Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:31 am

Yep, Premium card buys you permanent Status for $150 per year.

Not sure what that means. The excess earnings only roll over for one year, and you can only earn a max of 15,000 from the card. You still need to earn enough additionally each year to actually achieve the status for the following year, as well as enough to have extra points above and beyond to roll over each time if that's your goal.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:54 am

Got a survey asking what I thought of the card. Needless to say they got pretty horrible reviews from me.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:55 pm

I just got the mailing for 20k points for $2k spend in 90 days/regular card and 30k points/premium. I'm thinking of getting the regular card for the 20k points Hawaiian Airlines SFO-HNL award. However, there's no offer code or anything that indicates a targeted offer. When I go to virginamerica.com/creditcard (as directed in the mailing--there's no special link), again there's nothing that would make me think I'd get 20K, instead of the usual 10k.

I called Comenity, and they were unaware of the offer and directed me to call VX. Others upthread have asked whether anyone has received the double points. Can anyone confirm they've received the promised 20k/30k?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:43 pm

Credit system down today. Affecting all customer accounts. Cannot charge card
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:43 pm

Mine is ok

I used my card about an hour ago, and my wife used hers 2 hours ago. No problem, so not everyone is affected.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am currently status matched to silver (as of early September). I have the VX Visa so I need only 3k status points to maintain silver through next year. I have the premium one, so my excess status points carry over.

I should have about 25k status pts by the end of the year. So, how many will carry over? Will it be only 5k (since normally 25k are required for silver) or will it be 22k (since I only needed 3k for silver)

I am (obviously) hoping to get the 22k since it would fast-track me to gold for next year.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I am currently status matched to silver (as of early September). I have the VX Visa so I need only 3k status points to maintain silver through next year. I have the premium one, so my excess status points carry over.

I should have about 25k status pts by the end of the year. So, how many will carry over? Will it be only 5k (since normally 25k are required for silver) or will it be 22k (since I only needed 3k for silver)

I am (obviously) hoping to get the 22k since it would fast-track me to gold for next year.
It's however many points you're over your current status (20,000 or 50,0000).
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the point is, I got my silver status at 3000, not 20,000
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:30 pm

I highly doubt you'll get them to carry over 22,000 status points. Good luck explaining that to the clueless Comenity reps.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But the point is, I got my silver status at 3000, not 20,000
Yes, but the bigger point is that this lower amount was a one-time match allowance in order to meet a specific promotional goal, not the airline-stated amounts that you need to reach in order to meet the actual tier goals everyone else has to get to.

Anyway, if you are matched and met the goal, you already have that status through the end of next year already.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cringle
Anyway, if you are matched and met the goal, you already have that status through the end of next year already.
Silver is no big deal; with the amount I fly, I'll always get it. It's about whether or not I get Gold next year, and, if I do get it, how soon I'll get it (since you get so many more points as Gold).

I'm actually considering taking a TC flight in December (before FTE ends) -- it would get me to Gold this year. Not only would I get 14k status points, but it would take my FTE bonus from 5k to 25k... for $2800 in fares I'd get about 75k points, plus gold status, in addition to the round trip first class flight. I figure that Gold status from now (instead of late next year) is worth another 30k pts or so, so really I'd be getting over 100k points for it. That alone almost pays for the cost of the flight (and more than pays for it if I redeem the points with a partner)

I am a big Dolphins fan (and I live in SF), so I could fly out to FLL and watch a Dolphins game in Miami...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:22 pm

I ended up applying for the card because the promo expired 10/15. Neither Comenity nor VX were very helpful with the promo (20k points for $2k spend) I was trying to verify, but I do have the offer that came in the mail. The app process was easy, and I was approved right away. The card arrived in a week via USPS Priority Mail.

Comenity's service is a bit lacking. First, it took four days for a transaction to appear on my online account. With Amex, Citi, Chase, and Barclays, the transactions show up immediately as pending. Second, I cannot choose my due date. Why? "Because we service a large volume of accounts, we sort
accounts by zip code and bill them depending on the geographical area in
which you live. Due to this, we are unable to adjust due dates upon
customer request." Okay, you're so big that it's a burden to actually do something to benefit the card holder. Got it. I'll probably meet the minimum spend and dump this card.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Comenity is not going to be as good as a major bank, but the rewards on this card are way too good to pass up. Elevate points are really valuable.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
My frequent flying will be coming to an end in a month or so, so I am switching the majority of my spend to the Barclays Arrival Mastercard. I will keep using the VX Visa once in awhile though, as I agree the points are worth a nice amount and eventually I will have enough to use on airfare. Then I can use the Barclays points for the hotel/rental car/etc. I think the cards can complement eachother well.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know that earlier there were some complaints about the wrong amount of points posting, or points posting late, etc.

These issues seem to have been fixed (or maybe I'm just lucky). I have had the card for a little over a month, so I've gotten 2 statements (the first one had only 3 purchases before the closing date). Both times, the points posted the day after the closing date (funnily enough, it takes 3 days for them to email me and tell me that the statement is available). The 15k sign-up bonus posted along with the points for the statement where I reached the min spend. The last statement included a mix of VX and "other" spend; the points were calculated and posted correctly.

Next month I should hit $10k spend for the year, which will entitle me to a 5k status point credit, so hopefully the status points post as quickly. But, the reward points are posting faster than my reward points for flights (those take a few days after the flight) so I really can't complain.

I am really not sure why people complain about this card / bank so much. The website is kind of plain and old-looking, but it has everything I need and it's not like I spend all day on the site. The card did take forever to arrive, but so did my last Chase card so I'm not sure that this isn't just par for the course (Amex, on the other hand, sent my new card by 2-day priority mail)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.