Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated US Airways Praise Thread ("I love...was surprised....Wowed!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated US Airways Praise Thread ("I love...was surprised....Wowed!)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
Originally Posted by PSUPaul
Due to where I live I almost always have to fly through PHL F term and my PHL experiances can sometimes leave something to be desired, but is that a USAIrways problem or a PHL problem?
It's a PHL problem. GA's are rude and poorly trained at PHL but good elsewhere. A single raindrop falls 10 miles away and they shut down the airport, a PHL, not a US issue. US baggage is ok most places but terrible, and I mean terrible, at PHL. Again, indicating a PHL issue. This may be a local US leadership issue at PHL but to that I cannot attest.

My US experiences are generally good. PHL is a dump.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:28 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
Awesome flight attendant on the DCA-TPA last week. When she dropped off my glass of wine, she said, "Mr. USFlyer26, I noticed that you are a Chairman with US. On behalf of the crew and the entire US family, I wanted to personally thank you for your business and continued loyalty to US Airways." We went on to have a nice chat while everyone around was wondering who the hell I was.

Really nice, and much appreciated.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Avis Prefered
Originally Posted by airgator
It's a PHL problem. GA's are rude and poorly trained at PHL but good elsewhere. A single raindrop falls 10 miles away and they shut down the airport, a PHL, not a US issue. US baggage is ok most places but terrible, and I mean terrible, at PHL. Again, indicating a PHL issue. This may be a local US leadership issue at PHL but to that I cannot attest.

My US experiences are generally good. PHL is a dump.
My assumption, and experience, also. Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Did a mini-mileage run last Saturday and at the end of the PHX-ONT segment, I asked the FA if she was doing the turn back to PHX. She replied yes and I said, "Well, so am I" So she cheerfully responded with "Ok, see you in a few minutes then!"

Upon boarding, there were two FAs who cheered as I got on the plane. I barely sat down and here comes my PDB of choice. ^

It turns out that they are quite familiar with mileage runners and sincerely enjoy expressing appreciation for our patronage. Very nice.

P.S. - as I deplaned in PHX, the FA goes, "Hey, if I see you again, that must mean you're stalking me." Hahaha.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Thumbs up

Hey mods,

Are your sure this allowed on this forum?

As long as I've been on FT, the only time I've seen nice things said about any airline has been on OTHER airline's forums, where its used as a put down of the airline who's forum its put on.

I though this must be some kind of rule, if not one of the "commandments" of FT (Thou shall not compliment an airline, except on another airline's forum where it is used as a put down of said airline...)

:-) :-)
Old Dec 8, 2010, 6:13 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
Due to where I live I almost always have to fly through PHL F term and my PHL experiances can sometimes leave something to be desired, but is that a USAIrways problem or a PHL problem?
As someone also responded, it's a PHL problem. City of Brotherly Love my a**.

My sister was going through security with a brace on her arm due to a broken arm, and was moving slowly because she was basically one-armed. The TSA agents yelled at her that she was holding up the line. Mind you, it wasn't busy and they all watched her take her brace and sling off.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by BOS2DCA

My sister was going through security with a brace on her arm due to a broken arm, and was moving slowly because she was basically one-armed. The TSA agents yelled at her that she was holding up the line. Mind you, it wasn't busy and they all watched her take her brace and sling off.
I try to give them a break since I am from PA but it is hard sometimes. I have met some of the rudest GA's in PHL, also some very nice people.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
I try to give them a break since I am from PA but it is hard sometimes. I have met some of the rudest GA's in PHL, also some very nice people.
The ladies in the US Air club there are great. I have also met some nice gate agents too, but they're few and far between. As someone who is from BOS and frequently at LGA, I have a pretty high tolerance for rudeness, and a lot to compare it to.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
As someone who is from BOS and frequently at LGA, I have a pretty high tolerance for rudeness, and a lot to compare it to.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:49 am

The ladies in the US Air club there are great. I have also met some nice gate agents too, but they're few and far between. As someone who is from BOS and frequently at LGA, I have a pretty high tolerance for rudeness, and a lot to compare it to.
I agree totally, the club saints are great, and there is an occasional polite GA but the sad thing is that they are notable just because they happen to be polite.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: US Airways CP, UA 1K, DL Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat
Diverted to the Azores because of medical issue

I was on MAD-PHL and we were diverted to the Azores because someone had a medical issue. It made an 8 hour flight into a 12 hour flight. I was in Envoy, and the service was great and it made the extra 4 hours seem no problem.

Now the economy passengers.....
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
Been very impressed with US with customer service when I've had to call. Absolutely outstanding, and even held pretty well during the meltdown in December 2010, and was extremely helpful in getting my flights refunded even though I was mid-transit when I got screwed.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: US Silver, HHonors Silver
Without a doubt. I'm from PA as well, and PHL is pretty much my only connection option to where I have to fly (SCE or IPT). I find most of the nasty GA's are in the F terminal, which seems to be where my problems with US occur. The F club ladies are usually great, but I've had a few bartenders who had quite the attitude. B/C club is almost always great.

Other than PHL, I've had pretty great experiences with US. Both planes and personnel. Few bad egg FA's, but that is to be expected anywhere. I've been happy with the comfort and cleanliness of the planes lately too. Was up front BOS-PHL last week and had an FA who brought 2 bottles of Finlandia and a can of tonic to me, and 2 of Tanqueray and a can of tonic to my seatmate. I know some people would prefer to be served each time, but I thought this was fantastic!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Gold
Great Gate Agent in GSO!

I was in GSO yesterday, on day 2 of trying to get to MKE. After 2 morning flights to CLT were canceled, I finally got booked on GSO > DCA > ORD and was taking bus from ORD to MKE. As I was sitting at the gate for a mechanical delay to DCA, the gate agent called me up to the podium. She said that United now had some seats on a weather delayed direct to ORD. She got me on that one, and we pulled out just before the DCA flight did. I'll take a direct any day. Nice job by this great gate agent to be proactive! I wish I had gotten her name - I'll have to get it on my way back thru on Friday...Cudo's to the GSO staff for handling the CLT debacle very professionally!
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Looong Journey (and Post) Turned good by US Surprise

Long post, apologies in advance.

During the recent storms on the East Coast last week I encountered a little snafu going from PHX-LAS-CLT-LGW. I left PHX on Jan 11th, the morning after my Tigers won the BCS National Championship (War Eagle!) so I was in an incredibly good, if tired and hung over mood. Even more so was the fact that my Transcon flight got upgraded and I decided to fork it over for the Envoy upgrade as well (an aside, for those of us that don't take many domestic segments, its especially nice to get an upgrade when we do). I checked with US before leaving PHX and my LAS-CLT flight was going ahead as scheduled. Upon arriving in LAS, lo and behold it was cancelled. I gave a call to the friendly folks at the Plat line and was quickly rebooked via LAS-PHL-LHR, sadly no upgrades available on either leg, but thats life, and hey, I could finally check out the A330-200s.

I went to a gate to have my boarding passes printed and enquire about what would happen to the bags. I was given an exit row then told "I do people, not bags, you're going to have to find someone else to sort your bags out for you" ...hmm not quite sure who that someone would be, but I was a bit stunned and didn't come to till she had taken her purse and left the gate.

I waited in another line to check on the bags and was told;
"Oh, they've been sent to baggage claim, you need to pick them up there. And hurry, you only have 30min to check them in."

Off I go, and after locating them and getting back in line I get them rechecked, and commented on the GA that 'doesn't do bags.' When I described the woman, she rolled her eyes an apologized. Off to the gate, where I turn up as they're boarding Z1.

On I go, get settled, crack my book till an Angel GA walks up and says Mr. Plon, we have a seat for you up front, hurry and move up, so I do, and am pleasantly surprised, thinking things are turning up. About 3 min before the door shuts, another GA comes up to me and says, "sorry, the man who bought this seat actually turned up, move to 12D"…Damn.

Off I go, to find 12D occupied. "wait here don't move," I was told as if I had somewhere else to go. After some musical chairs, 8E opens up and off we go. As the FA was shutting the bin doors she said to me;
"How did you end up back here? I thought you were in 2C?!" "So did I, but evidently Mr 2C decided to make the flight with us after all" I told her, she laughed, patted me on the shoulder and said "That's terrible, thats just terrible." But I was on a plane and we were on time.

Upon arrival in PHL, the snow had begun, and there were strings of cancellations, so I headed to the Envoy Lounge (my first visit) to relax for a bit. I was impressed with the size, the food, and the emptiness of it. With 4 Int'l departures left, there were only about 8 people in the Lounge.

1 Hour before departure they make an announcement that there was a maintenance issue with the LHR flight, and we'd be delayed about 45min.
An hour later they said there was an Oxygen leak on board and it would take another an hour and half to fix it. The next announcement pushed it to 10:30, and they came round to the 2 of us left in the lounge and gave us some food vouchers. I went to stretch my legs and get some food, and on the way out the lounge Angel said make sure to come back, I'm here till you all leave. And here comes another announcement, departure is pushed back to 12am, they cant fix the problem and are switching equipment (no A330-200 for me).

Well at 10:30 the only thing open in D was Chickie & Pete's and the entire plane is hungry... Most of the pax are in good spirits, including a FA in the line with us who is charming the ones getting unruly, (really wish I had some A&Bs). By this time I realize its not worth walking from A26 to the Envoy lounge and wait at a neighboring gate. Departure delayed again till 1am. Last plane in the airport, and the snow is coming down hard. I park myself at the end of the desks and eavesdrop on the GAs answering questions and coordinating things.
A short exchange with an incredibly frustrated GA team and the Catering Team:

"Catering this is A26"
"Catering, this is A26"
"Hello? Anyone there"
"Oh, yeah, catering here"
"Are you coming to cater the aircraft?"
"Wait, its there? They told us it wouldn't be there till 1:30 or 2.."
"Nope, its here, we're looking at it"
"Oh, cause you know, its not 1:30, we weren't gonna come till the plane got there"
"Buddy, the plane is here. Are you going to cater or not?!"
"Oh. Ok, yeah, we'll head over."

So here they are, catering a plane for a bunch of people who just ate. Plus, who wants US PastaSurprise with frozen mozzarella balls at 3am anyway?

Well 1:00 comes and they begin the boarding process. We've complete boarding by 1:30, and by 1:45 the door is shut. How is it that I had infinitely more leg room on my A321 flight from PHX then I do now? Hmm... I'm really starting not to like the 300s anymore.
We pull away from the gate with our own retinue of snow plows clearing the way to the deicing station, where we wait for so long I fall asleep and awake thinking we're in London. Nope, still Philly, still deicing.

Wheels up at 3:10. Joy.

But wait, more joy to come...

Upon arrival into LHR T1's IRIS is finally working again as I realize its really not worth going into the office at this point. We all are waiting in Baggage Claim, and our flight doesn't post. 20min... 30min... 45min...
"Hello, welcome to Heathrow. Passenger announcement for US 728. There is a delay in the baggage coming to the terminal, we'll keep you apprised of the matter. Thank you for your patience"
55min...
"Hello, US 728, it seems as if the cargo door to the baggage compartment is frozen shut. Engineers have been advised and they are currently working on a solution. We will keep you...(blah blah)"

At this point some people proceed to go and yell at the folks at the *A desk. As if yelling will really unfreeze the door. We're all tired, everyone wants to go home. Sit down and shut the hell up unless you want to go blow your hot air and see if you can defrost things.

1hr 10min later our bags arrive, and for the second time ever, mine are the first ones on the belt (who knew, the priority tags actually do work sometimes!)

Fast forward to this evening, when I get an email from US:

Dear Mr. Plon:

The purpose of this letter is to convey our sincere apology for the difficulties you experienced when Flight 728, from Philadelphia on January 11, 2011, was delayed due to a maintenance concern which required a change of equipment. We understand this caused a delay in your arrival into London. The safety of our passengers is always our first and foremost concern; therefore, delaying the flight was the right decision. Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and any frustration this situation caused you.

To convey our apologies and regain your confidence, I have authorized a $175 Electronic Travel With Us Voucher (E-TUV). Your E-TUV is valid toward the purchase of travel on US Airways. Please be advised the E-TUV is not valid with Internet bookings and must be redeemed within one year from the date of this correspondence. In addition, please take a moment to read the terms and conditions listed below to receive the full benefit of this compensation. When you are ready to make your future travel arrangements, please call our Reservations Department at 800-428-4322 and provide the E-TUV code listed below. The customary ticketing fee will not be assessed at the time of booking with our Reservations Department.

The E-TUV code is:
XXXXXXXX

We appreciate and value your business and look forward to serving you on a future US Airways flight.

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXX
Representative, Customer Relations
US Airways Corporate Office

Well proactive customer service. Who knew?! At first I thought it was due to the EU passenger bill of rights, but because its a mechanical issue I'm pretty sure they're exempted from compensation. Anyway, was a welcome surprise, and the string of US Angels along the way did make it a tad better. US did their best to keep everyone informed along the way, and one more safe arrival is all any of us can ask for.

Sorry for the long post and letting me indulge myself.

Last edited by plon; Jan 16, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.