Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Link to transfer Virgin points to Alaska.

https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/
Print Wikipost

1.3 is conversion rate to Mileageplan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
...according to AS thread.

SFO based flyers are really getting shafted. DL partnership ending, very few additional flights from AS, and now a bad exchange rate and mileage based plan making it less attractive to pay high F fares.

Oh well, it was nice run with VX but time to move on...
Au contraire, as an occasional AS and VX flyer I'm quite thrilled. I now have a better shot at elite status and won't be splitting miles between two programs. I never fly DL (kind of the norm @SFO where there are many better choices) so I don't miss that option at all.

As for the exchange rate, you should be glad it's not 1:1 as has been the case with most airline mergers. Of course, combining a miles-based program with revenue-based program is a challenge. If you value AS at .02 then it seems more than fair. Ditto for those who earned miles through VX credit card spend.

Originally Posted by Duke5150
Better Deal: Transfer SPG to Marriott reward points 1:3 ratio. So, 90,000 SPG -> 270,000 Marriott. Use Marriott points to purchase "Nights and Flights" reward deal. Get 120,000 AS points PLUS 7 nights in Cat 1-5 Marriott Hotel.

This is best use of SPG points.
Doubtful. Good luck finding a Cat 5 resort or major city property (e.g NYC, SFO, LON, PAR etc.) Better off using some of those 270k Marriott for 4+1 nights @ Cat 7 or Cat 8. Similarly you can find SPG Cat 5 and Cat 6 properties for 12-16k/night and 4+1 awards.

Originally Posted by Governator
My thoughts exactly. It's very rare that I might want to stay in the same hotel for 7 nights and the chances of it being a Cat 5 or below - zero. The value of points to me is the higher end Marriott, Ritz, Autograph, etc.
Exactly.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
SFO based flyers are really getting shafted. DL partnership ending, very few additional flights from AS, and now a bad exchange rate and mileage based plan making it less attractive to pay high F fares.

Oh well, it was nice run with VX but time to move on...

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Au contraire, as an occasional AS and VX flyer I'm quite thrilled. I now have a better shot at elite status and won't be splitting miles between two programs. I never fly DL (kind of the norm @SFO where there are many better choices) so I don't miss that option at all.
Agree, I think the integration has been very generous to the VX side - especially with a free year of additional status. During mergers the airlines tend to throw goodies to everyone in order the retain the customers through a period of change and uncertainty.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
One thing I also suspect (as you hinted) is that AS is sort-of presuming that something will go wrong/more wrong (e.g. bungled IT integration, call center issues, morale problems on the VX side) and they're trying to preemptively compensate for that a bit.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:10 pm

SPG to VS will end on Jan 6, 2017 anyway

Debating whether to transfer/arbitrage or not for me (AS miles isn't that easy to use in Toronto, ha, only CX really). I have 125K AS miles (from CC), and adding more (60K SPG > 75K VX > 97.5 AS) without immediate use in 2017 for sure
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jerryhung
SPG to VS will end on Jan 6, 2017 anyway

Debating whether to transfer/arbitrage or not for me (AS miles isn't that easy to use in Toronto, ha, only CX really). I have 125K AS miles (from CC), and adding more (60K SPG > 75K VX > 97.5 AS) without immediate use in 2017 for sure
That's really the bottom line now.

Personally I have never been able to award space on AS metal for my travels (admittedly peak dates to Mexico & Hawaii) but in retrospect I see that the miles have far more value on AS international partners.

That being said, my SPG points have significant intrinsic value given the prices I find at SPG resorts, so I am reluctant to transfer them just to get a few extra miles in my AS account that I may not use for years.

The last thing anyone should want is to maintain a hefty balance with any airline when the award rates can be changed on a whim. If you don't have plans to book a trip in the next couple of months, I'd pass on a transfer.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by tth6133
They can also be refunded (before they expire) if you don't use them. They'd be treated as cat 1 hotel certificates (7.5K per day for 6 days) for refund purpose. So you'll receive 45K Marriott points (or 15K SPG points).
Not that I do not trust you. Can you point to another source that lists the refunding value of the 7-night cert? Most blog articles are very vague of it.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
BTW, those 7-night certificates can be upgraded to stays at higher category hotels for additional Marriott points. They can also be refunded (before they expire) if you don't use them. They'd be treated as cat 1 hotel certificates (7.5K per day for 6 days) for refund purpose. So you'll receive 45K Marriott points (or 15K SPG points).

If you're not going to use the hotel certificate, the economics boils down to 80K SPG points for 130K AS miles (in a direct transfer to VX) or 75K SPG points for 120K AS miles (in an indirect transfer via Marriott). The former is slightly better (5K SPG points to 10K AS miles) in that scenario.
It's a good comparison but 20k SPG vs 80k SPG is a huge difference. Not everyone has that many points just lying around ready to transfer.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Agree, I think the integration has been very generous to the VX side - especially with a free year of additional status. During mergers the airlines tend to throw goodies to everyone in order the retain the customers through a period of change and uncertainty.
Yes, and then the subsequent slaughtering of program benefits and scaring away of a bunch of sheep in the program flock is more manageable for the program(s) owner/management.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my semi-modest balance of VX points and my not-so-modest balance of SPG points.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by geclub1
Not that I do not trust you. Can you point to another source that lists the refunding value of the 7-night cert? Most blog articles are very vague of it.
It's not written down anywhere that I know of, but I've done it before. You would have to call Marriott (the same number you'd call to purchase a package). Obviously, the refund policy can be changed any time by Marriott, so YMMV. Anyway, Marriott has been very reasonable/flexible with respect to these certificates.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
It's a good comparison but 20k SPG vs 80k SPG is a huge difference. Not everyone has that many points just lying around ready to transfer.
I was trying to compare the two transfer scenarios when you have at least 80-90K SPG points. I agree SPG points are not easy to come by, and a direct transfer to VX (then to AS) is the only (and pretty good) option when you don't have enough points for a Marriott travel package.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I am still debating what to do with Thank You points. The only possibly good use for them that I can see, other than VX, is SQ, which is not a great value. If I convert to VX and then to AS, I lose 35% of the points (.5*Thank YouPoints* 1.3).
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nevsky
I am still debating what to do with Thank You points. The only possibly good use for them that I can see, other than VX, is SQ, which is not a great value. If I convert to VX and then to AS, I lose 35% of the points (.5*Thank YouPoints* 1.3).
I'd rather send them to KrisFlyer
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nevsky
Another reasonable option is to transfer to AF. Flying Blue miles are useful for redemptions on DL (mainland to Hawaii flights, no close-in booking fee, etc.), monthly promo awards, among other things.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:46 pm
Suspended

Another reasonable option is to transfer to AF. Flying Blue miles are useful for redemptions on DL (mainland to Hawaii flights, no close-in booking fee, etc.), monthly promo awards, among other things.
Just a buyer beware here: You can't redeem Flying Blue miles for F on AF metal unless you have top status with AF.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Jeffmiyagi
Just a buyer beware here: You can't redeem Flying Blue miles for F on AF metal unless you have top status with AF.
I believe you CAN'T redeem AF miles for F on ANY metal (not just AF) unless you have top status with them.

In any event, AF miles are only useful for redemption in economy. Their redemption levels for anything other than economy, even premium economy (with very few exceptions), are exorbitant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.