First class on regional jets

Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
First class on regional jets

Does anyone have a feel for how this process is coming along? I am flying a CRJ900 from PHX to AUS later this month and don't know whether to keep my exit row or move up to the front and hope it's decked out with first class seats (although no drinks yet, as I understand it).
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat
Keep your exit row. I'd bet 20 minutes after the first reconfigured aircraft goes into service we will see an update on here. I haven't heard a peep of it. According to the US website, none have been completed yet:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...irstclass.html

Click the Express tab and then progress report on the bottom of the page.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Thanks for the update. I thought that I remembered an email coming out a little while ago saying that they had started. I like how they lay out the progress on each aircraft type on the web. I can't wait until they go from 0% to 100% done.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I'll be on a bunch of E175 and 170s in August so I've snagged 2A in each case. That is a great seat for the 175 all-coach and an average seat for the 170 (which often gets swapped for a 175). If I do end up on FC updated planes that's a good single-side FC seat.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
There was an update sent about 2 weeks ago, that is discussed quite thoroughly in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...allations.html
Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:17 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
none of the Republic planes have been taken out service to start the reno. We do have a generic spare that floats between F9/DL/UA and a few times on US. It only has 6 FC seats though.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I have a flight from CLT to SYR on 9/17. I had been in 2a and 2b but had the seats changed on me, presumably for the changeout. Seat 2b disappeared, so I rebooked in 6a and 6b. I am flying 1st class on my other flight from SFO to CLT. Should I try to get re-seated in Rows 1-3 in case of the refitting being done by then? Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:30 am

Any update on this? Will the first-class seats actually be wider?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The CRJ-700 and 900's have wider seats in FC. Having flown FC on UAX flights on the CRJ700 I can tell you they are nice.

I was searching for flights to FAT (from PHX) and noticed that the seat map for those flights are showing FC on the CRJ900s, but the CRJ 900s for the PHX-AUS flights are showing all coach. From what I have read, no real FC service until all the aircraft are finished with thier upgrades. There are no upgrades to these seats either, they will be booked as Y.

Originally Posted by M20009
Any update on this? Will the first-class seats actually be wider?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by geo1005
I'll be on a bunch of E175 and 170s in August so I've snagged 2A in each case. That is a great seat for the 175 all-coach and an average seat for the 170 (which often gets swapped for a 175). If I do end up on FC updated planes that's a good single-side FC seat.
In identical position ... just snagged 2A in an E170, this for an October flight. I should "turn Platinum" just before then, in which case I assume that this will morph into FC.

But just what sort of assumption am I making ?
  1. That the planes will be reconfigured by October. If not ... ?
  2. That I will be among the elect allowed to stay in FC. But if not, where will they shove me, and when ?

Hate to be heretical, but 2C was such a "dream seat" (not that 1D and 1F, of the old 2A were so bad either [although am I thinking of E175 ?]) that I find myself wondering if this is a "be careful what you wish for !"
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:57 am

Programs: US Airways - Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I was searching for flights to FAT (from PHX) and noticed that the seat map for those flights are showing FC on the CRJ900s, but the CRJ 900s for the PHX-AUS flights are showing all coach. From what I have read, no real FC service until all the aircraft are finished with thier upgrades. There are no upgrades to these seats either, they will be booked as Y.
Just curious, which dates did you encounter this for the FAT flights?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
But just what sort of assumption am I making ?
  1. That the planes will be reconfigured by October. If not ... ?
  2. That I will be among the elect allowed to stay in FC. But if not, where will they shove me, and when ?
My understanding is that until all planes of that type are reconfigured, those booked in the "lucky" seats will stay there, regardless of status, with coach service.

After all the planes of a given type are reconfigured, the seat map will be reloaded and those in the new F seats will be moved to the back, with upgrades processed as usual. My experience with other movements into Y with US suggests that "where" will be "any open seat."

The 170s aren't due to be completed until December, though, so the latter scenario seems unlikely.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by dtremit
My understanding is that until all planes of that type are reconfigured, those booked in the "lucky" seats will stay there, regardless of status, with coach service.

After all the planes of a given type are reconfigured, the seat map will be reloaded and those in the new F seats will be moved to the back, with upgrades processed as usual. My experience with other movements into Y with US suggests that "where" will be "any open seat."

The 170s aren't due to be completed until December, though, so the latter scenario seems unlikely.
Thanks. I didn't know about the December thing, but otherwise this conforms to my understanding. Which, again, is that the whole thing is a mixed blessing. Assuming no change, 2C will still exist ; but I can't book it now ! Whereas, if there is a change, and I am not upgraded, I'll be riding in 17F or 18A.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Aug 17, 2011 at 8:53 am Reason: Changed hypothetical re-assigned seats ... had forgotten what the back of an E170 looked like !
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Data point: I have E175 flights booked to depart Dec 24 and return early January. I intentionally booked row 2 in hopes of capturing FC seats. Those reservations have now been "modified" to show coach starting in row 4 and me in row 6. I'll just hope for the upgrade....
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Just bough a flight LAS-CHS with an A fare for 11/21 Was suprised that I am now confirmed in FIRST for both legs including the Republic E175 leg.

Last edited by ellinj; Aug 18, 2011 at 5:49 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.