Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Link to transfer Virgin points to Alaska.

https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/
Print Wikipost

1.3 is conversion rate to Mileageplan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
Still patiently waiting for the email with my new AS Mileage Plan number. Just curious if anyone without a preexisting MP acct has tried to do a "Forgot User ID?" workflow on the AS website in an attempt to obtain their new MP number ... you just need enter first/last name, DOB, and email, which presumably was ported over from VX.

I have not tried this for fear of screwing up the transfer of my VX Gold status to AS. Don't even know for sure it would work.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Terminator8
I don't think so, but even if you could, why would you want to? AS is distance based and VX is revenue based. It'd be horrible value.
Not always. Price is always the key. LAX-SFO for instance: If you have Elevate Gold, you'd earn more points with Elevate vs miles as Alaska MVP Gold once your base fare is more than $48 ($66 including taxes). That doesn't even take into account the 1.3 conversion to Mileage Plan if you were to subsequently txfr those points over.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:28 pm

Folks keep treating VX F and AS F as equals when making comparisons. They are not even close.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by socalgecko
Not always. Price is always the key. LAX-SFO for instance: If you have Elevate Gold, you'd earn more points with Elevate vs miles as Alaska MVP Gold once your base fare is more than $48 ($66 including taxes). That doesn't even take into account the 1.3 conversion to Mileage Plan if you were to subsequently txfr those points over.
True, points for that short of a flight are so inconsequential though.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RedElmo
I just found this in part C

Loyalty Currency Transactions

You may give your loyalty program currency to someone else.
https://www.alaskaair.com/mileagepla...sfermiles.aspx
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by artieb78
Still patiently waiting for the email with my new AS Mileage Plan number. Just curious if anyone without a preexisting MP acct has tried to do a "Forgot User ID?" workflow on the AS website in an attempt to obtain their new MP number ... you just need enter first/last name, DOB, and email, which presumably was ported over from VX.

I have not tried this for fear of screwing up the transfer of my VX Gold status to AS. Don't even know for sure it would work.
Still waiting here as well for the accounts of 4 family members. Looks like Alaska pooped on their own deadline.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I understand that... but i was referring to what i saw on points.com.

what if i do a my VX account to a family members MP account? I havent gone far enough in the process to see the consequences... I was hoping someone would know here.. or have tried it. it seems like you can just start off with my VX account then proceed to enter in someone elses MP account.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:54 am

Is the transfer tool at https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/ down? I enter my VX details and the next page spins forever at Welcome to Exchange
Exchange points and miles between your loyalty programs
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Colin
Is the transfer tool down? I enter my VX details and the next page spins forever at Welcome to Exchange
Yes. Likely overloaded by all the new AS accounts that just launched... I've got a bunch of VX miles to move to AS but I'm in no hurry so I'll try later... ^

Happy to be a new AS Gold and have 10k to kick off my relationship with AS! ^
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:49 am

Got my email this morning at 8:15am PT. Activated my acct and received the 10k bonus, MVP Gold status, 2 lounge passes, and 4 MVP Gold upgrades.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Terminator8
True, points for that short of a flight are so inconsequential though.
There are plenty of paid F fares where you also get more elevate points than AS points for the same flight, and that's before even multiplying by 1.3. I'm flying paid F from DCA to SFO in a couple weeks, for example. The one-way is like $1300 (not my money).
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Colin
Is the transfer tool at https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/ down? I enter my VX details and the next page spins forever at Welcome to Exchange
It seems to have been up and down all day. Mine finally worked and I got the confirmation email but it's taking its own sweet time to actually process. Going on 2 hours and they are still in sitting in my VX account.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:45 pm

Tried to do the conversion, and got this error. This error came after using the slider to decide how many points to convert.

Name:  1-11-2017 3-42-28 PM.png
Views: 415
Size:  14.4 KB

I called Customer Care and they said my account was fine. But they said that the conversion system is overloaded and to try again later. :/
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by artieb78
Tried to do the conversion, and got this error. This error came after using the slider to decide how many points to convert.

Attachment 24790

I called Customer Care and they said my account was fine. But they said that the conversion system is overloaded and to try again later. :/
Thanks for the report. I was afraid that somethikng was wrong.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Thanks for the report. I was afraid that somethikng was wrong.
Finally got to the bottom of why my conversion wasn't working! This may be applicable to some people having conversion problems.

After I logged in to the conversion page with my Elevate account, I used the slider to choose how many points to convert. It had the correct amount of Elevate points available in my account as able to be converted.

I selected AS as the receiving plan and hit "Next." On the next screen, my email address was already pre-populated and I clicked Next again. (Note, there is no way to edit the email here, which if you could, would solve the problem.)

As indicated above, I got an error that my account was "disabled." I assumed that this meant my AS account was disabled, since the VX point totals were right. But, no...

In fact, it was my "points.com" account that was "disabled." Years ago, I had a points.com account with the same email address as on my Elevate and MileagePlan accounts. I deleted this points.com acct years ago. The VX-AS conversion system effectively tries to log-in to a points.com account with the email address on file (for VX, I think).

I then went to points.com to try to reset my password on my old account. However, if you have expressly deleted the account, there is no way to reset the password. Also, you can't create a new account with an email that was used previously. The only way to reset is to send an email to points.com customer service and wait several business days. No thanks!

So my solution ...

I updated the email address on my Elevate account to add a dot (".") between my first and last names. In gmail, the location of dots makes no difference and an email [email protected] and [email protected] are the same address. I then updated my MP email account the same way that I edited my Elevate email, just in case.

Then I went back to the conversion page and logged in to my Elevate account with my newly updated email. It found the account with the correct amount of points. I clicked to add the Alaska account and it asked for my credentials. On the next screen where the email is pre-populated, it had the updated email that I just revised my accounts to have. I have no points.com account with that email, so the system created a new one for me.

The conversion now went through! I got an email immediately that the conversion was in process. 4 mins later the conversion was complete.

All this trouble because I had an old points.com account, now closed, with the same email as my VX and AS accts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.