Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First class on regional jets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: US CP, Marriott Life Platinum, AVIS 1st
Sat in 1A last night on one of the reconfigured E170/175's. Very nice job on the upgrade though the FA said they are not officially treating those seats as FC until Dec.

Last edited by 149113; Oct 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Looks like the E175 conversion is going well. From the website today (Monday at 4:30 EDT):

"Aircraft complete: 17 out of 38 – 45%"
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:48 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by 149113
Sat in 1A last night on one of the reconfigured E170/175's. Very nice job on the upgrade though the FA said they are not officially treating those seats as FC until Dec.
I think you meant 2A since none of the E170s have been reconfigured. Not sure why s/he said Dec.

Originally Posted by geo1005
Looks like the E175 conversion is going well. From the website today (Monday at 4:30 EDT):

"Aircraft complete: 17 out of 38 – 45%"
The reconfiguration is going very well. The tentative launch date has been moved up to the 18th for now. A full 10 days earlier than planned however it has not been announced just in case.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
thanks for this discussion.. !
I now understand why it doesn't show if i make a tentative booking...

In the meantime, when you book...
Because we assign aircraft the day before a flight's departure, you'll see the current seatmap with a Coach-only cabin. Most likely, you won't know if there's First Class until the day you travel. But, be sure to book one and on the day you travel you may get to sit in a First Class seat if your plane is updated – but until the whole fleet is complete, we'll offer Coach service throughout the aircraft.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
I was able to book a first class ticket for a Republic E170 flight on Wed, Nov 9. The fare bucket is first class, and my reservation shows First (A). Is US expecting the 170 fleet to be completed sooner than originally planned?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:03 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by 14thStreet
I was able to book a first class ticket for a Republic E170 flight on Wed, Nov 9. The fare bucket is first class, and my reservation shows First (A). Is US expecting the 170 fleet to be completed sooner than originally planned?
It should be a E175
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Yes, the true FC service wont start until all aircraft of each type is finished. So once all the E170/175 are finished then FC service begans

Originally Posted by 149113
Old Oct 5, 2011, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Yes, the true FC service wont start until all aircraft of each type is finished. So once all the E170/175 are finished then FC service begans
The fleets are seperate. When the E175's are finished they will start FC. When the E170's are finished then they will start.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:17 pm

Was on 3244 from TPA to DCA today in 2A.. nice job... great plane nice cabin.. looking forward to no longer avoiding these flights
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
I can't wait until they install FC on the CRJ900's. I avoid those things all the time, will be nice to have FC on most flights out of PHX!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Yeah me too, I was checking the schedule it appears the end of Nov is when FC Service is to start on the CRJ900s. My flights between PHX-AUS will be so much nicer. I'll be able to get some work on on my flights then.

Originally Posted by seratonin7
I can't wait until they install FC on the CRJ900's. I avoid those things all the time, will be nice to have FC on most flights out of PHX!
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:58 am

Looks like the 1st CRJ-900 has gone in for the first class refit. Unfortunately the out-of-service information shows taking about 3 1/2 weeks to complete.

Ah, found the engineering order for the dual class conversion. The one that is in for the change is considered a prototype for the modification per the C&D Zodiac STC (interior furnishings manufacturer & Supplemental Type Certificate). I'll guess there are still some final certification issues to be worked out with the FAA for the change, and the time for actual interior swap on the remainder should be greatly reduced.

At this point, I wouldn't hold the end of November for a firm date on the FC going active until the planes start getting upgraded. 37 remaining planes, after the current one is completed (and all the paperwork is approved), modded at 1 MX location in one month sounds a bit tight, from my point of view,
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Now this is interesting, Freedom Airlines (a subsiduarly of Mesa) was flying CRj-900s with FC in them for a while (say 2002-2004.) So why would they need FAA approval for the refit?

However I'm guessing not all of the CRJ900s had FC in them so they might need to recertified and bring one in 3.5 weeks early makes sense so they can get the recert done and work on any issues.

Originally Posted by CLTmech
Looks like the 1st CRJ-900 has gone in for the first class refit. Unfortunately the out-of-service information shows taking about 3 1/2 weeks to complete.

Ah, found the engineering order for the dual class conversion. The one that is in for the change is considered a prototype for the modification per the C&D Zodiac STC (interior furnishings manufacturer & Supplemental Type Certificate). I'll guess there are still some final certification issues to be worked out with the FAA for the change, and the time for actual interior swap on the remainder should be greatly reduced.

At this point, I wouldn't hold the end of November for a firm date on the FC going active until the planes start getting upgraded. 37 remaining planes, after the current one is completed (and all the paperwork is approved), modded at 1 MX location in one month sounds a bit tight, from my point of view,
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Now this is interesting, Freedom Airlines (a subsiduarly of Mesa) was flying CRj-900s with FC in them for a while (say 2002-2004.) So why would they need FAA approval for the refit?

However I'm guessing not all of the CRJ900s had FC in them so they might need to recertified and bring one in 3.5 weeks early makes sense so they can get the recert done and work on any issues.
Due to scope issues with US Airways (prior to merger) the first 14 CRJ-900 were delivered to Mesa Air Group/Freedom Airlines to be operated for America West with a FC cabin installed. In early 2004, these 14 planes had the FC cabin removed under another STC to reconfigure the interior to the current 86 seat configuration. The remainder of the -900s were delivered direct from Bombardier with the Y-standard cabin. All CRJ-900s were later transferred to Mesa Airlines during/after the US/AWA merger.

Because the planes are being refitted (or restored to original configuration, depending on point of view) the specific STC documenting the changes/materials/procedure still has to be approved by the FAA for the specific planes being operated by Mesa. Some of the certification requirements are due to the fact that this new STC is replacing the previous one in addition to being applied to further airframes that were not covered in the previous coach cabin conversion.

BTW, Freedom Airlines has faded into the sunset after being dropped by Delta (another convoluted issue).
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
Where are the CRJ900's being converted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.