Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:06 pm

Thumbs down This card does not work overseas!

This is the worst credit card experience I have ever had. This card does not have 'chip and pin technology' - which basically means that it will not work in most outlets overseas. I called Virgin Visa Comenity customer service two weeks before I traveled to Australia and New Zealand to let them know where I would be using the card and they thanked me for letting them know. They however failed to let me know that this card does not work in certain countries in particular these countries. I did not find this information out until I was checking out of a hotel with a $4,500 bill and my only credit card that i took on my travels with me!!! After over an hour on the phone with customer service, (calling from New Zealand mind you) they told me they would call me the following day to resolve the issue for the remainder of my travels, and discuss reimbursing the Virgin American points that i missed out on (the only reason I signed up for this card!). I have been calling the supervisor i was assigned for two weeks now and he will not return my call. Each new person I call tells me they cannot help me.

Major fail! I feel bad for Virgin American that they put their name on this card.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by LAPOPPY
This is the worst credit card experience I have ever had. This card does not have 'chip and pin technology' - which basically means that it will not work in most outlets overseas. I called Virgin Visa Comenity customer service two weeks before I traveled to Australia and New Zealand to let them know where I would be using the card and they thanked me for letting them know.
That is a drag....I just traveled to Europe and before I went I checked online to see whether or not the Comenity VX charges a foreign transaction fee.. I saw that it does, so I never used it.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by LAPOPPY
This is the worst credit card experience I have ever had. This card does not have 'chip and pin technology'
To my knowledge there are only a few (1-3) cards currently issued in the US with Chip-and-PIN - and they are not generally available.

The vast majority of cards with a chip in the US are chip-and-signature. These require a signature and will not work in most chip-and-PIN kiosks. In fact, because many devices can handle both chip and magstrip, last year in Europe we occasionally found ourselves worse off with chip-and-signature in kiosk situations because the devices would see the chip and expect a PIN, but our non-chip magstrip cards worked fine.

Criticize Comenity over their card quality or foreign transaction fees, but the entire US banking system and card companies must be blamed for dragging their feet on a true chip-and-pin technology, rather than just Comenity.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:46 am

Pin #

When in Canada and Europe, I use my "normal" magnetic strip card in combination with my PIN # and I've had no issues. Trying to use a signature instead of a PIN # is very problematic. I agree, this is an issue with the vast majority of U.S. credit cards and not specific with the Virgin America credit card. Of course, with a foreign transaction fee for the VX card, I will instead be using my Capital One card when traveling in Europe this summer.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:41 pm

Yeah - but with some ATM-type machines, you just feed it the card and have no control whether it chooses to use the magstrip or the chip (especially transit kiosks, in my experience).

I just saw a news story on Target's new pledge to install Chip and PIN (I think) readers and to issue the cards for their credit card. However, there was no mention of the two flavors of chip support. The fact that the current US "solution" is still sadly wanting is ignored.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by MarkBearSF
To my knowledge there are only a few (1-3) cards currently issued in the US with Chip-and-PIN - and they are not generally available.

The vast majority of cards with a chip in the US are chip-and-signature. These require a signature and will not work in most chip-and-PIN kiosks. In fact, because many devices can handle both chip and magstrip, last year in Europe we occasionally found ourselves worse off with chip-and-signature in kiosk situations because the devices would see the chip and expect a PIN, but our non-chip magstrip cards worked fine.

Criticize Comenity over their card quality or foreign transaction fees, but the entire US banking system and card companies must be blamed for dragging their feet on a true chip-and-pin technology, rather than just Comenity.
I have a USAA World Mastercard that offers chip and pin. I had a new card (and pin) sent before a trip to London last year. USAA charges 1% FTF so it was my backup card but never needed to use it. Both my Amex and Visa chip and signature worked everywhere and I never got a second look
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
I just received a non-requested email from Comenity stating that my "new" VX card was on the way and that I should update my auto-payments after it arrives.

Ugh, perhaps this is the new and improved card they were talking about? I hope they are not actually changing my CC#. I dont want to have to deal with switching everything over.

Has anyone received this email?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by SoCalZman
I just received a non-requested email from Comenity stating that my "new" VX card was on the way and that I should update my auto-payments after it arrives.

Ugh, perhaps this is the new and improved card they were talking about? I hope they are not actually changing my CC#. I dont want to have to deal with switching everything over.

Has anyone received this email?
Just got it. My thoughts exactly. (And to make things worse, over the weekend, I moved insurance payments and some other stuff to my VX card after making my annual spend level a different card)
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA G
Per the email, it looks like the only change is in the expiration date.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:07 am

The only thing I noticed was the updated Virgin America logo - anyone catch other material differences?

Card still looks and feels like a mini-golf arcade membership card...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Silver
Just received my new card. It has a multi-color reflective finish, and it feels like the numbers and name might have been etched ever so slightly.

Overall, a better card than the last one.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Just got mine too. What JJGooden said I agree with. I wish it was a bit thicker but oh well. Big improvement overall. Looks less cheap.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Got mine as well... Old card remained in wallet since receiving it and it looks like it has been around the block several times. Hope new card last longer!! LOL

Had some problems getting the activation website to work though. Had to call in to the automated system before it was finally activated.

Looking good VX...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA G
It looks like Comenity has added the ability to automatically pay off your balance each month. ^

Given you can't change your bill cycle date, this was a sorely needed feature.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by SoCalZman
Igerbarg posted this in the other CC forum:

The cards are from Comenity Capital Bank:

Virgin America Visa Signature
15,000 bonus elevate points after spending $1000 in the first 90 days
Up to 3 points per $1 spent
$150 off companion ticket once per year
20% off RED inflight purchases
Free first checked bag for you and a companion.
$49 annual fee

Virgin America Premium Visa Signature
All of the above plus:
20,000 (instead of 15,000) bonus elevate points after spending $1000 in the first 90 days
No change or cancel fees on Virgin America flights
Earn up to 15,000 status points per year
Carry forward additional status points at your annual renewal
$149 (instead of $49) annual fee

some nice benefits. I like how they did not give status perks to cardholders (except the free checked bag). Not diluting the elite program. Very nice.
Are either of these offers still available via any known links?

I keep getting offered 10,000 or 15,000 (premium) elevate point for $1,000 spend, but have not seen the 15,000 / 20,000 point offers.

Until I see the better offers, I am holding out! (In spite of my earlier concerns - Comenity? - it looks like they are here to stay so I am probably going to give them a try.)

How many have spent the $10K and earned the 5,000 status points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.