Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated US Airways Praise Thread ("I love...was surprised....Wowed!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
US Airways seems to consistently have competitive fares very close to the travel date and I always appreciate them for this. Last month I bought a RDU-PHL-SWF ticket less than 18 hours before departure time for $106.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold

I got upgraded to 1A last week and as everyone was boarding the FA came on and gave the routine speech of "overhead is full, time to gate check bags". Just then a woman boarded with a rollaboard, backpack and a poster in a tube. She seemed completely distressed about checking her bag, but the FA in 1st was quick to grab a plastic bag to help the lady pull out some of her valuables so the bag could be checked. I imagine that ever since US started charging for bags they run into this situation frequently. After take off I gave her one of my A&B's and judging by how grateful she was to receive it, it seemed to me that this kind of stuff goes largely unnoticed.

I assume their direct supervisors read the comments on the A&B's, but does upper management read them as well? I would hope that Dougie knows customers are not pleased with having to pay for bags, but do you think he understands that the FA's are the ones that take the heat when the overhead is full?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Very good staff on CLT-LGA flights

I've seen some really excellent FAs on CLT-LGA (and reverse) flights.

The last one I took had a FA who called us "Mr./Ms. (last name)" and came around as we were landing and said to each passenger, "Thank you very much for flying with us, Mr./Ms. (last name)".

Another one gave me the whole bottle of wine to take home, on a different flight.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:52 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Positive experience – Thanks US Airways

On these forums, we are so quick to complain, which is fine, but tonight I wanted to share a positive experience I had with US Airways. As a Super Elite member with Air Canada Aeroplan I learned that I will be 1,768 miles shy of an important threshold for year end, so I needed a mileage run and found a cheap and quick run from SYR to MCO for $219 a.i. The website was not working so I called in and spoke to a great lady, lost her name, but she booked my flight, with gogo wi-fi on all but one leg, aisle exit row on all but one leg, so I think I will enjoy this flight and I was very pleased with her manner and effort.^

I originally did the same booking through United and they are still confused with their product knowledge and were not as nice, so that booking was cancelled and I stayed with US Airways. So far each flight with US Airways has been a positive one for me. Thanks again ^
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:28 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I just had the nicest flight I have ever had with US:

ORD-PHX on US6 (continuing on to LAS): wonderful F F/A, smiling all the time, very professional, I was called by name, coats were hanged, PDB offered plus refill, FEBO was followed, meal was nice, dessert was served separately, numerous re-fills were offered (she was even serving drinks when we started our decent into PHX - I really wonder how some folks managed to leave the a/craft without assistance). I gave her an A&B cert.

To my surprise the same F/A's were operating US6 PHX-LAS: this is an extremely short flight, so normally it is sort of 'one drink and get lost' but she managed a PDB plus 3 rounds of drinks and even helped Coach F/A's with service...

Very good experience... Very fine F/A...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

Lucky day flying.
I was able to get to the airport early on Saturday for my 2:55 flight MCO-PHL and being the good FT'er that I am, I knew there was room on the two earlier flights. I asked the agent about moving up to an earlier flight and she said she thought she could do better than that. We got on the noon flight, also snagging two upgrades!
Double bonus!! Made it home before the snow caused delays in PHL. Thanks to a great counter agent, we had a nice flight home in F!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: US CP; Starwood Platinum
I switched into a new job in mid-2011 requiring a significant amount of U.S. travel, particularly to Phoenix. So I affiliated with USAirways and flew about 60,000 miles that year and 100,000 miles in 2012, with more to come in 2013. Some of that was on United, but I'd say 80% or more was on USAirways metal.

I don't have a single horror story or cause for complaint. Occasionally, bad things happen, but outside the control of the airline. But my common experience is that USAirways will get me to where I'm going, on time, on a clean plane, and with a fair chance of upgrades that has only gotten better with time, and that when a flight is late, they make it possible for me to make my connection. Except for the mobile side of things (which at least isn't failing on iPads any more), the web site has met my needs.

For all the flights I've taken, I'm fortunate to have it all be so routine. I hear people who travel much less frequently complain about a flight, but I can only suppose they have had worse luck than I have.

[Now that I've posted, I see that this is my first post - I didn't realize I've been only lurking here for so long. But I assure you, I'm a real and boring person who has no affiliation with US Airways. Just someone who inadvertently ended up as a business traveler without planning to and mostly reads the Starwood boards, and is now back here figuring out how I can use my CP certs this year.]
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by 02143
...Now that I've posted, I see that this is my first post - I didn't realize I've been only lurking here for so long. ...
Welcome to (posting on) FlyerTalk, 02143, and hope it won't be another 7 years before we see ya around again
Old Jan 29, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was flying ORD-CLT on an A-319 last Sunday. There was a woman seated in 9D (the exit row with only two seats in it) who had the seat next to her, 9E, empty. A F/A came to her and said there was a really tall man (he must have been 6'6 or above) who was very uncomfortable farther back and she'd like to seat him in 9E. The F/A was very friendly about how she handled it and she told the woman in 9D she would be happier to provide her with free alcohol as compensation if she wanted.

It was very well handled by the F/A, far better than "you just sit there" as it could have been ^
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
US handling of IROPS

I bet you thought this was going to be a complaint!

It's not, it is a compliment.

Anyway, I was booked XXX-CLT-YYY on the last flight of the day. I noticed about 4 hours or so before my flight that XXX-CLT was delayed and I only had about a 40 minute connection to begin with. I kind of assumed it was due to weather as there was some bad weather in and around the area.

About an hour later I got a call from someone at US advising I was going to misconnect and could I travel the next day. I asked if it was a wx delay and she checked and said no it wasn't. So I asked if she could book me on the DL non-stop from XXX-YYY. She checked and was going to have to hold for DL so she offered to call me back. 20 minutes later she called and I was all set with a confirmed aisle seat on DL.

Nice thing was that I was on a Y fare so it booked into Y on DL and I ended up #1 for 1 seat on the upgrade list and got it at the gate.

The proactive call by US was the key as by the time I got to the airport the DL flight might not have been available as it was pretty full. So overall, very nice job by US. Maybe this is how they handle IROPS most of the time, maybe not, I don't know as I've not had this type of IROPS with US but if it is then it's nice to know that they are proactive about this stuff.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
I bet you thought this was going to be a complaint!

It's not, it is a compliment.

Anyway, I was booked XXX-CLT-YYY on the last flight of the day. I noticed about 4 hours or so before my flight that XXX-CLT was delayed and I only had about a 40 minute connection to begin with. I kind of assumed it was due to weather as there was some bad weather in and around the area.

About an hour later I got a call from someone at US advising I was going to misconnect and could I travel the next day. I asked if it was a wx delay and she checked and said no it wasn't. So I asked if she could book me on the DL non-stop from XXX-YYY. She checked and was going to have to hold for DL so she offered to call me back. 20 minutes later she called and I was all set with a confirmed aisle seat on DL.

Nice thing was that I was on a Y fare so it booked into Y on DL and I ended up #1 for 1 seat on the upgrade list and got it at the gate.

The proactive call by US was the key as by the time I got to the airport the DL flight might not have been available as it was pretty full. So overall, very nice job by US. Maybe this is how they handle IROPS most of the time, maybe not, I don't know as I've not had this type of IROPS with US but if it is then it's nice to know that they are proactive about this stuff.
Good story ^ Plus the added benefit of the double dipping by earning DL miles and retro claiming US miles too!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Good story ^ Plus the added benefit of the double dipping by earning DL miles and retro claiming US miles too!
As an FT'er I would have to hang my head in shame if I didn't do this.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
The pilot of US 924 saved my trip yesterday. Although I had allowed 3:30 for my connection in ORD because I never trust that airport, our flight was almost 3 hours late getting to ORD. Worse yet, there was a complete ground halt due to lightning and we were trapped 20 feet from the gate for another hour. No planes were moving, so I hoped that I'd still catch my UA LHR Global First award flight because they hadn't loaded that plane yet, but I was afraid that when the ground halt was lifted, they'd get going faster than I could make the long trek across to Terminal 1. For some reason, our pilot kept trying to find a way to get to the gate despite the lightning and he eventually persuaded them to let him taxi behind a "Follow Me" truck. This saved our bacon because we were able to traverse the airport during the ground halt.

This was particularly huge because our LHR flight was already loaded and just sitting there waiting to push back as soon as the ground halt was lifted. To my delight, they unlocked the door and loaded us on the plane (having to eject some poor non-revs who had scored the lucky upgrade when it seemed we wouldn't make it). It never would have happened if the pilot wasn't creative at finding a solution to get us out of the plane. I noticed dozens of other flights sitting away from their gates whose pilots weren't working the system.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: US Airways Platinum 2012, Hilton Diamond
Great flight on June 12 from CLT to SEA on US 1579. On time and great cabin service from Nancy during the flight. Had to keep changing altitude due to turbulence but Captain keep the turbulence to a minimum. Especially appreciate glassware and china during meal service.

Jim
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA ExePlat
Great Gate Agent on Friday June 28 Gate B10 PHL-BOS. Had to deal with rolling delay of nearly 4 hours due to weather and remained upbeat the entire time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.