Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Link to transfer Virgin points to Alaska.

https://buy.points.com/marketing/ala.../landing-page/
Print Wikipost

1.3 is conversion rate to Mileageplan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by ps9a
Yes-- I left most of my points in the VX program.
Great news. AS does allow us to arbitrage between the two programs: pay fixed number of AS miles or variable number of VX points for the same flight. Another unexpected bonus, at least for now.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tth6133
Great news. AS does allow us to arbitrage between the two programs: pay fixed number of AS miles or variable number of VX points for the same flight. Another unexpected bonus, at least for now.
I think I'd rather just pay for a cheap VX Y flight and bank the miles to AS, rather than use VX miles for an award flight. And of course pay for the flight with my AMEX Plat for 5x MR points.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I transferred 100 VX out of my 130k+ in my account XD

I wish it wasn't a slider thingy and it was a enter numbers in thingy.

Not exactly instant, but close enough.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:51 pm

Unless one has plans for an AS redemption now, what's the advantage of moving any points from VX to AS at this moment? I'm inclined to keep my points in VX until a transfer is necessary or advantageous. Maybe there's a VX redemption that I'll want later that is more favorable than an AS redemption. (This assumes there's no ability to move AS back to VX after. If transfers work both ways, then the question is moot.)
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by paradox
Unless one has plans for an AS redemption now, what's the advantage of moving any points from VX to AS at this moment? I'm inclined to keep my points in VX until a transfer is necessary or advantageous. Maybe there's a VX redemption that I'll want later that is more favorable than an AS redemption. (This assumes there's no ability to move AS back to VX after. If transfers work both ways, then the question is moot.)
That's what I'm doing, there's no back and forth transfer.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Terminator8
I think I'd rather just pay for a cheap VX Y flight and bank the miles to AS, rather than use VX miles for an award flight. And of course pay for the flight with my AMEX Plat for 5x MR points.
Cheap VX flight translates into fewer VX points (since the number of VX points needed is tied to the fare in the VX program). However, for an expensive VX flight, you might be better off paying fixed AS miles. Sure, you may find even better use for your AS miles on some international flights in F or J cabin, if you can find those seats and the AS program remain as is.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Cheap VX flight translates into fewer VX points (since the number of VX points needed is tied to the fare in the VX program). However, for an expensive VX flight, you might be better off paying fixed AS miles. Sure, you may find even better use for your AS miles on some international flights in F or J cabin, if you can find those seats and the AS program remain as is.
The program will remain as is through at least the end of 2017. That gives one plenty of time to redeem for an international F/J seat.

Even a cheap VX flight booked through AS will net 100% base miles (which will be based on distance, not revenue). Combine that with 5x on the AMEX Plat, and I just can't justify using VX miles for it instead. The math doesn't compute.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
In fact, you will be WAY better paying fixed AS miles for last-minute flights, given that VX->AS at 1->1.3. Especially if you redeem for F. This is probably one of the best arbitrage opportunities out there (read: I suspect AS is being super-generous either by accident or intentionally, but it won't last forever, because like most arbitrage opportunities, they go away once FT and blog readers descend on it like vultures).
Attached Images   
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
In fact, you will be WAY better paying fixed AS miles for last-minute flights, given that VX->AS at 1->1.3. Especially if you redeem for F.
For last minute flights I agree with you. Assuming you can find availability of course.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by paradox
Agreed. In my case, I had a use for them.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
For last minute flights I agree with you. Assuming you can find availability of course.
There's a ton of availability. I've converted a few of my AS Y awards to VX metal F for transcons

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...xx-jfk-vx.html
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS does last seat domestic F awards for 60k one way, which is still a better deal than you'll find on VX transcon (unless they priced the seat super cheap), especially given a 1->1.3 VX->AS transfer ratio.

In the case above, this was for 1/12 (so very close-in). It's pretty good availability, as CDKing said.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:42 pm
Suspended

AS does last seat domestic F awards for 60k one way, which is still a better deal than you'll find on VX transcon (unless they priced the seat super cheap).
Did ORD-LAX for 17K VX points last October.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did ORD-LAX for 17K VX points last October.
In F? That's what, like a $200 flight on VX if you paid cash?

FWIW, 17k VX converts to 22.1k AS, and F awards start at 25k. So OK, it CAN be better (though I would be tempted to pay cash for a $200 VX F midcon flight, that's a hell of a deal). But let's see, 25k AS or 100k VX for last minute F... hmmmm....
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:51 pm
Suspended

In F? That's what, like $200 if you paid cash?
In F yes. Probably about $350.

Yes, almost always, VX F last minute is simply not an option. It can be ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.