Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Link to transfer Virgin points to Alaska.

https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/
Print Wikipost

1.3 is conversion rate to Mileageplan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
1.3 is conversion rate to Mileageplan

...according to AS thread.

SFO based flyers are really getting shafted. DL partnership ending, very few additional flights from AS, and now a bad exchange rate and mileage based plan making it less attractive to pay high F fares.

Oh well, it was nice run with VX but time to move on...
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
It is also posted on the DifferentWorks website under "More Rewards."
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
...according to AS thread.

SFO based flyers are really getting shafted. DL partnership ending, very few additional flights from AS, and now a bad exchange rate and mileage based plan making it less attractive to pay high F fares.

Oh well, it was nice run with VX but time to move on...
It makes it more attractive to buy lower F fares.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
I think AS is shooting themselves in the foot. I was hoping for a good incentive to stick with AS/VX post merger. Being based out of EWR/PHL with lots of travel to OH, MI, KY, TN during the year, it will not make sense for me to go out of my way to fly them. I was hoping a more generous exchange rate would be used to entice me.

I am sitting on 150k elevate points and will have to just burn them in the near future.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Virgin America
And we only have till January 9th before this change happens?! ****
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Originally Posted by skron
That will be the initial period to transfer miles VX > AS. Elevate will be around for a while longer, but we won't know exactly how long until at least that time.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AC 75K
No, it just says starting January 9th you can transfer points from VX to AS. They haven't announced anything about ending the Elevate program yet, and I doubt they will for the foreseeable future.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by WesternCDN
No, it just says starting January 9th you can transfer points from VX to AS. They haven't announced anything about ending the Elevate program yet, and I doubt they will for the foreseeable future.
So we don't have to do the transfer? I can keep all my points in VX? Why would anybody willingly transfer their points from 2 to 1.3?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
So we don't have to do the transfer? I can keep all my points in VX? Why would anybody willingly transfer their points from 2 to 1.3?
Cause it's every 1 Elevate for 1.3 MP, which isn't too bad. I have use of MP miles.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Just dismal

This is a really terrible exchange rate, but I think I can see where this is going. The value of VX miles is at least 1.5x if not 2x that of Mileage Plan IF you're looking at domestic redemptions. But I think AS was looking at the possible costs of people with piles of VX points redeeming for international partner awards when they made this calculation and wanted to minimize the financial impact.

It would also explain why they reduced the miles required for short and medium haul domestic economy awards– It would bring a bit of equity to what VXers are used to paying in eleVAte points for a ticket on VX metal if they exchanged points.

Clearly Alaska prefers that you opt to burn those eleVAte points on VX metal.

Last edited by socalgecko; Dec 19, 2016 at 12:08 pm
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by socalgecko
This is a really terrible exchange rate, but I think I can see where this is going. The value of VX miles is at least 1.5x if not 2x that of Mileage Plan IF you're looking at domestic redemptions. But I think AS was looking at the possible costs of people with piles of VX points redeeming for international partner awards when they made this calculation and wanted to minimize the financial impact.

It would also explain why they reduced the miles required for short and medium haul domestic economy awards– It would bring a bit of equity to what VXers are used to paying in eleVAte points for a ticket on VX metal if they exchanged points.
Sorry for being a newb... So if I fly only domestically, it sounds like I will actually make "profit" by switching my VX miles to Mileage Plan?
Old Dec 19, 2016, 11:57 am

Sorry for being a newb... So if I fly only domestically, it sounds like I will actually make "profit" by switching my VX miles to Mileage Plan?
It'll really depend on the flight. Long haul seats will run you 12,500 Alaska miles "minimum" in economy, if saver seats are available. Right now you can get seats going SFO-JFK in January on the VX site for 5k points each way. In this case, transferring points would be a terrifically crappy deal.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I think this was also a matter of not biasing folks heavily towards crediting towards one program or another. Ignoring status, a lower-fare SFO-JFK TCON flight might run $850 plus fees in F (for 4250 Elevate points) while a similar flight on Alaska in F would get you roughly 4500 miles on Alaska.

At a conversion rate of 1.3:1 there's an advantage to using Elevate (you get 5525 miles) but at 2:1 you'd actually get to a point that an Alaska elite might well do better on VX than on crediting "internally", leading to complaints and/or distortions. Move the fare up to $1000 (5000 Elevate points) for the same flight and I can already hear the crowing from an MVP member that they'd get more points as a newbie over on VX for the same flight, to say nothing of a VX Gold now taking them to the cleaners in terms of post-conversion points piles...for a Gold Elevate account a $1000 F fare TCON on VX would, in that case, rack up 22,000 redeemable miles:
((1000*5)*2.2)*2=(5000*2.2)*2=11000*2=22000
For an MVP 75K member, they'd earn:
(2600*1.75)*2.25=4550*2.25=approx. 10200

Going with 1.3 keeps that differential to 14300 vs 10200, which while substantial isn't a total massacre. Granted, on some of the higher fares ($1500+) the damage is still substantial, IIRC those are also well above AS' refundable fares.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I think this was also a matter of not biasing folks heavily towards crediting towards one program or another. Ignoring status, a lower-fare SFO-JFK TCON flight might run $850 plus fees in F (for 4250 Elevate points) while a similar flight on Alaska in F would get you roughly 4500 miles on Alaska.

At a conversion rate of 1.3:1 there's an advantage to using Elevate (you get 5525 miles) but at 2:1 you'd actually get to a point that an Alaska elite might well do better on VX than on crediting "internally", leading to complaints and/or distortions. Move the fare up to $1000 (5000 Elevate points) for the same flight and I can already hear the crowing from an MVP member that they'd get more points as a newbie over on VX for the same flight, to say nothing of a VX Gold now taking them to the cleaners in terms of post-conversion points piles...for a Gold Elevate account a $1000 F fare TCON on VX would, in that case, rack up 22,000 redeemable miles:

Going with 1.3 keeps that differential to 14300 vs 10200, which while substantial isn't a total massacre. Granted, on some of the higher fares ($1500+) the damage is still substantial, IIRC those are also well above AS' refundable fares.
A very astute observation, and I'm sure you're right on the money.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson

It may be more "fair" until they kill off Elevate, but it isn't a fair conversion rate for those of us with VX points already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.