Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated US Airways Praise Thread ("I love...was surprised....Wowed!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated US Airways Praise Thread ("I love...was surprised....Wowed!)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:16 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 1967cougar
whats an A&B card?
Above & Beyond certificate. Each year US elites (S,G,P and C) get booklet with I think 12 of them.
I have surplus of 36 so I've been giving them away in bulk lately
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Above & Beyond certificate. Each year US elites (S,G,P and C) get booklet with I think 12 of them.
too bad they dont make them available to non US elites. I know theres a link on their website for complaints/compliments. I'll start there.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:00 pm

finished half of my MR, second half is return home tomrw. I have to hand it to US, it was one of the nicest experiences I've had flying. The 11/26 service from phl-muc on the new 1 2 1 envoy configuration was fantastic. Comfortable seating, great crew, didnt want for anything. Thought I'd mention this considering the amount of anti US air sentiment I've seen out there. Not a single hiccup with anything.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!!!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Same from me.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
finished half of my MR, second half is return home tomrw. I have to hand it to US, it was one of the nicest experiences I've had flying. The 11/26 service from phl-muc on the new 1 2 1 envoy configuration was fantastic. Comfortable seating, great crew, didnt want for anything. Thought I'd mention this considering the amount of anti US air sentiment I've seen out there. Not a single hiccup with anything.
I agree- I'm generally satisfied with US. I've had one or two horrendous experiences, but that's in 12 years of flying- so 98% fine.

Just curiuos- you went in Envory on a mileage run?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I agree- I'm generally satisfied with US. I've had one or two horrendous experiences, but that's in 12 years of flying- so 98% fine.

Just curiuos- you went in Envory on a mileage run?
I did, they had $1500 fares from the US to germany. With my origination in GRR, I had several first class segments state side and then z on all european legs. Basically: GRR ORD PHL MUC NUE MUC PHL BWI ORD GRR, just a nice 2 day trip. currently *S so looking at it made sense. with class EQM multipliers, it was about .05cpm. Still a little high, but I did it because I am *S in BMI Diamond club, who's ultimately merging with Mile & more, so I wanted to be in position to be transitioned as an Miles/More Senator. MM has done this in the past when combining FF plans from LX LO etc. plus in the past they gave you a 2+yr validity on senator. I fly to europe often enough to make sense of it
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:19 am

I have not flown US Air for over 2 years. I am leaving Delta for Continental where I have lifetime elite status. Because I fly out of PBI, the only way to make CO work for me is by also using US Air flights.

So it is good to see some positive comments.

US was my main airline from 2005 to 2007, and even though service could be poor, I always felt the cabin staff were the greatest. Much better than Delta.

US was also my main carrier from 1970 to 1980, and 1995 to 1996.

I loved the BAC 111's from Mohawk acquired i the merger, and the 11 or so they purchased from Braniff for about $1 million each.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:41 am

I can't believe there's not more carriers doing this. What a great way to make sure the crew look out for their FFs.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Its a good way to single out great employees. You can give them to anyone working for US. From check in staff to the pilots and anyone inbetween.
Every quarter US is doing drawing. 10 employees get $10K each cash prize. There is also 5 $2K prizes etc.
Also employees with A&B certificates can swap them for buddy pass.
Cool way to recognize hard working people.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:51 am

US has a bad reputation, but I have had several positive experiences over the last couple of years with some pretty heavy US flying.

Just an example — BOS-PHL-BOS roundtrip this holiday weekend, dirt cheap fare thanks to WN ($140 refundable each way) and upgraded to FC at the 7 day mark with my CP status.

Outbound BOS-PHL on the E190 —
Plenty of US staff at the ticket counter on a busy travel day, so no lines.

Very pleasant crew at the BOS US Airways Club, which is a great lounge except that the annoying "privacy dots" (or is it glare-reducing dots) on the windows obstruct what would otherwise be a great view of the US operations and "Delta ramp."

The E190s are always a little more stressful in boarding due to the smaller overhead bins, but the lead FA still serves pre-departure drinks and hangs coats while still helping passengers find overhead space. Was surprised that she didn't just hide in the galley and use the excuse that the flow of passengers prevented PDBs, as often is the case.

We push 10 mins early (which happens often on US) but have a 30 minute sit in the penalty box due to PHL ATC (nothing out of the ordinary). Another round of beverages up-front. When we get airborne, multiple rounds of drinks and passes of the snack basket. Just a terrific FA who clearly saw her role to be up and active in the cabin the entire time, not just perform one pass and take a break the rest of the flight. Well-earned A&B certificate. I should have given her multiple but didn't think of it!

Arrived 10 mins early.

Return PHL-BOS on the A319 —
Got to the airport early expecting security delays but breezed through. Wandered around the int'l A concourse since I haven't flown through there in a while. Very nice concourse. Would have loved to stop by the Envoy Lounge but didn't think I would get admitted as a Club member/CP on a domestic trip (can anyone verify?). I recall when the concourse first opened, the lounge was both a US Airways Club and Envoy Lounge. The Envoy Lounge was within (or maybe on the separate side of) the Club and was the section with the real food, etc. But I didn't see any US Club branding anymore.

So I retreated the B/C Club, which is also great. The US clubs may be lacking a bit on amenities (e.g., food) — though they hold their own in the soft department — but the physical space is usually terrific, at least at PHL, BOS, DCA, TPA and perhaps CLT C/D (though always too crowded at CLT).

Pre-departure drinks on the A319. Just 3 or so pax in FC plus 6 crew members in uniform. A319 pushed 10 mins early again. Another round of drinks in the air. Very easy flight, arrived 20 mins early.

So, nothing fancy, but a very pleasant travel experience. The only thing that still seems cheap to me about US is their branding and lack of glasses in FC. Neither influences my purchase decisions, but there are a few things that still remind me that this isn't the US of old.

Speaking of the US of old:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...s-airways.html
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BizJet
You know, most of what you posted 8 years ago still is valid.

Ok, so there's no PIT hub anymore, and no more PowerPorts at every seat on A319, but 98% of your post still rings true.

I think there's something positive to be said about that.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
I had a good experience with US recently. My flight from FRA to CLT was delayed three hours and I would have missed my connection to TPA. So I went to the ticketing desk at FRA which is located right across check-in and there were three US Airways agents to take care of passengers. US Airways has two daily flights out of FRA and I was really impressed that a small station like FRA has so many agents stand-by. I had a really cheap ticket but US Airways rebooked me without any discussion on the flight to PHL and a connecting flight from PHL to TPA. I arrived in TPA only one hour later than original planed.

Only thing no so positive about US Airways is the shape of their A330-300 aircraft. The cabin could really need a complete makeover. It was really in bad shape and you could see the heavy usage.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:16 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Also employees with A&B certificates can swap them for buddy pass.
Sadly the A&Bs are only good for entries in the company lottery - they can't be redeemed for anything else. Before the merger on the west side you could redeem ten A&Bs for two Q class tickets anywhere we flew.

Cool way to recognize hard working people.
It's a great way to personally let the employee know that you're happy with them, but the company won't hear a thing as they don't file or track the A&B's. If you want the company to know about the good service the employee provided, you have to write a letter.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:12 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by awaflyboy
Sadly the A&Bs are only good for entries in the company lottery - they can't be redeemed for anything else. Before the merger on the west side you could redeem ten A&Bs for two Q class tickets anywhere we flew.

It's a great way to personally let the employee know that you're happy with them, but the company won't hear a thing as they don't file or track the A&B's. If you want the company to know about the good service the employee provided, you have to write a letter.
Thanks for letting us know. I used to write letters all the time, but when I started getting these A&B I started mailing them.
On DL the certificates result in bonuses for the employees.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: SPG, Continental, USAir, United, AA, Delta
Great US Airways FF experience!!!

So I'm usually a Continental loyalist (have had a great series of customer service experiences, find in-flight entertainment/meals slightly above the other US carriers, etc.), and ever since their move to StarAlliance I have been trying to get rid of my now "orphan" 90K USAir miles. But I just had a great experience with USAir that makes me think I should keep them around.

Long story short is I was planning an Asia vacation for Christmas/New Year's, flying into Singapore and out of Hong Kong. Surprisingly, when I booked in Sept only 3 months out, I was able to get the exact dates I wanted with minimal connections (~6 hrs in Frankfurt on the way in and Munich on the way out, not bad coming from Boston) and using the lower "saver" mileage level. This by itself is enough to throw a party given some of the trouble others have booking flights, especially during such a peak travel period.

Then at the end of October, disaster struck - Lufthansa cancelled my flight from Hong Kong to Munich. They immediately rebooked me on an earlier flight (not sure if the seat was available or if they forced an opening to accomodate me), but I was disappointed as it involved losing a day in Hong Kong (11 AM flight vs. 11 PM), plus having to spend the money for an overnight hotel in Munich as my connection was not till the next day. The USAirways people were very kind, putting me through to a supervisor immediately, who spent two hours trying all sorts of combinations trying to get me on a later flight out of Hong Kong. She wasn't able to find anything, but made a note in my file that she tried and failed and that future agents should try to accomodate me without a change fee.

So two weeks later, the friends I was supposed to meet in Hong Kong bailed, and I decided to spend the time relaxing on the beaches of Phuket. Called USAir again, and they had no problem changing my flight to fly out of Bangkok - SwissAir had a connection in Zurich available, and they forced a seat open on a USAir flight back to Philly, then there was availability Philly to Boston (so I had an extra leg, but the connection in Zurich was shorter than the original in Munich and anyway quite impressive given availability day after New Year's). As far as they were concerned it was completely their fault (even though it was really Lufthansa's), and so they opened that extra seat for me ZRH-PHL, didn't charge me the change fee, and could not have been more polite during the entire incident - no need to beg or wheedle to get the fee waived at all.

So yes, there was a SNAFU, but ultimately SNAFU was Lufthansa's fault and US did an excellent job covering for them. Thought I'd report some good news given how much bad is always reported here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.