Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Link to transfer Virgin points to Alaska.

https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/
Print Wikipost

1.3 is conversion rate to Mileageplan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:50 pm

Well even though I converted my Virgin points to Alaskan points a bit early Alaska more than generous to help get my 10k points.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
How long does it take for the point transfer to happen? I initiated my transfer yesterday evening and still nothing after 12 hours.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:01 am

Points transfer seems to be working fine again. I waited a few days after the rush. Just did it. Easy and quick.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:04 am

I just tried doing my transfer again and it says it's already pending.

I know someone who just initiated the transfer and they transferred in matter of minutes. But mines still over 12 hours and counting.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:41 pm

Conversion time

It took maybe 45-60 minutes for my transfer to go through.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Some reasons why transfer from VX to AS may not work

Below is one reason why a transfer might not work.

Originally Posted by artieb78
Finally got to the bottom of why my conversion wasn't working! This may be applicable to some people having conversion problems.

After I logged in to the conversion page with my Elevate account, I used the slider to choose how many points to convert. It had the correct amount of Elevate points available in my account as able to be converted.

I selected AS as the receiving plan and hit "Next." On the next screen, my email address was already pre-populated and I clicked Next again. (Note, there is no way to edit the email here, which if you could, would solve the problem.)

As indicated above, I got an error that my account was "disabled." I assumed that this meant my AS account was disabled, since the VX point totals were right. But, no...

In fact, it was my "points.com" account that was "disabled." Years ago, I had a points.com account with the same email address as on my Elevate and MileagePlan accounts. I deleted this points.com acct years ago. The VX-AS conversion system effectively tries to log-in to a points.com account with the email address on file (for VX, I think).

I then went to points.com to try to reset my password on my old account. However, if you have expressly deleted the account, there is no way to reset the password. Also, you can't create a new account with an email that was used previously. The only way to reset is to send an email to points.com customer service and wait several business days. No thanks!

So my solution ...

I updated the email address on my Elevate account to add a dot (".") between my first and last names. In gmail, the location of dots makes no difference and an email [email protected] and [email protected] are the same address. I then updated my MP email account the same way that I edited my Elevate email, just in case.

Then I went back to the conversion page and logged in to my Elevate account with my newly updated email. It found the account with the correct amount of points. I clicked to add the Alaska account and it asked for my credentials. On the next screen where the email is pre-populated, it had the updated email that I just revised my accounts to have. I have no points.com account with that email, so the system created a new one for me.

The conversion now went through! I got an email immediately that the conversion was in process. 4 mins later the conversion was complete.

All this trouble because I had an old points.com account, now closed, with the same email as my VX and AS accts!
Another reason: email on your AS account is different from the email on your VX account.

I finally used my work email (usually not used for frequent flyer email) for both VX and AS. I then created a points.com account using the work email address. Afterwards, I transferred VX points to AS using this link. https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/ The transfer was complete when I checked Alaska's website 4 minutes later.

----
Reasons to do it now:
1. Do it before you forget
2. VX points are expiring sometime in the next few months.

Reasons to do it later:
1. Want to redeem a VX trip where the usual airfare is low. Points needed could be less than redeeming an AS award. On the other hand, expensive domestic awards (based on airfare) makes AS a better redemption method.
2. Want to redeem using VX partners that don't participate in AS.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Reasons to do it later:
1. Want to redeem a VX trip where the usual airfare is low. Points needed could be less than redeeming an AS award. On the other hand, expensive domestic awards (based on airfare) makes AS a better redemption method.
2. Want to redeem using VX partners that don't participate in AS.
3. Want to redeem a VX trip in MCS, which is not currently available via AS.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by cstreet
It took maybe 45-60 minutes for my transfer to go through.
my went through in less than an hour also.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:17 am

going on Day 10... still nothing. I've contacted Points.com and AS and they both point to each other and just tell me its "pending"
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:03 am

Got it! Finally. After 10 days my VX points finally made it to my AS account
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:37 pm

i submitted the request and it gave me a confirmation pending and i logged back in to points.com and it still shows i can transfer miles... not sure if i should submit it again? i haven't gotten it after almsot two hours. my first transfer on another went through almost instantly.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by jayoxd
i submitted the request and it gave me a confirmation pending and i logged back in to points.com and it still shows i can transfer miles... not sure if i should submit it again? i haven't gotten it after almsot two hours. my first transfer on another went through almost instantly.
It will look like you can transfer it again but it wont let you... It'll say you have a pending transfer and if you proceed with this transfer you will have -XXXX points and you dont have enough....

go ahead and try it... I've tried everything during my 10 day wait...
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
It will look like you can transfer it again but it wont let you... It'll say you have a pending transfer and if you proceed with this transfer you will have -XXXX points and you dont have enough....

go ahead and try it... I've tried everything during my 10 day wait...
100% correct. i guess i'll just keep waiting.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
An update on the VX --> AS conversion. As I noted in an earlier post, the transfer my not work if your email address is associated with a disabled points.com account. Changing your email on your VX and AS accounts to do the conversion can solve this problem.

As a further update, I went ahead and emailed points.com to get my account un-disabled. It took about a week to hear back, but they did reply and sent me a link to reset the password on my old disabled points.com account. I reset the password and re-activated the account.

I then went back and changed the email addresses on my VX and AS account back to my normal email address.

All should be set and working now, using my regular email.

The trick of changing your email (temporarily) can be a way to get the conversion to go through immediately while you wait for your disabled points.com to be re-activated, and then you can change the email addresses back and use the re-activated account.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:06 pm

I'm encountering a weird problem when trying to convert points. I'm able to log in successfully, but on the "Convert your points" page when I click the VA Elevate box as the program, a blank white box pops up that is title "Convert From" but there is nothing in the box for me to click - it's just blank. So I can't get past this step.

I've tried different computers (Mac and PC) on different internet connections, and I've tried Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browsers. Same problem on all of them.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.