Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by aquanine
I recall one of the FM bloggers encountering this same scenario. Name was wrong, called and the VS rep just decided to cancel it w/o confirming on hope that the space would pop back up. He got lucky and the space reappeared, but with how competitive things are lately I would not chance it.

I don't think the lack of a middle name would be an issue to fly and I would not call.
the way the ticket set up, it wouldn't have been, ANA's system showed my full name, but either way she insisted I wouldn't be able to enter Japan then suddenly blurts out "I went ahead and canceled the ticket so I can rebook you with your correct name. Oh shoot, there are no more seats available".
Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Tofino87
just to advise - lack of middle name on NH *IS* an issue apparently. So yes, theyd need to cancel and re-issue the ticket.

generally speaking, availability is back on the system almost instantaneously. But, as previously mentioned, this is not always the case.

I have experienced this at least 7/8 times in the past 12 months, and it is why I am VERY SPECIFIC when I talk to VS agents (most of whom are extremely good and diligent), that they must please ensure they check the middle name is on there before the ticket is issued.

Weirdly, on a BA issues JL ticket, I had no problems with lack of middle name.
ANA's system showed my middle name
Old Aug 14, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Called twice today to make a change to an older booking, with a long distance F and domestic Y segment. Changing the date of Y segment both times would have required me to pay an additional 25.000 points. In contrast to what I was told a while ago, the second agent did say I'd get a refund of the tax difference at least (within 14 days...). First agent didn't mention it, I didn't ask and the agent seemed rather clueless, trying to tell me its ANA that causes the difference in points... Someone earlier in the thread said that they wouldn't charge the difference on changes, so either that changed or you'd need to get the right agent.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
Update: no "parking" or "saving space" was possible. They said there is a "a little bit of a risk" that the seat doesn't become available again and of course exactly this happened. Ticket was cancelled and the availability didn't come back.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:06 am

Hi all -

Quick question about NH business availability... I'm using United's search engine to try to find space.

I am flexible with my dates, so I'm hoping to snag a biz seat about 2 weeks out. I've been monitoring United and it looks like there is steady biz space t-14 days out. Just to confirm, when searching on United, I am looking for this (see screen shot) and then i call Virgin and feed them the details and it should be 45k points, correct?

Thank you for the help.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by mg0901
I am flexible with my dates, so I'm hoping to snag a biz seat about 2 weeks out. I've been monitoring United and it looks like there is steady biz space t-14 days out. Just to confirm, when searching on United, I am looking for this (see screen shot) and then i call Virgin and feed them the details and it should be 45k points, correct?
Availability looks correct in your picture. It needs to be a direct flight on ANA, which it is in your pic. I don't think IAH counts as "Western USA"? That would be 45k, otherwise its 47.5k. https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/e...nd-points.html
Yeah, you call them, tell them you want to book an award on ANA. Ideally feed them the airport codes, the flight number and time. They can not see whats available, they book it blind and hope it comes back as confirmed.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by freakazoid
Availability looks correct in your picture. It needs to be a direct flight on ANA, which it is in your pic. I don't think IAH counts as "Western USA"? That would be 45k, otherwise its 47.5k. https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/e...nd-points.html
Yeah, you call them, tell them you want to book an award on ANA. Ideally feed them the airport codes, the flight number and time. They can not see whats available, they book it blind and hope it comes back as confirmed.
Oh shoot, you're right! I was searching SFO too, hence the "45k?" -- thanks so much for your reply! Wish me luck...
Old Aug 25, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Is it possible to cancel the return leg of an award ticket after flying the outbound?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 29, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Where can you find the surcharges for ANA J without calling in?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
Try to book the flight on the ANA website, it'll give you the surcharges. Roughly divide that by half (departing Japan has ~$60 more in taxes)
Old Sep 1, 2023, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
This is a handy tool to find out what the taxes and surcharges are going to be for a particular itinerary on a paid ticket.
Look for YQ. It should be the same or close to it for award tickets.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Is it possible to cancel the return leg of an award ticket after flying the outbound?

Thanks in advance
yeah they are ultimately individual tickets, should be able to just cancel one, i would definitely verify with the VS agent though to make sure that's all they are doing.. I usually wait until i've already completed the departure and then call to cancel the return.
invalyd likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 6:21 pm

So this is weird, on United I searched HNL-TYO to see if there were any J/F flights ANA availability, and it said there was no route. But it gave me an option to use their "30 day calendar view" .. when I clicked on it, it brought me to UA's old style (pre-website refresh) search, makes it so much easier to find NH availability and much cleaner. So I'm not sure if I can get there again, but the old style with the better calendar view is out there.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
So this is weird, on United I searched HNL-TYO to see if there were any J/F flights ANA availability, and it said there was no route. But it gave me an option to use their "30 day calendar view" .. when I clicked on it, it brought me to UA's old style (pre-website refresh) search, makes it so much easier to find NH availability and much cleaner. So I'm not sure if I can get there again, but the old style with the better calendar view is out there.
ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Looks like you have to hit Update again to get the calendar view, easiest is actually to bookmark a result with a calendar and then open that up again. If you get access denied, use the normal search once.
seigex likes this.

Last edited by freakazoid; Sep 2, 2023 at 4:59 pm
Old Sep 2, 2023, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by freakazoid
ANA (NH) Redemptions using VS Flying Club points - thread locked Sept 2022

Looks like you have to hit Update again to get the calendar view, easiest is actually to bookmark a result with a calendar and then open that up again. If you get access denied, use the normal search once.
Thanks, I did get access denied when I tried to save a link directly to the calendar, but I'll try again based on that page. I've very happy it's still available, using the new page was painful. Now if I can figure out how to get the old AA search back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.