Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked this question on another thread but it really belongs on this one (hopefully this does not incur the wrath of the mods...)

Has anyone with the premium CC had any status pts roll over to this year? At first I thought that all points in excess of your tier threshold rolled over, but now I'm starting to wonder if it's just the tier pts that you get from the Visa card (in which case, how they calculate it is anyone's guess)

I'm curious to know peoples' experiences -- how many status pts did you have, how many from CC, and how many rolled over?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:54 pm

So AFs for the first year are posting. Anyone have any luck getting it waved due to issues?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:12 pm
Suspended

I'm surprised nobody knows if the Virgin America card is churnable.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Well, there are some issues, but I doubt it can be made into butter.....
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cringle
Well, there are some issues, but I doubt it can be made into butter.....
You and Louis CK should do a show.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 am

It's barely been out a year and very few people have experience with Comenity. I'm not surprised at all.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:45 pm

Just called and cancelled my card. They stated the perks, asked if I wanted to reconsider. I said no. Said they wanted to keep me around, so what would it take? Waiving the annual fee. We can't do that. They tried to ask about late fees, which we know is how Comenity makes their money. I told them I hadn't had a chance to use it to the point of having any fees because of issues. Card closed. Bye, Felicia.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frindle
Just called and cancelled my card. They stated the perks, asked if I wanted to reconsider. I said no. Said they wanted to keep me around, so what would it take? Waiving the annual fee. We can't do that. They tried to ask about late fees, which we know is how Comenity makes their money. I told them I hadn't had a chance to use it to the point of having any fees because of issues. Card closed. Bye, Felicia.
What late fees?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
What late fees?
Exactly! I barely used the card because of issues, so I had no chance to incur any late fees.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Frindle
Exactly! I barely used the card because of issues, so I had no chance to incur any late fees.
I have used credit cards for a long time and never once payed a late fee. I just pay on time.

They brought up late fees in your retention conversation? In what context? That seems strange. Were they offering you some reduction of late fees or something? If so, that has to be the worst retention offer ever.

I also find it strange that you had all these issues. I've had the card since about September, and I've used it all over the place (in stores and restaurants, buying VX tickets, online, recurring charges, at hotels) and have not had a single issue. I use the card, all my pts post as soon as the statement closes, and I pay it off. This is the best card that I have in terms of rewards on regular spending.

When they told you that they could not waive the AF you should have asked for some large number of pts, like 15k. Even 10k pts is worth more than the $150 AF on the premium card. If they refused that, you should have asked if you can get some bonus pts after some minimum spend. If they still said no, then you should have asked what they could give you.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:11 pm
Suspended

If they still said no, then you should have asked what they could give you.
Anytime I ask for something, the CSR just starts discussing the benefits built into the card (i.e travel protection, medical insurance, etc.). I just want to tell them to shut up and save their canned speech for someone else.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anytime I ask for something, the CSR just starts discussing the benefits built into the card (i.e travel protection, medical insurance, etc.). I just want to tell them to shut up and save their canned speech for someone else.
Well, they said "we want to keep you as a customer, what can we do" so I assume that they could actually offer something.

My point is just that it's a negotiation. Just because they cannot waive the AF does not mean that they cannot give you points (possibly, points which exceed the value of the AF -- many companies under-value pts).

I still am curious to know how late fees entered this conversation.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Well, they said "we want to keep you as a customer, what can we do" so I assume that they could actually offer something.

My point is just that it's a negotiation. Just because they cannot waive the AF does not mean that they cannot give you points (possibly, points which exceed the value of the AF -- many companies under-value pts).

I still am curious to know how late fees entered this conversation.
My guess is they were willing to waive future late fees in case the OP wanted to maintain a balance of some sort.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I think the proper question to ask at that point (the point when they've asked "What would it take to keep you?" and your first ask is declined) is "Well, what can you offer me?"

In general, a substantial point bonus would be a reasonable counter-offer, but in my case I'd point blank inform them that I haven't incurred a late fee since I was in college (which was down to either a date mixup or a messy shuffle of finances when my grandmother dies IIRC; let's just say that the CSR was rather stunned when I replied to their payment plan offer with "No, let's just deal with this whole amount right now...") and did they have anything else on deck?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:45 pm

So I have ignored this card since it came out. I was Gold in 2014 and unfortunately did not hit 50,000 points to renew the status in 2015.

I received an email about 2 weeks ago indicating that if I sign up for the $150 card that my Gold status would renew for 2015 as long as I make a purchase on the card by April. So of course, they got me.

Hopefully I didn't get myself into a huge mess with this card based on all the trouble you guys have mentioned in this thread.

Has anyone else received a similar email from Virgin regarding the status renewal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.