Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Anyone had success in churning the 10K bonus card?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Cash advance fee for loading to Serve?

Has anyone used their card recently to load an AMEX Serve account? Some other issuers of Visa cards started treating the loads as cash advances and am curious if they are still showing up as purchases for the VX card.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: Skypass, Delta, AA, US Air, Marriott, SPG
downgrading options?

Has anyone successfully downgraded the $149/year to $49/year?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:47 pm

Worst Credit Card EVER

I received the Virgin America credit card in June as my daughter was starting college at SMU in Dallas and I enjoy the nonstop Virgin flight from LAX. I appreciate earning miles and therefore put every possible charge on our 3 favorite cards. Understand that we have excellent credit and pay our card balances in full every month.

This card has been such a pain that I'm seriously considering canceling the account. Rarely does even one week go by without my card being refused for "security". I can be at the same grocery market where I always shop and the card will be refused - it doesn't have to be an "unusual" transaction.

The final straw came today when I received a notice from a well-known charity that my annual donation was declined by Virgin America. While I was speaking to the customer service rep he just happened to mention, "I see 2 charges from the last couple of days which were declined…." yet he couldn't tell me what was declined. Was it a doctor? A bill for which I'll be charged a late fee? Another donation? And when was I going to learn about this latest problem?

I spoke to the most senior Virgin America employee available who was apologetic but said she cannot do anything about the “tight security”. I'm tired of being embarrassed by “suspicious” charges; my husband will not even use the Virgin America card any longer after having a workman's charge refused right after performing work for his business.

To add insult to injury, when I receive a call from the Security Center at Virgin America about the "suspicious activity” it's a robo-call informing me that I need to call the Virgin America office. I don't even have the option of speaking with someone right then and clearing the issue while I'm at the store.

The wasted time and embarrassment are not worth the miles
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by DebraKriz
I received the Virgin America credit card in June as my daughter was starting college at SMU in Dallas and I enjoy the nonstop Virgin flight from LAX. I appreciate earning miles and therefore put every possible charge on our 3 favorite cards. Understand that we have excellent credit and pay our card balances in full every month.

This card has been such a pain that I'm seriously considering canceling the account. Rarely does even one week go by without my card being refused for "security". I can be at the same grocery market where I always shop and the card will be refused - it doesn't have to be an "unusual" transaction.

The final straw came today when I received a notice from a well-known charity that my annual donation was declined by Virgin America. While I was speaking to the customer service rep he just happened to mention, "I see 2 charges from the last couple of days which were declined…." yet he couldn't tell me what was declined. Was it a doctor? A bill for which I'll be charged a late fee? Another donation? And when was I going to learn about this latest problem?

I spoke to the most senior Virgin America employee available who was apologetic but said she cannot do anything about the “tight security”. I'm tired of being embarrassed by “suspicious” charges; my husband will not even use the Virgin America card any longer after having a workman's charge refused right after performing work for his business.

To add insult to injury, when I receive a call from the Security Center at Virgin America about the "suspicious activity” it's a robo-call informing me that I need to call the Virgin America office. I don't even have the option of speaking with someone right then and clearing the issue while I'm at the store.

I don't think that Virgin America staff are the problem here; it's Comenity Capital Bank that you should speak with. Staff employed by Virgin America have no ability to override credit card security features.

I agree that Virgin America perhaps could have chosen a better partner for their co-branded credit card. However, it's incorrect to state that and subsequently base anger on the fact that you "received a call from the Security Center at Virgin America" etc.

If you speak to someone employed by Virgin America, tell them that the partner they chose for the co-branded card is bad, and that it's a bad decision to continue doing business with them. Otherwise, air your grievances with the folks at Comenity, and tell them that their amateur credit service needs to improve. But it's improper to blame Virgin America (an airline) for the failure of Comenity (a creditor) to approve your purchase at a grocery store.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use the card all the time, online, in person and over the phone. I've never once had it declined.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I use the card all the time, online, in person and over the phone. I've never once had it declined.
Same here, and that included Amazon Payments now RB. No issues.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DebraKriz

I'm on my 4th BofA AS Visa card # in the past year and a half or so because of "potential fraud" (never any actual fraud).

Methinks this is the new normal until these companies figure out better security.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm on my 4th BofA AS Visa card # in the past year and a half or so because of "potential fraud" (never any actual fraud).

Methinks this is the new normal until these companies figure out better security.
I have a lot of credit cards (>10). I've had 2 or 3 issues in the past and had cards shut down (all with Chase) but there was actual fraud every time. The only time that I have had a card declined because of suspected fraud was one time when I was on my way home from a trip. The card worked fine throughout the whole trip but was declined when I tried to pay for airport parking after I returned. I think it was an old WaMu card, back when WaMu existed. I just used another card and cleared things up with a quick phone call when I got home.

So, no, I don't think that what you are describing is standard at all.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I've had VegasGambler's experience as well: I've had several cards freeze over the years, but usually it had to do with trips that I didn't think to notify them of. The solution was that I'd switch cards and then call the bank of the card acting up...and the card would be un-frozen within a few hours as a rule.

I have had one or two cases where I had a card get shut off due to fraud issues, but usually it was a case of them sending me a new one and having me activate it to replace the old one rather than just freezing me out.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Having had the card from the beginning, I've not had real difficulties with using it. I do find it is really particular about having the correct billing address when using it online. YMMV.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
Wish every airline card would do the no change fee. Best benefit ever!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver
Has anyone upgraded from the regular to premium credit card? Am wondering whether to open a separate card and then cancel the one I have (is it considered a completely different card and therefore comes with a bonus) or do I simply upgrade the one I have. I know I can contact Comenity for this info, but wondering what others' experience has been, if any, before I do. (A recent hit for change fees helps see the value in the premium card). Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't seen anyone really talk about churning (I've seen some people ask, but no responses).

Having said that, it can't hurt to cancel the old one and apply for the new one, rather than directly upgrading. I would not expect to get a straight answer from a CSR -- their job is not to help you abuse their system.

I'd just try it. If you get the bonus, great. If not, you haven't lost anything, since you were going to upgrade anyway. Please report back.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I haven't seen anyone really talk about churning (I've seen some people ask, but no responses).

Having said that, it can't hurt to cancel the old one and apply for the new one, rather than directly upgrading. I would not expect to get a straight answer from a CSR -- their job is not to help you abuse their system.

I'd just try it. If you get the bonus, great. If not, you haven't lost anything, since you were going to upgrade anyway. Please report back.
I cancelled mine a few months ago. Want to try again but Comenity is such a piece of garbage company not sure they would refund the AF if I cancel after not getting bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.