. It is a reciprocal agreement (as a VA Plat, I get SkyClub access on any DL itinerary. yes even domestic). You do not need an international boarding pass. 100% certainty on that. I'm not sure why the DL site says that, but it is incorrect. You should be allowed one guest, as per VA's policy for Gold members (which DL Plat is considered equivalent to). You can't scan your BP at the auto-check-in kiosk for the lounge, you will need to go up to an agent and show them your BP. They will also ask for your DL card IME.

Where the partnership breaks down is when you fly VA internationally, VA doesn't operate any lounges inside international terminals, and their partner lounges don't have an agreement with DL, so you get left in the cold. But domestically, no problem at all.

Enjoy your trip to Australia, VA treats DL elites very well, and the lounges are quite nice (of course, no lounge at AYQ). I recommend checking in via the priority lanes and asking the agent about a better seat, they are pretty generous at the airport and may give you EconomyX at no extra charge (even though you won't be able to get one online or at the kiosk). If no luck at the counter, you can also ask at the lounge. Left side of the plane is best for approach to SYD and AYQ.

I'm assuming VA is ok with digital skymiles cards?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by IslesFan
I'm assuming VA is ok with digital skymiles cards?
I believe that they type the number in and can see the status in their system, so it should be OK. However not totally sure about that. I've never tried it, always had my physical card.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I believe that they type the number in and can see the status in their system, so it should be OK. However not totally sure about that. I've never tried it, always had my physical card.
I had no issue on Friday, however I was traveling in Business and it indicated partner gold on my BP.

They did not ask for my skymiles card.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:18 pm

In Business, you get complimentary access anyway.

Even when my BP shows Partner Gold, IME they ask for the card (traveling economy).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
So does that mean for DL elites, flying VA SYD-NAN in Y, we would have priority check in, boarding, etc, however, no lounge access?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver
So does that mean for DL elites, flying VA SYD-NAN in Y, we would have priority check in, boarding, etc, however, no lounge access?
That is correct.

If you are arriving to SYD internationally on DL metal before your flight to NAN, you are entitled to use the Skyteam lounge. But that isn't a VA benefit, it is a DL benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.