Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:29 am

No worries, unfortunately didnt work for me!

Side note - Im finding it a pain to search on United now, compared to Aeroplan (which is having real problems with displaying partner availability at the moment) , but Im wondering whats going on with the total lack of T-14/T-7 award availability in F between LHR and HND in either direction for a couple of months now?? Has anyone seen any pop up? Could be that Im just not searching as obsessively day and night, like before, so Im missing any that does come up.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:35 am

Ive only seen T-14 business available no F on all routes I think they're just flying empty F cabins
mg0901 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 6:52 am

I have ord-nrt booked on ANA using virgin miles, j class. Is it possible to add nrt-itm also on ANA, x class? Do I need to pay more miles or just only change fee?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:39 pm

If I see one seat available HND to SGN in J on ANA's website, but nothing shows up on United, does that mean the single seat is not available to book with Virgin miles?
Similarly, I am able to book 3 seats in economy on ANA using miles but when I talked to the Virgin rep, they didn't see any seats available. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried to search but my terms were too vague.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 1:01 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by IamHungry
I have ord-nrt booked on ANA using virgin miles, j class. Is it possible to add nrt-itm also on ANA, x class? Do I need to pay more miles or just only change fee?
You always pay for each segment, so nrt-itm would require additional miles.

Originally Posted by loganseatac
If I see one seat available HND to SGN in J on ANA's website, but nothing shows up on United, does that mean the single seat is not available to book with Virgin miles?
Similarly, I am able to book 3 seats in economy on ANA using miles but when I talked to the Virgin rep, they didn't see any seats available. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried to search but my terms were too vague.
Airlines usually offer more availability to their own loyalty program than partner programs. Virgin reps never see any availability. They blindly try to book it and either it comes back as confirmed or not. Though sometimes they struggle to do even that, not sure what the reason is. I think if you have more than one segment, they need to book them individually. If they try to do it from start to finish, the system isn't working. (At least that is the best reasoning I can come up with) Your best bet is to double check the availability with another Star Alliance partner. If two partner have it, it should be available via Virgin.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:35 am

Is it worth calling virgin to just see if they can book something and it actually goes through?
Old Nov 17, 2023, 3:47 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by freqflyers
Is it worth calling virgin to just see if they can book something and it actually goes through?
If you don't see availability at some other ANA partner, no.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 4:27 am

Useless miles

In 2020, had to cancel my award flight on NH due to covid, and ever since, have not been able to use the 83K miles: my schedule doesn't allow me to book flights 300 days in advance. All routes are waitlisted.

Very frustrating. this sweet spot was advertised everywhere and now is not feasible unless you plan 1 year out.

I guess will use the miles for a furure trip to London, and swallow the insane surcharges....
Old Nov 18, 2023, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Eyefly123
In 2020, had to cancel my award flight on NH due to covid, and ever since, have not been able to use the 83K miles: my schedule doesn't allow me to book flights 300 days in advance. All routes are waitlisted.

Very frustrating. this sweet spot was advertised everywhere and now is not feasible unless you plan 1 year out.

I guess will use the miles for a furure trip to London, and swallow the insane surcharges....
It is a bummer indeed. Otoh, somehow I dont think the years-old adverts you refer to expected a situation just on the other side of an unprecedented modern age global pandemic that precipitated a prolonged Japanese border closure and an incredible runup of the jpy/usd exchange to boot. Demand to come here is higher than it has ever been (or may ever be?) due to a confluence of factors, so the miles story to/from Japan is a very different ballgame than it was before or during covid. This too shall pass.
Eyefly123 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 3:26 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Two data points:

Was browsing seats.aero last month and saw F availability on ORD-HND for last week pop up (suspect it was someone else's cancellation since it wasn't T-14/21) — date worked for me so called VS, no hold time and got a great agent who knew what she was doing and had it booked within 10 minutes (even gave me the NH PNR without having to ask). $203.70 in taxes/fees.

Currently in Japan and was looking for a flight back (have a one-way Y award on another airline) — UA was/is showing saver J space on HND-ORD Saturday (as well as HND-IAD, HND-IAH, NRT-SFO, and even the late/reduced service HND-JFK, so I feel like the T-7 releases are still happening to an extent), and OZ and SK showed it as well but AC, AV and SQ didn't. Wasn't sure if this was phantom or not, but figured I'd give it a shot so called in, after ~25 minutes on hold had another great agent who had no issue booking it. $261.50 in fees this time.

So for those of us who are US-based NH redemptions aren't an impossibility if you have the flexibility to book close-in, although who knows when the next devaluation will hit
Speedbird84 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by truncated
Two data points:

Was browsing seats.aero last month and saw F availability on ORD-HND for last week pop up (suspect it was someone else's cancellation since it wasn't T-14/21) — date worked for me so called VS, no hold time and got a great agent who knew what she was doing and had it booked within 10 minutes (even gave me the NH PNR without having to ask). $203.70 in taxes/fees.

Currently in Japan and was looking for a flight back (have a one-way Y award on another airline) — UA was/is showing saver J space on HND-ORD Saturday (as well as HND-IAD, HND-IAH, NRT-SFO, and even the late/reduced service HND-JFK, so I feel like the T-7 releases are still happening to an extent), and OZ and SK showed it as well but AC, AV and SQ didn't. Wasn't sure if this was phantom or not, but figured I'd give it a shot so called in, after ~25 minutes on hold had another great agent who had no issue booking it. $261.50 in fees this time.

So for those of us who are US-based NH redemptions aren't an impossibility if you have the flexibility to book close-in, although who knows when the next devaluation will hit
You basically pulled off the way I want to book it. Can I ask how and what time you called VS from JPN?
Old Nov 28, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold Elite, IHG Gold,
Originally Posted by Fiona777
Ive only seen T-14 business available no F on all routes I think they're just flying empty F cabins
have flown SFO - HND F (booked several months ago) and HND - LHR F (booked exactly T-14) last month and they're definitely not empty cabins, that's why it's so difficult to find availability. Their own members also unable to redeem. Also flown SYD - HND and HND - LHR both in J in Sept and booked T-14 so all last minute.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold Elite, IHG Gold,
Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
You basically pulled off the way I want to book it. Can I ask how and what time you called VS from JPN?
Virgin CS now 24/7 so not as difficult to get through by phone on any of their numbers,
Old Nov 30, 2023, 1:22 pm

I think I know the obvious answer to this but thought I would explain the situation here anyway.

I booked a flight ANA J LAX-NRT for 45k via VS for 12/1/23. Selected my seat and added my info last week, but had to cancel a few days ago (flight is tomorrow). I got the VS miles refunded, and received an email from VS with the title "Refund Request raised for Booking Reference Number: XXXXX". Today, I got a notification from ANA to check-in. I figured it was just a mistake and the email was already scheduled to send before I cancelled my flight. However, I went through the check-in process out of curiosity and was able to get a boarding pass issued. I checked VS and ANA websites and my flight still looks intact. I have my assigned seat and everything.

What could be happening here? I'm so tempted to see what happens if I show up to the airport for this flight but most likely it will be a waste of time 😂.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jf4nathan
I think I know the obvious answer to this but thought I would explain the situation here anyway.

I booked a flight ANA J LAX-NRT for 45k via VS for 12/1/23. Selected my seat and added my info last week, but had to cancel a few days ago (flight is tomorrow). I got the VS miles refunded, and received an email from VS with the title "Refund Request raised for Booking Reference Number: XXXXX". Today, I got a notification from ANA to check-in. I figured it was just a mistake and the email was already scheduled to send before I cancelled my flight. However, I went through the check-in process out of curiosity and was able to get a boarding pass issued. I checked VS and ANA websites and my flight still looks intact. I have my assigned seat and everything.

What could be happening here? I'm so tempted to see what happens if I show up to the airport for this flight but most likely it will be a waste of time 😂.
Be the DP you want to see
jf4nathan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.