Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by qofmiwok
I read that VA cancelled all flights to the USA through mid-June. My flight is June 9. When I log in my ticket is still there, and they haven't contacted me to say it is cancelled. But if you search for the flight on google flights it doesn't exist. Anybody know if they are just behind in updating flight status, or if they might reinstate some flights by then?

I just don't know if I need to process a cancellation to get my points and surcharges back, or if I should wait and see. Are these cancellations that are being announced not really firm cancellations but wait-and-sees?
Do you mean Virgin Atlantic (VS) or Virgin Australia (VA)?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 7:11 am

A friend of mine is VS crew and told me the EWR-LHR route is permanently cancelled. I have an unaccompanied minor ticket for early April that I now need to get refunded. I don't know the whole in and out of airlines but I very much hope they open this slot up again when things get back to "normal" I do not want to have to drive to JFK to get to LHR on VS.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Theirin
I think they probably will once the government bails them out. Without government support? No.

I've seen the calls for Branson to bail them out but I don't think those people understand the size of the financial hit. Branson almost certainly can't afford it, especially considering that he's not sat on a few billion in cash, a significant chunk of his assets come from the various Virgin companies themselves.

ETA: just seen this which is related about Branson putting in $250m
Worth adding Branson is putting in $250m to the Virgin Group, which Virgin Atlantic is only a part of. Who knows how much Virgin Atlantic is actually getting. The UK Government has been asked.for £7.5bn, which is over 30 times as much.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
Is Twitter even an official customer service option for them? I just see WhatsApp and SMS texts in their web page. The information on the account seems to indicate that it is for information only. Great if it works, just curious.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:05 am

Anyone here fly half of a round trip itinerary with the return portion of the RT cancelled? What options were you given? I had to book a separate flight home myself with another airline and called Virgin -- they opened up the ticket for travel through Dec 31, 20 (since then, the open ticket date can be pushed back to April 2020 per updated Virgin policy) but they're saying I will have no flexibility on the route and that I have to fly my original return itinerary (DEL - LHR - SFO). As a US based traveler, this will be pretty interesting to see how I route myself back to DEL one-way just to be able to fly the return portion so obviously I would rather change my destination if possible.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Skystreak
Is Twitter even an official customer service option for them? I just see WhatsApp and SMS texts in their web page. The information on the account seems to indicate that it is for information only. Great if it works, just curious.
(Just my own personal datapoint but...) I dealt with VS ENTIRELY via Twitter. YMMV
(can see my prior posts for details)
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
Thank you. I tried Twitter and they replied in about 8 hours that I should try one of their official methods. I used Whatsapp and they replied in about an hour.
rizrizriz likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:26 pm

Virgin Atlantic.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Do you mean Virgin Atlantic (VS) or Virgin Australia (VA)?
Virgin Atlantic LHR to SEA
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: CX, BA
Originally Posted by kodawg9
Anyone here fly half of a round trip itinerary with the return portion of the RT cancelled? What options were you given? I had to book a separate flight home myself with another airline and called Virgin -- they opened up the ticket for travel through Dec 31, 20 (since then, the open ticket date can be pushed back to April 2020 per updated Virgin policy) but they're saying I will have no flexibility on the route and that I have to fly my original return itinerary (DEL - LHR - SFO). As a US based traveler, this will be pretty interesting to see how I route myself back to DEL one-way just to be able to fly the return portion so obviously I would rather change my destination if possible.
Had a PE HKG-LHR-HKG ticket. Used HKG-LHR. Had delayed return 3 times (FOC) but when tried to urgently book return, no reply via text / WhatsApp for over 48hrs. Timing not good as it was coincidentally just after Trump announced cessation of EU to USA.

Returned via another airline.

Original cost of ticket c £1,100 due to Chinese New Year price hike.

Offered refund of just £80 plus taxes...................or

Open return to end 2020, however, will have to pay any difference in fare on new booking.........................which you can guarantee will be extortionate.

Suspect I will just have to write this off.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by EMIC
Had a PE HKG-LHR-HKG ticket. Used HKG-LHR. Had delayed return 3 times (FOC) but when tried to urgently book return, no reply via text / WhatsApp for over 48hrs. Timing not good as it was coincidentally just after Trump announced cessation of EU to USA.

Returned via another airline.

Original cost of ticket c £1,100 due to Chinese New Year price hike.

Offered refund of just £80 plus taxes...................or

Open return to end 2020, however, will have to pay any difference in fare on new booking.........................which you can guarantee will be extortionate.

Suspect I will just have to write this off.
Thanks for the data point. That's a slap in the face on the refund; the open return part is consistent with what I got and I too have similar thoughts. I asked how they determine pricing given that one part of the flight was already flown but the phone reps had no clue. I have a feeling they'll look at the price of a one-way fare which we know is incredibly high (i.e. not 50% of a roundtrip flight).
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
How long as virgin actually taking with issuing refunds for those who got confirmation? Has anyone actually received a refund for a flight cancelled in the last month? I got the refund notice email on March 17 after cancelling a week or so earlier, but no cash yet.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Jerkstore
How long as virgin actually taking with issuing refunds for those who got confirmation? Has anyone actually received a refund for a flight cancelled in the last month? I got the refund notice email on March 17 after cancelling a week or so earlier, but no cash yet.
I believe VS is stating 90-days for a refund. Now whether this is actually what is happening I don't know. Another airline quoted me 4-6 weeks and my refunds all showed up within two weeks.
Jerkstore likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Up to 100 days according to my refund request via SMS this morning...and email confirmation of the cancellation in 12-14 days due to demand
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:03 am

Looks like the MCO-LGW cancellations end 4/13. Anyone have any insight into the situation? Are they expecting to push those dates soon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.