Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If you had any Virgin America purchases, those post separately. Had my points post for all other purchases, then a couple days later points for VX purchases, then a few days later the extra 2X the points for VX purchases.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Does anyone know if the waived change fee applies to everyone in your itinerary, or just the primary card holder?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by fishy21
Does anyone know if the waived change fee applies to everyone in your itinerary, or just the primary card holder?

Thanks in advance.
Everyone on the same itinerary.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 7:27 pm

New Cards - a comparison

Within the past few weeks, I've gotten 2 new premium level airline credit cards. The differences are startling.

About 3 weeks ago, I received the VX Premium card from Comenity. As discussed, it's flimsy and I worry that the numbers will come off. Their support for online options are limited.

Today, I received my new Aadvantage World Elite MC from Citibank. It arrived in a classy black presentation box. (The unwrapping experience is worthy of Apple) The card itself is very impressive and understated with metallic dark slate color and silver highlights. The online and mobile experience is world-class.

Quite a comparison. You can tell who the big dogs are in both airlines and banking. Although, in both cases, these are the premium cards in their offerings, perhaps the difference in the companies' sizes makes it an unfair comparison. (Although the base annual fees are $149 vs $450, the latter has a statement credit of $200 - and benefits like AC membership are more extensive).

...now that I got the $1K spend taken care of for VX, I've gotta' get working on $10K for my 100,000 AA bonus.

Last edited by MarkBearSF; Feb 8, 2014 at 7:36 pm
Old Feb 9, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Which in the end matters little. It is simply a piece of plastic to earn Virgin America points.

If your main aim in a credit card is a fancy box from a mega bank, than the VX card is not the right one for you. Otherwise the card serves its function which was the only reason I got it.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: Virgin Elevate Silver, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by MarkBearSF
Within the past few weeks, I've gotten 2 new premium level airline credit cards. The differences are startling.

About 3 weeks ago, I received the VX Premium card from Comenity. As discussed, it's flimsy and I worry that the numbers will come off. Their support for online options are limited.

Today, I received my new Aadvantage World Elite MC from Citibank. It arrived in a classy black presentation box. (The unwrapping experience is worthy of Apple) The card itself is very impressive and understated with metallic dark slate color and silver highlights. The online and mobile experience is world-class.

Quite a comparison. You can tell who the big dogs are in both airlines and banking. Although, in both cases, these are the premium cards in their offerings, perhaps the difference in the companies' sizes makes it an unfair comparison. (Although the base annual fees are $149 vs $450, the latter has a statement credit of $200 - and benefits like AC membership are more extensive).

...now that I got the $1K spend taken care of for VX, I've gotta' get working on $10K for my 100,000 AA bonus.
Why would they charge you $450, only to give you a $200 credit?

It's cool you're getting a lot of perks with AA, but I'm also glad my VX card didn't arrive in a lot of useless packaging/waste. My building's blue bin gets full by Tuesday.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chachito415
Why would they charge you $450, only to give you a $200 credit?

It's cool you're getting a lot of perks with AA, but I'm also glad my VX card didn't arrive in a lot of useless packaging/waste. My building's blue bin gets full by Tuesday.
To compete with those getting offers from Amex to use towards an AC membership.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Which in the end matters little. It is simply a piece of plastic to earn Virgin America points.

If your main aim in a credit card is a fancy box from a mega bank, than the VX card is not the right one for you. Otherwise the card serves its function which was the only reason I got it.
Agreed.

And not only that, comparing a card with a $450 annual fee to one with a $149 fee is silly. It's like comparing a BMW to a Ford. They're aiming for 2 totally different markets.

These cards aren't direct competitors because they appeal to totally different people. Most people just aren't sitting down comparing these 2 cards seriously.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:29 pm

I think his point is about more than the box. It's 2014. With a card that has an annual fee there should be things like a great mobile app, enable you to manage your accounts through solutions like Mint.com, autopay, a card that doesn't feel like it's falling apart at the seems (Virgin has even admitted it's terrible and are sending a replacement). These are now the norm and even free credit cards offer these solutions. Overall it's a bummer that they haven't (yet), hopefully they will soon.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alecbarron
Agreed.

And not only that, comparing a card with a $450 annual fee to one with a $149 fee is silly. It's like comparing a BMW to a Ford. They're aiming for 2 totally different markets.

These cards aren't direct competitors because they appeal to totally different people. Most people just aren't sitting down comparing these 2 cards seriously.
Uh, you must not have seen the recent commercials where they are trying to advertise it as a cheaper alternative, using former BMW owners.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Uh, you must not have seen the recent commercials where they are trying to advertise it as a cheaper alternative, using former BMW owners.
You're right. I haven't seen those commercials.

My example still stands though.

If the AA Citi World MC is a BMW 7-Series, the VX Premium Visa is a Ford Fusion. No serious BMW customer is sitting down comparing consumer reports of a 7-Series and a Fusion.

The entire reason Ford would even try to compare themselves to BMW is to leach off the luxury branding of BMW so Ford shoppers FEEL LIKE they're in the same league as those shoppers.

It's classic aspirational advertising that works, but doesn't mean Ford buyers are the same as BMW buyers. The fact that Ford managed to find a few ex-BMW owners to appear in their ads is irrelevant considering the hundreds of thousands of BMW customers that would only leave BMW for a Mercedes, Audi, or Lexus.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:19 am

Agreed.

I'm not so sure of that. I certainly did. I generally try to maintain points/miles in 2 programs. Especially, living in SF, it's great that I can use VX (also for redeeming on VS) - but I need a major carrier, and I've settled on AA for the time being. Typically every couple of years, I take a look at my credit cards and drop the ones I'm not using and sign up for ones that look promising or fit into my current travel needs.

A card has to justify itself. Besides signing-up for the new VX card I dropped my spg Amex. (arguably a more premium card). After a year with my AA card and the included AC membership, I may very will cancel my Amex platinum ...and keep my VX card. So, yes they all compete with one another for my continued business.

I don't know about yourself, but saying that a BMW driver wouldn't consider a Ford may be true, but carrying that argument to credit cards is a bit specious. I assume that many of us who are now using the VX Comenity card also have a more "premium" card as well.

...and although the annual fee is nominally $450, right now, it's $249 with the statement credit, which brings it closer into competition.

No, I don't particularly care about the card's packaging (certainly to the point of affecting a purchase decision). But, especially after all the complaints about the sub-prime quality of the card and the limitations of the online support, I thought the comparison was interesting.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You're right. I haven't seen those commercials.

My example still stands though.

If the AA Citi World MC is a BMW 7-Series, the VX Premium Visa is a Ford Fusion. No serious BMW customer is sitting down comparing consumer reports of a 7-Series and a Fusion.

The entire reason Ford would even try to compare themselves to BMW is to leach off the luxury branding of BMW so Ford shoppers FEEL LIKE they're in the same league as those shoppers.

It's classic aspirational advertising that works, but doesn't mean Ford buyers are the same as BMW buyers. The fact that Ford managed to find a few ex-BMW owners to appear in their ads is irrelevant considering the hundreds of thousands of BMW customers that would only leave BMW for a Mercedes, Audi, or Lexus.
I find the entire "aspirational" credit card marketing comical. I also find the "my credit card looks cheap" complaints comical. Did the transaction go through? Did my points properly post? Did I get the most "bang for my buck" by using this card v. another card on the transaction? I really don't care if a merchant thinks of me zooming by in my Lexus when he sees my credit card v. thinking I might be driving a Yugo, or taking the bus.

Nor do I feel like my important parts grow if I have a fancy card, nor do they shrink if my card is not perceived as fancy.

Right now, I "aspire" to earn a bunch of VX points, I "aspire" to have the card help with retaining status, I "aspire" not to have change or baggage fees, and most importantly, I "aspire" to feel extra-super-important by having an uber-cheap looking piece of plastic in my wallet.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Payments Posting

I made 2 payments last week yet my available credit hasn't reflected those payments. I called Comenity and they state is will take 7-10 business days to fully process. This makes is harder to meet the $30K spend to get 15,000 status points within a couple of months. Just keep in mind the ~2 week delay of your payments posting.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
I made 2 payments last week yet my available credit hasn't reflected those payments. I called Comenity and they state is will take 7-10 business days to fully process. This makes is harder to meet the $30K spend to get 15,000 status points within a couple of months. Just keep in mind the ~2 week delay of your payments posting.
In my case, I made payments through my bank (although they didn't have Comenity a known payee, so they had to send a check) Payment posted in about 3 days (dated to the date of payment rather than receipt).

No miles yet. My statement date is coming up in about a week and when I make that payment, we'll see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.