Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Globetrottngal
I am confused as to what I need to do. I had SFO-LHR RT (non-award) tickets departing 29 May, returning 08 June. I just checked Virgin website yesterday, and my outbound is completely gone from the booking, leaving me with a useless return flight on 08 June. Am I to assume VS canceled my flight, and will eventually cancel my inbound flight? Do I call them? Am I eligible for refund? Or will they only offer me re-booking with no change fee?
If they cancelled one of your flights (and they are on the same PNR/ticket) you are entitled to a full refund per DOT and EU rules. If you want a refund you need to call them and ask for a refund. You will likely need to press for it and they may make you wait 100 days or more (even though this wait is in violation of EU/DOT rules). I would document everything you can, when you called, who you spoke to, etc. in case you eventually need to do a CC chargeback. You can try texting them (number on the Virgin website) but folks have reported mixed results. I called and it took about 45 mins to get through and cancel an award booking.
Old May 13, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
Refund or voucher

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
If they cancelled one of your flights (and they are on the same PNR/ticket) you are entitled to a full refund per DOT and EU rules. If you want a refund you need to call them and ask for a refund. You will likely need to press for it and they may make you wait 100 days or more (even though this wait is in violation of EU/DOT rules). I would document everything you can, when you called, who you spoke to, etc. in case you eventually need to do a CC chargeback. You can try texting them (number on the Virgin website) but folks have reported mixed results. I called and it took about 45 mins to get through and cancel an award booking.
I'm was booked to fly SFO to LHR next week. VS cancelled the outbound flight. I understand under US DOT/EU rules I'm entitled to a refund, but I'm concerned that VS may go into bankruptcy. Is there any argument to be made to get the voucher since if VS was to reorganize after bankruptcy they'd likely honor it? Or, am I best going for the refund and hope that Sir Richard will keep everything afloat?
Old May 13, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by davidsfo
I'm was booked to fly SFO to LHR next week. VS cancelled the outbound flight. I understand under US DOT/EU rules I'm entitled to a refund, but I'm concerned that VS may go into bankruptcy. Is there any argument to be made to get the voucher since if VS was to reorganize after bankruptcy they'd likely honor it? Or, am I best going for the refund and hope that Sir Richard will keep everything afloat?
It seems like you're debating the choice between cash in hand and giving an interest free loan to an airline on the verge of bankruptcy. I'd certainly take the money. Is your interest in taking the voucher because you think VS may be able to stay afloat if customers don't take refunds?
Old May 13, 2020, 11:40 am

I'm certainly not looking to save Sir Richard I'm just worried that I'll ask for a refund and then they tank. Whereas, if they tank and reorganize they might honor the voucher. I'm just thinking out loud. I think you're right the cash option is the best way to go. Just wondered if others had different ideas.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by davidsfo
I wouldn't worry about it. The embedded assumption of your question is that if you ask for a refund that VS will actually pay you the refund. I've had refund requests pending since March and April. In this thread other than one or two very early datapoints, they don't seem to be paying refunds. They are saying that it is because of volume and claiming 90 days now but the truth maybe is that they are just sitting on their hands because they have no cash.

So, I don't think your refund is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back but it all is a moot question because you're probably not going to get your refund anyway, and certainly it's unlikely before there is some clarity on VS's status.
Old May 13, 2020, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by rizrizriz
Had a VS flight to JNB (SFO > JNB > SFO) back in March. They canceled the flights. Then yesterday I finally heard a bit more from them via this (see below)
Have others received these recently?

Virgin Atlantic Refunds Department <[email protected]>

Your refund reference - RFUSxxxxx

Booking Reference - xxxxxx

Date - xx/03/2020

Dear Customer,

This is to confirm that we have received your refund application, should you have any inquiry or concern regarding your refund please contact us by email [email protected] and quote your refund reference mentioned above in the email subject area.

Kind Regards

Refunds Department

PO BOX 1243

The Base

Fleming Way

CRAWLEY

RH10 0HW
I got that email recently for flights canceled back in March. When I talked to a rep, she said it could take a while to get a refund. I think I’ll try to reach out again next week and ask how much longer for the refund.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Vicarious
I got that email recently for flights canceled back in March. When I talked to a rep, she said it could take a while to get a refund. I think I’ll try to reach out again next week and ask how much longer for the refund.
Yea, I have not yet heard or got any further update (and have not asked) further yet. Just letting it wait a bit, but hopefully will hear folks are beginning to see some refunds or some sorta action soon
Old May 14, 2020, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by rizrizriz
Yea, I have not yet heard or got any further update (and have not asked) further yet. Just letting it wait a bit, but hopefully will hear folks are beginning to see some refunds or some sorta action soon
It sure would be nice to hear some datapoints of people actually starting to get some refunds posted.
Old May 14, 2020, 1:14 pm

Honestly I don't think VS has the money to pay right now. I fully expect my refund (for taxes and fees on an award flight) will end with my doing a chargeback on my CC. VS (or really Delta) cancelled my flight so by US law I should have been refunded in seven days. Of course I haven't seen anything in the month since I asked for refund. The points went back immediately but no email or confirmation of refund request. I am going to give them about six weeks and then just do an chargeback and DOT complaint. I like Virgin and I hold no ill will to them but six weeks is plenty of time to issue a refund.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:25 pm

I think about it this way. If I miss my flight due to circumstances outside my control and need to reschedule, they’re going to charge me. And I know that, it says it right in the agreement I approve when I buy tickets.

In this case they have to make a change because of something outside their control, however instead of honoring the agreement and US law they’re telling me I just need to accept it.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:50 am

What’s the best route to trying to get a hold of them over the phone?
Old May 15, 2020, 3:10 am

I’m still waiting for the first of 5 refund requests from the 15 March. 90 days seems to be the common wait time at the moment, so I’ll give them another month. I like Virgin, and I want them to survive, if they fail before I get my refund, I’ll request it from the credit card company.

Airlines UK said one of their members received 45,000 refund requests in April this year vs 51 in April last year. It’s only reasonable that normal timescales will go out of the window.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by travellingjake

Airlines UK said one of their members received 45,000 refund requests in April this year vs 51 in April last year. It’s only reasonable that normal timescales will go out of the window.
No doubt but the issue appears to be that VS is not really issuing any refunds or darn few on the airline side (the only reports I have seen are holiday packages where I guess UK law is rather tough). I mean even TAP who has been pretty horrendous (I am dealing with them too) has recently started getting their act together.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
What’s the best route to trying to get a hold of them over the phone?
I've been calling this AM to get a refund for cancelled flights next week. Message says that agents are unavailable and to use text option. Will give it a try. Any other suggestions?
Old May 16, 2020, 5:38 am

Wait 7 days then call your credit card and do a chargeback

I had two flights that were canceled back in March RTs in D1 and upper class from JFK to LHR. when I called to request the refund I reminded the agent I spoke to a DOT rules saying they have to issue it within seven days. She told me 60 to 90 days. I said that was unacceptable and that I would be requesting chargebacks for my credit card. When I got off the phone I sent texts and emails and a screenshot of the responses and some days later sent that all to my credit card and request of the charge back in about a week after that I got the money back from Chase.

don’t give them an interest free loan, demand your money back, give them legal time to respond, and then go to your credit card will give you the money back. US based bank issued cards will do so pretty automatically as long as the purchase was made within six months, is my understanding. I don’t know what the laws/rules are in the UK regarding credit cards, so your mileage may vary.

good luck everyone. Remember it’s your money, don’t hesitate about asking for it back.

Last edited by Scudsone; May 18, 2020 at 6:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.