Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by ryan182
I know pax/lav ratio is how things are commonly looked at and if you look only at that metric it does sound OK, right 1/8 for F vs 1/20 for C and so on....the thing is there's still just 1 lav. So if 1 person goes on an extended visit you end up with no lav, having the second one was better for just this reason. Also old F was 2 lavs for 10 seats, or 1/5 so yes while its not the end of the world its not as good as before.
Most FAs won't have a problem if you leave the F cabin to visit the C lavatories, especially if the F lav is occupied by an extended visitor, or if it's blocked off because one of the pilots is in there.

Now is a good a time as any to bump my earlier question: does anyone know what happened to the 2nd of 4 bathrooms in the central part of the economy cabin? 1 of 4 was sacrificed to provide access to the crew rest area, but what about the other one (there are now only 2; there are 4 in the same location in the old config).
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by tjtenor4
I suppose this question is best aimed at worldtrav or planemechanic. The current rate of progress, which has been discussed here previously, is about one conversion per month. Do we have any reason to believe that this rate may increase, or should we plan on it taking another 3+ years for the entire int'l 777 fleet to be converted (assuming the conversions aren't a casualty of the merger)?

Actually, another thought based on that last bit - is it even possible for UA to get out of the conversions if the new management wanted to? Do we know if the contracts have already been signed / money laid out? I imagine we don't really have access to the answers to those questions...
The plan is to have 2 lines running next year when some airplanes are due for heavy checks so that increases the output.

As to your questions in the 2nd paragraph, you answered your own question in the last sentence.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by snic
Now is a good a time as any to bump my earlier question: does anyone know what happened to the 2nd of 4 bathrooms in the central part of the economy cabin? 1 of 4 was sacrificed to provide access to the crew rest area, but what about the other one (there are now only 2; there are 4 in the same location in the old config).
There are two restrooms in the center of the Y cabin - one that is entered forward of the corridor between the aisles, and one entered rearwards. The rearwards restroom is unusually large compared to the other one - much longer across the width of the airplane, with a large standing area on the CD side and the lav itself on the EF side. This one "disabled" restroom has replaced the two restrooms that were in the same place in the old config 777s.

Andy
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Reading some of these later posts, I am beginning to feel not so excited about what they have done to my former favorite....
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:23 pm

The reason for the ruduction of the mid section restrooms is because of the new condfiguration of 3-3-3. The old configuration of 2-5-2 give the mid section enough width to fit 2 ressrooms. That is the reason why the last row of that section across from the FA crewrest entry, there are only 2 seats on each side instead of 3. The large restroom is made larger across 3 seats to be the handicap restroom. However, there are some new configuration that still have the crewrest seats in the cabin and the entry hatch become the 3rd restroom in the mid section. United should relocate the 4 restrooms to the side of the airplane instead of the mid section like other airlines that have 3-3-3 seating and that will solve the problem. It is just poor planning,IMO.

Oops. I forgot it will take away the exit seating....
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
When the new C first came out, it really was a big improvement and I still find it very comfortable. I do think, however, that UA ought to think about switching to a herringbone layout/seats. I find these to be a little more private and comfortable to fly in. Does anyone know what kind of layount CO is using?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
861 IAD-GRU 10/23 is the new config

Plane was supposed to be the old config with crew rest downstairs, but when I checked in I found I had been moved from 22B to 22D.

Checked UnitedCargo and my return on 860 on Thursday is the new config as well. I guess IAD-GRU is the changing over gradually?

It explains my SWU not clearing, less seats. Damn!!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Originally Posted by jwbbx
Plane was supposed to be the old config with crew rest downstairs, but when I checked in I found I had been moved from 22B to 22D.

Checked UnitedCargo and my return on 860 on Thursday is the new config as well. I guess IAD-GRU is the changing over gradually?

It explains my SWU not clearing, less seats. Damn!!
And the return 10/24 was obviously also the new config. When I checked in at GIG, I noticed 860 from GIG-GRU had a 2-4-2 seatmap (they directed me to the Easy Chicken, which was unusual). Rookie mistake, I didn't press further at check-in why the deviation (it is however contracted staff anyway) about switching to GRU-IAD vs. GRU-ORD, and only got to enjoy it for one hour
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by rajsbasi
I had this on the 77Q back from IAD, it was very old school and done over the pa, suffice to say most pax carried on watching their movies. And those of us sitting backwards felt odd following along!
I was on UA930 (SFO-LHR) last week. My seat in C was 7G, forward facing 2nd row. From this middle seat it was virtually impossible to see the manual safety demo because of the dividing screen.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Buzzman
Reading some of these later posts, I am beginning to feel not so excited about what they have done to my former favorite....
Agreed. As someone who travels in E+ most of the time, only occasionally being upgraded to C, I'm disappointed. The old config had 6 excellent E+ seats, while the new config ones aren't as good. The restroom situation is awful. However, the new C is brilliant but with a lower chance of being upgraded....
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 5khours
When the new C first came out, it really was a big improvement and I still find it very comfortable. I do think, however, that UA ought to think about switching to a herringbone layout/seats. I find these to be a little more private and comfortable to fly in. Does anyone know what kind of layount CO is using?
Sorry bro this isn't going to happen. Good feedback but they are way to far into this to change anything.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
That would probably require UA to redesign the C/F product, and then spend additional time getting the new config certified. Not worth the extra money and time to switch.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
That would probably require UA to redesign the C/F product, and then spend additional time getting the new config certified. Not worth the extra money and time to switch.
Exactly. I would bet money that UA has also contracted to purchase the 777 interiors, so UA would be scrapping already paid-for materials in order to switch everything over, as well as the costs for new configurations, FAA certification and so on. So all the "OH NOES TEH SKY IS FALLING" about UA ditching F in the immediate future are misguided, IMO- they'll finish what they started on the 777s, simply because it will take a while for them to evaluate where they want to go with intercontinental F/C. If UA decides to dump F, we'll see it when they start getting 787s and 350s delivered, and when their next cabin refit occurs.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Very similar to UA (shells, non-herringbone, etc) but all forward facing and 2-2-2 on the 777.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I thought the FAs are suppose to do the motion twice for IPTE C manual demo, once facing back of the plane (normal position), and second time from the back of the cabin for backward facing passengers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.