Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Presumably people at the other end of a lot of VS's destinations have now accelerated their return home dates, or were otherwise due to travel back. Sure, the outbound flight to MCO will probably be empty, but how else do people get home? There probably are limited options as international flights are being grounded.
Rescue flights aside, what are the ethics of keeping flight scheduled that you know nobody can fly on just to force them into a change rather than receiving a refund?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jp-mco
Rescue flights aside, what are the ethics of keeping flight scheduled that you know nobody can fly on just to force them into a change rather than receiving a refund?
I think you are mixing up two different things. The current flights are going out to bring people home. That some people who were booked to go and now can't isn't really VS's fault, and under the terms of the fare rules allowing a change of date is generous. Now I agree that a lot of airlines are throwing the rule book out the window, but this is what travel insurance is for. As far as ethics go, I think there are plenty of threads on that already.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Am waiting news with baited breath as I have a booking - sadly made through Expedia - for Wednesday, which I've been struggling to change.

Related, I just saw this on Sky News' twitter feed:

"Virgin Atlantic says is plans to ground 75% of its fleet by 26 March adding staff will be asked to take eight weeks of unpaid leave during the next three months"
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:50 am

In their press release just now they've also announced "Our London Heathrow-Newark route will be permanently terminated with immediate effect."

Do they really mean permanently, i.e. it won't resume even after the crisis/restrictions are over?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travellingwigbury
Am waiting news with baited breath as I have a booking - sadly made through Expedia - for Wednesday, which I've been struggling to change.

Related, I just saw this on Sky News' twitter feed:

"Virgin Atlantic says is plans to ground 75% of its fleet by 26 March adding staff will be asked to take eight weeks of unpaid leave during the next three months"
Whereto?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Whereto?
NYC. I'd decided not to go before the US ban came into force as various museums had already started to close, but keep getting cut off from Expedia after waiting between 10 minutes and 3 hours over about 40 calls since Friday. Looking on FB, many others have hit similar issues. VS can't do anything as it wasn't booked directly with them. Am hoping that once I hit T-24 that Virgin may be able to help.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:22 am
Suspended

Good luck...Getting in touch with anybody these days is next to impossible.
travellingwigbury likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:02 am
Suspended

How can Virgin say you can make a change for free and travel later in the year, rather than just refund? Who freaking knows when they will be able to travel? So do you rebook now for July? For October? Sounds like a way to hold onto the cash... redicious.

My mum was due to fly out to see me in Vegas next Monday. Obviously that's not going to happen. Who knows when Vegas will be back to normal. Can't see the logic.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Can't see the logic.
It's quite simple... if VS refunds everybody's cash, they go bankrupt and everybody loses. If you have any interest in travelling in the future, you will want VS to survive, and will accept a voucher for future travel.

But as with most other things in times of panic, some people will go buy all of the toilet paper, and some other people will just limit themselves to whatever is truly necessary.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's quite simple... if VS refunds everybody's cash, they go bankrupt and everybody loses. If you have any interest in travelling in the future, you will want VS to survive, and will accept a voucher for future travel.

But as with most other things in times of panic, some people will go buy all of the toilet paper, and some other people will just limit themselves to whatever is truly necessary.
I have no loyalty to any corporation. I used to, specifically airlines. But with the changes to frequent flyer programs over the years, I simply go the easiest, most cost-effective route. Do I care if VS goes under? No. Do I care if BA goes under, no? I just can't see the logic in telling people that they can fly in the future without a change fee, but you must pay the fare difference? No one knows how this will play out. Maybe we can fly again next month? Maybe not. How can I book another flight without knowing what will happen say, next 6 months?

And no, I am not in a state of panic, and nor am I buying all the toilet paper.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
VS is probably afraid to be hit by EC261/2004 article 7 compensation claims if they now cancel the flights.
Technically speaking, VS is still allowed to fly to MCO - just without passengers.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:33 am
Original Poster

People would feel a lot less like claiming compensation if they received a refund without being messed around and without having to fight for it.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jp-mco
People would feel a lot less like claiming compensation if they received a refund without being messed around and without having to fight for it.
As far as I can see, no-one is having to fight for a refund if their flight has been cancelled, and a lot of flights will be cancelled over the next few weeks.

If the flights aren't cancelled, and people either don't want to travel or can't due to the US travel ban, they can claim on their insurance if they want a refund, or their discounted, non-flexible fares have already been made flexible.

I think a little patience here will do wonders.
LondonElite and craigthemif like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Theirin
As far as I can see, no-one is having to fight for a refund if their flight has been cancelled, and a lot of flights will be cancelled over the next few weeks.

If the flights aren't cancelled, and people either don't want to travel or can't due to the US travel ban, they can claim on their insurance if they want a refund, or their discounted, non-flexible fares have already been made flexible.

I think a little patience here will do wonders.
I'm confused. So if the flight is cancelled, you'll get a full refund?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can expect to see MCO-LGW cancelled shortly with passengers rerouted via MIA ATL or JFK as arrivals are limited to the following list. Remember that just as there are UK (and other) nationals trying to make it home from the US, there are US nationals in LON trying to make it back to the US. They will need to be rerouted onto domestic services once they reach an authorized Port of Entry. I do not see EC 261/2004 as having any impact here.
  • Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS), Massachusetts
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas
  • Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Michigan
  • Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
  • Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California
  • Miami International Airport (MIA), Florida
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
  • Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.