Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by smcalist83
I got an email this morning letting me know my flight from LHR to SFO on June 1 is canceled. However, it made no mention of the flight from SFO to LHR on May 25th. Can they cancel one leg of the trip without canceling the other? I checked my booking online and there's no mention of cancellation for either flight.
Hrm, was that VS 41 or 19?

It's strange that they'd cancel a flight in June already... and their website flight status still shows both SFO <-> LHR operating on June 1.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
We purchased RT tickets BOS-LHR-BOSi n PE departing April 15, 2020 and returning April 22 , 2020. This was booked through Chase. The flights have been canceled , and I called Chase to see if a refund was being processed. They told me VS was not refunding cancelled tickets but giving a travel credit, for travel on the same itinerary, same passengers, however, we would have to pay difference in fare and had to complete travel by Feb 7, 2021, as we booked in Feb 2020. Would this be the same had we booked directly with VS?

Edit: Called back and spoke with a better informed Chase rep. He contacted VS and tge refund process is in the works. 90 days as others have mentioned with direct VS bookings.

Last edited by flyaxa; Apr 13, 2020 at 1:03 pm Reason: Follow up
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:36 am

Texted Virgin 17 days ago and they replied saying my refund would be confirmed via email within 10 days, money back on my card within 90. 17 days later, still no email. This is so frustrating.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:32 am

I got the same email but for 30th May. When I rang to check was told the emails have actually been sent in error. However VS19 is not taking bookings (VS41 is) so I suspect its only a matter of time. I moved to VS41 while I was on the call - its only a couple of hours later.
Dont expect that I will be going though!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:03 pm

It was VS 19.

Virgin finally responded to my text message to let me know the message had been sent in error. So back to waiting I go!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA
hi - first time poster on here so please let me know if i am in the wrong place!

I know there are a number of issues getting the cash element of refunds at the moment. My question is, if i call and cancel a redemption booking i have for October this year, can I use the taxes they owe me (which would otherwise be refunded) against another booking i would like to make with them for next year? I am going to be making the booking for next year anyway, so am just trying to explore this as an option to not get a refund and just use the cash to reduce the fees and charges i need to pay on the new booking. Anyone got any experience trying to do this?

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:33 pm

I noticed my Delta flight from DUB to JFK was cancelled and the JFK to DCA leg had been rebooked by Delta to go via DTW (I guess they figured I was going to swim form DUB to JFK). Looks like, unsurprisingly, that Delta has cancelled the DUB to JFK flight for the entire month of May now. This was booked on VS miles so I called in to seek a refund of fees and miles. After about 45 mins I got through to a rather nice and perky CSR who took care of the refund. Miles were back instantly and he pretty much said the credit card refund would take "awhile". I didn't press him on it and since the fees are less than $300 total and I figured he didn't have any control over it anyway. Set a reminder on my calendar to check on refund in four weeks.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:23 pm

I have an award ticket booked with VS miles on DL metal for mid-May that I am not planning to fly. In light of VS' financial troubles, should I cancel the ticket and get my miles back or shall I wait until the last minute hoping DL would take care of me if VS goes under?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
I have an award ticket booked with VS miles on DL metal for mid-May that I am not planning to fly. In light of VS' financial troubles, should I cancel the ticket and get my miles back or shall I wait until the last minute hoping DL would take care of me if VS goes under?
Well if VS goes under you points are likely worthless or worth a lot less so I am not sure what getting your miles back does for you unless you are then going to then transfer them over to HH or IHG. Have you checked your flight on the Delta website? The VS website was showing my end of May flight as flying but when I checked on Delta it was cancelled. Do you actually want to fly in mid-May and do you think Delta will be flying where you want to go? If so I don't see much point in cancelling but if you really need to be there you might want to come up with a plan B now. Delta might or might not cover you if VS goes under but I wouldn't be betting on it. If Delta cancels the flight you can avoid the $50 redeposit fee your VS miles.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Apr 22, 2020 at 5:55 pm
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Well if VS goes under you points are likely worthless or worth a lot less so I am not sure what getting your miles back does for you unless you are then going to then transfer them over to HH or IHG. Have you checked your flight on the Delta website? The VS website was showing my end of May flight as flying but when I checked on Delta it was cancelled. Do you actually want to fly in mid-May and do you think Delta will be flying where you want to go? If so I don't see much point in cancelling but if you really need to be there you might want to come up with a plan B now. Delta might or might not cover you if VS goes under but I wouldn't be betting on it. If Delta cancels the flight you can avoid the $50 redeposit fee your VS miles.
DL did cancel the non-stop flight and put me on a connecting itinerary, but I don't want to fly regardless. And the cash portion of the ticket is only $11.20 so no worries about a cancellation fee either.

My only hope, if VS goes under, is that DL takes over their tickets on their metal and makes the customer whole, like they are known to do. But I am not holding my breath.

Thank you for the info on HH and IHG transfers, I will look into that angle as well. Right off the bat I bet the conversion rates are horrible.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:11 pm

Yeah the conversion rates are awful. 1:1.5 Hilton and 1:1 IHG. Personally I looked at them and decided to take my chances with VS.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 11:24 pm

1:1.5 Hilton isn’t too bad, in fact I’d argue that there are few airlines that would have as generous a partner transfer.

This being said I’d keep your booking as is and take your chances with VS, for now
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
1:1.5 Hilton isn’t too bad, in fact I’d argue that there are few airlines that would have as generous a partner transfer.

This being said I’d keep your booking as is and take your chances with VS, for now
Yeah awful may be a strong word but essentially you can buy Hilton points regularly for 0.5 cents a point so even though there are some redemptions higher than that it is hard to argue the value of HH points higher than that in my book. So you are looking at .75 cents of value per VS point. That isn't all that great in my book and quite a haircut to take but clearly a lot of this is going to come down to your risk tolerance and the value you place on VS points which are going to likely have a much more variable value depending on one's particular uses.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 4:21 pm

Had a VS flight to JNB (SFO > JNB > SFO) back in March. They canceled the flights. Then yesterday I finally heard a bit more from them via this (see below)
Have others received these recently?

Virgin Atlantic Refunds Department <[email protected]>

Your refund reference - RFUSxxxxx

Booking Reference - xxxxxx

Date - xx/03/2020

Dear Customer,

This is to confirm that we have received your refund application, should you have any inquiry or concern regarding your refund please contact us by email [email protected] and quote your refund reference mentioned above in the email subject area.

Kind Regards

Refunds Department

PO BOX 1243

The Base

Fleming Way

CRAWLEY

RH10 0HW
Old Apr 25, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the above information rizrizriz. After chasing up the travel agent for over a month with various excuses like 'your ticket is non-refundable', I sent an e-mail directly to Virgin yesterday. It didn't take them long to reply and say that ''we will begin logging this refund request.'' Sounds suspiciously unlike ''we are processing your refund'' but it's a start.

That said, I don't expect to get my 120 EUR back before Virgin collapses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.