Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:42 am

United Bump Credits - can they be used to purchase other things besides flights?

Can credits received from United for being bumped off a flight be used for other things besides flights? I notice on the United website that in addition to flights, other travel/transportation items are available such as hotel stays, car rentals, cruises, and packaged vacations - can United bump credit be used to purchase these items as well?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by rack him
Can credits received from United for being bumped off a flight be used for other things besides flights? I notice on the United website that in addition to flights, other travel/transportation items are available such as hotel stays, car rentals, cruises, and packaged vacations - can United bump credit be used to purchase these items as well?
There should be n extra page to the booklet with the terms listed, it's flights only, and I believe UA/co metal only, no partners
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
You can only buy a UA-coded UA-operated airline ticket and there are only two ways to do it: at the airport or by mail (call in to get the rez on hold first).
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Palal
You can only buy a UA-coded UA-operated airline ticket and there are only two ways to do it: at the airport or by mail (call in to get the rez on hold first).
has been expanded to CO metal (even if T&Cs state UA metal only

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ntinental.html
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I've got a $500 TypeB customer relations voucher (the blue one that looks like a check) expiring this Friday (yeah, I know-penalty for me) but my 2 questions are.....

Can I use this on a mixed itin of SFO-IAH-PBI/PBI-IAH-SFO with the first leg on a UA flight (metal & flight number) if I book thru UA or is this a YMMV situation?

Is there is a residual after purchase* (i.e. the fare is less than $500), do I get a new voucher for the difference and if yes, will it have the 8/5 expiration date or a new one expiring one year from date of issuance. From the T&C's on the cert, it looks like I do get a new voucher but I'm concerned about the expiration date

*Item 20 on the reverse of the cert says:

Residual Value of Voucher: When the discount certificate amount is greater than the cost of the ticket, the difference will be returned in the form of a new voucher

Last edited by goalie; Aug 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should be okay with CO metal now, I'd call in and give them the ressie and certificate type. Run the Rez and see what they say.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by GoingAway
You should be okay with CO metal now, I'd call in and give them the ressie and certificate type. Run the Rez and see what they say.
Thanks and I'm hoping . I also e-mailed a friend who works at SFO (UA lobby agent who is a whiz at ticketing) to see what she says. Should hear back later tonight/tomorrow morning and will report back.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
I've got a $500 TypeB customer relations voucher (the blue one that looks like a check) expiring this Friday (yeah, I know-penalty for me) but my 2 questions are.....

Can I use this on a mixed itin of SFO-IAH-PBI/PBI-IAH-SFO with the first leg on a UA flight (metal & flight number) if I book thru UA or is this a YMMV situation?

Is there is a residual after purchase* (i.e. the fare is less than $500), do I get a new voucher for the difference and if yes, will it have the 8/5 expiration date or a new one expiring one year from date of issuance. From the T&C's on the cert, it looks like I do get a new voucher but I'm concerned about the expiration date

*Item 20 on the reverse of the cert says:

Residual Value of Voucher: When the discount certificate amount is greater than the cost of the ticket, the difference will be returned in the form of a new voucher
To update....

Called reservations yesterday and had them hold it so I could go to SFO this morning and ticket the reservation (first 3 legs on Co and the last leg on UA).

All done in less than 10 minutes with a residual $109 voucher expiring a year from today
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
My advance apologies if this has been covered, but:

I have a voucher given to me by an overseas friend. It is in his name. He wants me to use it for MY travel and he doesn't have any upcoming travel needs on UA.

How can I use this cert without him being present at ticketing???
Thanks!! Dave
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bseller
My advance apologies if this has been covered, but:

I have a voucher given to me by an overseas friend. It is in his name. He wants me to use it for MY travel and he doesn't have any upcoming travel needs on UA.

How can I use this cert without him being present at ticketing???

Thanks!! Dave
I have used gifted paper vouchers by ticketing at the airport or ticket by mail. A few years ago, I would always have a signed letter that said the voucher was a gift just incase I was asked. I was never asked.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Have gone through this entire thread, but did not see clear match to my question.

I have one $100 Travel Credit Exchange Coupon remaining from original paper booklet of four (Type B; from a VDB). I plan to purchase a ticket for each of two people on a single PNR. The price of one ticket is $55; additional taxes and fees are $10.70 for a total of $65.70 for one ticket. $110 base price for the pair; $131.40 all-in for the pair.

So in what way will I be able to use the Coupon?

1) Only for the $55 base price of one ticket (residual value lost), or
2) The total $65.70 price for one ticket (residual value lost), or
3) For $100 of the total price of the two tickets, or
4) Other (please describe)

Obviously, I’m hoping for #3.

Thanks.

(To save answering the question later: The $55 base is a one-way LAX-SFO trip in October.)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by jmd001
Have gone through this entire thread, but did not see clear match to my question.

I have one $100 Travel Credit Exchange Coupon remaining from original paper booklet of four (Type B; from a VDB). I plan to purchase a ticket for each of two people on a single PNR. The price of one ticket is $55; additional taxes and fees are $10.70 for a total of $65.70 for one ticket. $110 base price for the pair; $131.40 all-in for the pair.

So in what way will I be able to use the Coupon?

1) Only for the $55 base price of one ticket (residual value lost), or
2) The total $65.70 price for one ticket (residual value lost), or
3) For $100 of the total price of the two tickets, or
4) Other (please describe)

Obviously, I’m hoping for #3.

Thanks.

(To save answering the question later: The $55 base is a one-way LAX-SFO trip in October.)

#2.

No chance you need a return on that flight?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
#2.

Is that right? The customer appreciation vouchers are not valid for tax/fees, is the vdb treated differently? (and cool if that's the case)
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
#2.

Nope. The purpose of the flight is for the two of us to return home (SFO) after returning to the US on an FRA-LAX *A award flight.

Thanks for the quick response.

(Why flying to LAX? 'Cuz FRA-LAX awards were available when we needed them, and FRA-SFO awards weren't ... plus no LAX-SFO award inventory when we needed them ... believe me, I looked! Hence, the need to buy LAX-SFO tickets.)

Is that right? The customer appreciation vouchers are not valid for tax/fees, is the vdb treated differently? (and cool if that's the case)
A post in this thread from back in the 2009 time frame said it could be used for tax/fees (can't find the post again), but wanted to verify ... and address the two passenger issue. Think I'll just use the voucher for another $100+ trip.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 9, 2011 at 8:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Yes. VDB certs go against the all-in price. Customer appreciation certs go against the base fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.