Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic COVID-19 Cancellations and related issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Often1
You can expect to see MCO-LGW cancelled shortly with passengers rerouted via MIA ATL or JFK as arrivals are limited to the following list. Remember that just as there are UK (and other) nationals trying to make it home from the US, there are US nationals in LON trying to make it back to the US. They will need to be rerouted onto domestic services once they reach an authorized Port of Entry. I do not see EC 261/2004 as having any impact here.
  • Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS), Massachusetts
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), Illinois
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW), Texas
  • Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), Michigan
  • Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL), Hawaii
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), Georgia
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York
  • Los Angeles International Airport, (LAX), California
  • Miami International Airport (MIA), Florida
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), New Jersey
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO), California
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA), Washington
  • Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), Virginia
In terms of compensation I agree, but duty of care remains even if delays or cancellations are due to force majeure. The volcanic ash situation is a perfect example of this. Airlines were on the hook for the extended stays passengers needed due to flight cancellations.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:20 am

I would be quite happy to re-book my Mar 24th Vegas trip on a future date IF, and a very big IF the dates I can travel didn't add over Ł1350 per person to our fare. It's okay to say that there is a no-change fee being applied but the difference in ticket prices from what I paid to what is being offered is a second holiday!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rickjt62
I would be quite happy to re-book my Mar 24th Vegas trip on a future date IF, and a very big IF the dates I can travel didn't add over Ł1350 per person to our fare. It's okay to say that there is a no-change fee being applied but the difference in ticket prices from what I paid to what is being offered is a second holiday!
I doubt that you will see this happen. What you can expect is that discounted fare buckets will open up roughly 90 days prior to your new dates and that is when I would book.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
I'm confused. So if the flight is cancelled, you'll get a full refund?
Yes.
littlefish likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:48 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by Theirin
In their press release just now they've also announced "Our London Heathrow-Newark route will be permanently terminated with immediate effect."
Looks like Tue 17 and Wed 18 have been cancelled. VS1.
However, after that all VS1 show as zeroed out; with the VS2 "return" also zeroed. No tickets for sale.
It does seem to be the case the flights from Thursday and beyond are confirmed 'terminated' but not 'cancelled'. In turn, the consumer is presumably not able to secure a refund. Dirty trick? Maybe. Maybe not. I smell a fish.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:06 pm
Suspended

I can book LHR to LAX on Mon 23rd March...??
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: BA GOLD
VS 6 MIA-LHR flights are showing zeroed out from today and the VS 118 has disappeared. Orlando flights have been cancelled as expected.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
And VS27 LGW-MCO is cancelled today 3/17 and tomorrow 3/18. Also zeroed out for the next 2 weeks, so obviously not flying as MCO is not an approved arrival airport from Europe/UK. I'm very disappointed to miss this 747 trip as these become scarcer....and at least for now VS is insisting that any rebooking must be in the exact fare class of the initial ticket. Which means a $250 increase in fare for any routing I've asked for. Seems a little predatory, and negates the benefit of the change fee waiver.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by pfbloom
And VS27 LGW-MCO is cancelled today 3/17 and tomorrow 3/18. Also zeroed out for the next 2 weeks, so obviously not flying as MCO is not an approved arrival airport from Europe/UK. I'm very disappointed to miss this 747 trip as these become scarcer....and at least for now VS is insisting that any rebooking must be in the exact fare class of the initial ticket. Which means a $250 increase in fare for any routing I've asked for. Seems a little predatory, and negates the benefit of the change fee waiver.
VS27 is in fact flying today. Which leads me to believe that it’s flying empty to pick up the passengers for tonight’s VS28.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pfbloom
I made a similar point yesterday and was shot down for making it. Virgin seem to be waiting until the last minute to cancel flights in the hope that panicked passengers will get in touch and agree to a date change (spending a lot of extra money due to dynamic pricing) before they cancel the original flight at the eleventh hour at which point they would have been entitled to a full refund. However, if you’ve made a date change it invalidates your entitlement to the refund. They’ve also not updated their refund policy for UK passengers affected by the USA travel ban despite the ban coming into effect yesterday and being announced 72 hours ago. It all points to the same thing - Virgin are desperately trying to avoid paying refunds. I understand why they’re doing this but it’s incredibly sharp practice.
dr benway likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jp-mco
....It all points to the same thing - Virgin are desperately trying to avoid paying refunds. I understand why they’re doing this but it’s incredibly sharp practice.
I think that just about sums it up. I think there is a lot of underhand dealing going on right with a few airlines because they don't want to lose cash.

For next week VS8 LAX-LHR has been zeroed out of booking searches, but it's still showing status as 'on time'. There is no way I am rebooking that flight!
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Cheekily VS changed its refund rules. Luckily I saved the page on my computer.
Until yesterday VS offered pax (who are affected by the US travel ban) a full refund. That section has disappeared.

I guess I have to solve that issue via a credit card chargeback.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
Cheekily VS changed its refund rules. Luckily I saved the page on my computer.
Until yesterday VS offered pax (who are affected by the US travel ban) a full refund. That section has disappeared.

I guess I have to solve that issue via a credit card chargeback.
Is that not because the refund policy now applies to all destinations? Taken from the site:

“Alternatively, if you booked on or before the 11th of March you can apply for a refund (or a partial refund if you've already used part of your ticket) here”
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Well, I have found that statement too.

I wrote VS:
I am a German citizen, living in Germany; I have a flight booked on VS to the US; May I cancel that ticket for free? (booking code: ...; passenger name: ...)?
Unfortunately, that is what VS has replied to me:

We can rebook your ticket any date up until 31st Dec 2020 and waiver a change fee, you would just pay any fare difference. Travel must be completed by this date. We are still travelling to and from the USA, This route is not affected so we can only advise the ticket rules. This ticket does not permit a refund so if you cancel you would be entitled to a taxes only refund.
Thus, VS does not recognize the waiver that they have published on their website.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Alternatively, if you booked on or before the 11th of March you can apply for a refund (or a partial refund if you've already used part of your ticket) here.
Does that sentence mean when I booked the flight or when the flight took place, which I booked?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.