Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by snic

If you're referring to the comments about restrooms, they apply only to the Y cabin. I don't think the restroom situation is so dire for F (8 pax to 1 restroom) and C (20:1).
The move from 2 lavs in F to 1 is noticeable, also we have the fence so at times the lav isn't available at all. My main complaint is the C cabin feels really cramped, the seats hang over into what was the aisle and it just feels crowded. F is better but now both times my suite has had problems with the side storage bin, which is kinda lame considering how new they are.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the answer to one of my questions is that we don't know if 777 conversions have stopped or not.

What about the other question: can I now pretty reliably count on SFO-LHR being on new config?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So the answer to one of my questions is that we don't know if 777 conversions have stopped or not.

What about the other question: can I now pretty reliably count on SFO-LHR being on new config?
Q 1. no idea.
Q 2. Yes, even United "suitedream" web site lists SFO-LHR UA 930 and LHR-SFO UA 931 as being new Config. plane routes.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Q 1. no idea.
Q 2. Yes, even United "suitedream" web site lists SFO-LHR UA 930 and LHR-SFO UA 931 as being new Config. plane routes.
I somewhat disagree. It has changed several times on me in spite of it being the new 777 at online check-in, the most recent being Oct 8th. Perhaps the mothballing of 955 over winter will mean it does stay as the new 777.

I have to say that on reflection I prefer the old 777, warts and all. Those effin touch screens with pax that feel they need to jab it with all their might are seriously getting to me on the new 777.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
[The only thing I noticed was FA still did the live safety demo on that flight. I thought they can play video since every seats have own tv monitor. Does anyone have same experience when you are on 77Q?[/QUOTE]

I had this on the 77Q back from IAD, it was very old school and done over the pa, suffice to say most pax carried on watching their movies. And those of us sitting backwards felt odd following along!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rajsbasi
[The only thing I noticed was FA still did the live safety demo on that flight. I thought they can play video since every seats have own tv monitor. Does anyone have same experience when you are on 77Q?

I had this on the 77Q back from IAD, it was very old school and done over the pa, suffice to say most pax carried on watching their movies. And those of us sitting backwards felt odd following along!
My flight to LHR on the 4th did use the monitors, my return on the 16th did it manual. so seems to be up to the crew but you raise a good point, with the rear facing C seats it would seem they should have to use the monitors or do something other than stand in the front of the cabin, since otherwise those rear facing folks wouldn't see the safety stuff.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:36 pm

See posts 1220 and 1225.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
My flight to LHR on the 4th did use the monitors, my return on the 16th did it manual. so seems to be up to the crew but you raise a good point, with the rear facing C seats it would seem they should have to use the monitors or do something other than stand in the front of the cabin, since otherwise those rear facing folks wouldn't see the safety stuff.
My SFO-LHR flight had the FAs walking up and down the C cabin ensuring we could all see the demonstration.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:48 pm
Suspended

I noticed my flight UA924 from IAD-LHR in jan is still old config.
I went and tried july dates...still old config.
guessing its staying with old F
grrrr
I really hope UA does not eliminate F
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:52 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a thread somewhere on choosing seats on the new config 777 (like the one for the new 747)? Of course I tried a few search permutations but couldn't find anything that way!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Is there a thread somewhere on choosing seats on the new config 777 (like the one for the new 747)? Of course I tried a few search permutations but couldn't find anything that way!
Here you go:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-cabin-19.html
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:42 pm

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
I suppose this question is best aimed at worldtrav or planemechanic. The current rate of progress, which has been discussed here previously, is about one conversion per month. Do we have any reason to believe that this rate may increase, or should we plan on it taking another 3+ years for the entire int'l 777 fleet to be converted (assuming the conversions aren't a casualty of the merger)?

Actually, another thought based on that last bit - is it even possible for UA to get out of the conversions if the new management wanted to? Do we know if the contracts have already been signed / money laid out? I imagine we don't really have access to the answers to those questions...
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182
The move from 2 lavs in F to 1 is noticeable, also we have the fence so at times the lav isn't available at all.
IMHO. 1 lav for 8 pax is something I can handle.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I noticed my flight UA924 from IAD-LHR in jan is still old config.
I went and tried july dates...still old config.
I very much doubt UA is projecting their fleet out to July 2011. From the looks of it, they decide on routes that go from old-> new a couple of months out.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
IMHO. 1 lav for 8 pax is something I can handle.
I know pax/lav ratio is how things are commonly looked at and if you look only at that metric it does sound OK, right 1/8 for F vs 1/20 for C and so on....the thing is there's still just 1 lav. So if 1 person goes on an extended visit you end up with no lav, having the second one was better for just this reason. Also old F was 2 lavs for 10 seats, or 1/5 so yes while its not the end of the world its not as good as before. Also while I'm complaining, , it would have been nice if UA had done some improvements to the F lav, having cloth towels ala SQ and some nicer amenities. I also don't understand the obsession in the US with pomegranates but I completely hate the new "stuff" in C/F lavs, the H20 face spray was nice and I wasn't really paying attention last month and sprayed that new smelly crap on myself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.