Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by schley
How to redeem VDBFREE & Systemwide Travel Vouchers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An FYI to those who want to redeem VDB / Vouchers

1. If they are in your name and for you simply make a reservation over the phone, which can be held for 14 days, and either go to the airport to redeem or mail it in to:

United Airlines Discount Certificate
17501 Michigan Ave
Dearborn, MI 48126

2. If they are for someone not named on the voucher. You can have them make a reservation over the phone, which can be held for 14 days, and either go to the airport to redeem or mail it in to:

United Airlines Discount Certificate
17501 Michigan Ave
Dearborn, MI 48126

If mailing you will also need to include a copy of your picture ID along with a letter that includes your name, UA mp #, passenger name and the PNR. In the two line letter say:

This letter is to confirm I'm giving this voucher/VDBFREE to XXXXXXXXXX as a gift. Please apply this voucher/VDBFREE to XXXXXXXX 's PNR XXXXXXX.

Sincerely,

voucher/VDBFREE holder
UA mileage plus # xxxxxxxxxxx

3. Make sure to write in the PNR on the voucher/VDBFREE before mailing it in as there isn't a place for that but I think it helps eliminate any confusion. There are 3 lines (pass. name, date of return travel, flight # of return travel) but no place for the PNR, simply write it above those lines.

4. Your ticketing date is what needs to be looked at as the expiration for ticketing only. You can book 330 days out from that date, thus travel doesn't need to be started or completed by the ticketing date, only the that the ticket needs to be issued by that date. Actually if your voucher/VDBFREE has expired, but less than 30 days after expiration, they will allow you to still travel but the entire trip has to be completed within 60 days from the ticketing expiration date.

The above is for VDBFREE and UA Systemwide Travel Vouchers.

Type A, B, AB maybe the same (I know Systemwide is treated like a Type B voucher)
A copy of id or the person named on the vdb vouchers is a newer requirement that has come up. UA called me with that request and held ticketing for a few more days so it could be sent in
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:23 pm

Programs: United 1MM
Quick question using VDB travel credits

I've got some VDB credits here and I'm in Wellington, NZ at the moment and am looking to book a multi-city trip in the US for a month from now. There is a restriction of using the travel credits in person at a United counter or authorised agent. I don't know of anywhere here though.

Here's my question(s):

1) Can I book and pay for the flights with my credit card, then get the amount credited back later by presenting the travel credit coupons to a United counter or authorised agent? Say, book today and on Friday when I land in Melbourne, I go to the United counter w/ the travel credit coupons.

2) Are there issues when booking a ticket in USD at a foreign location? I'm using united.com for all the pricing.

Any advice on this? I don't know of any travel agents in the area here as I'm here for 6 days.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I don't think you can do #1. If you need to lock in the price now you can do ticket by mail and either mail it from NZ or if you'll be back in 6 days IIRC you get 15 days for ticket by mail so you can mail it as soon as y ou get back and it should get there in time.

When I used VDB vouchers at NRT, I made the reservation over the phone (in USD) and the agent at the airport converted the amount not covered by the vouchers (about $20) into JPY and charged that to my card. It was still priced out in USD though.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by briank1973
1) Can I book and pay for the flights with my credit card, then get the amount credited back later by presenting the travel credit coupons to a United counter or authorised agent? Say, book today and on Friday when I land in Melbourne, I go to the United counter w/ the travel credit coupons.
No.

I don't know about the other part, but what is wrong with waiting until Friday?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:50 pm

Combining Type B Vouchers

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can use all of the coupons from the same book at one time or seperately. You can not combine with other certs.

more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...09-onward.html
I redeemed some Type B vouchers last week at the airport and contrary to the rules printed on the vouchers and seen elsewhere in this thread, the agent allowed me to combine the coupons from multiple booklets as I saw fit.

I called and put 2 reservations on hold:
#1 was 3 round-trip tickets for wife and 2 kids. ~$200 each, $600 total
#2 was 1 round-trip ticket for myself, with outbound flight same but return flight on a different date. $267 total

I had 4 books of vouchers, Book 1 with 4x$100 coupons, Books 2-4 each having only 1x$100 coupon each. I figured my minimum cash outlay would be $267 by splitting Book 1 into two sets of $200, then using Book 2 and Book 3, while throwing away the last $100 from Book 4.

However, when I showed up I asked the agent if there were any limitations around combining the credits, and he said no. He then processed them such a manner I was able to use all $700 worth of vouchers and only paid $167 out of pocket.

Not sure if this is widely known, but was certainly news to me and was contrary to the rules printed on the ticket, so thought some fellow FTers may benefit. YMMV!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Based in mexico I tried to use some vouchers type B from United.

I search on ITA an itinerary prices at $377 and told by call the united agent exactly the same route. The result: the same ticket prices at 1200$.

How is this possible ????how should I use these vouchers...any tips?
It seems that any itinerary I find online will be prices double or higher with united on call.

What is the best way to use them?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Based in mexico I tried to use some vouchers type B from United.

I search on ITA an itinerary prices at $377 and told by call the united agent exactly the same route. The result: the same ticket prices at 1200$.

How is this possible ????how should I use these vouchers...any tips?
It seems that any itinerary I find online will be prices double or higher with united on call.

What is the best way to use them?
Verify that you're in the same fare buckets as ITA is showing.

The only time there has been a price difference between ITA and the phone agent, it's been in my favor.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
I asked them about the huge difference....and they told me that I am seeing promotional fares on internet that they will not be able to pull if I called them.

So now I am asking myself how to use these vouchers....
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
So now I am asking myself how to use these vouchers....
call and ask for web support to help you witht the booking.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Hello! I just got from a friend 4 x $100 type B vouchers exp. tomorrow. Couple quick questions. Can i still book a refundable reservation and this way extend it? Can I UPS them the vouchers (easier to postmark)?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by mberlew
I redeemed some Type B vouchers last week at the airport and contrary to the rules printed on the vouchers and seen elsewhere in this thread, the agent allowed me to combine the coupons from multiple booklets as I saw fit.

I called and put 2 reservations on hold:
#1 was 3 round-trip tickets for wife and 2 kids. ~$200 each, $600 total
#2 was 1 round-trip ticket for myself, with outbound flight same but return flight on a different date. $267 total

I had 4 books of vouchers, Book 1 with 4x$100 coupons, Books 2-4 each having only 1x$100 coupon each. I figured my minimum cash outlay would be $267 by splitting Book 1 into two sets of $200, then using Book 2 and Book 3, while throwing away the last $100 from Book 4.

However, when I showed up I asked the agent if there were any limitations around combining the credits, and he said no. He then processed them such a manner I was able to use all $700 worth of vouchers and only paid $167 out of pocket.

Not sure if this is widely known, but was certainly news to me and was contrary to the rules printed on the ticket, so thought some fellow FTers may benefit. YMMV!
I'm in a similar situation. I want to book four tkts using the same PNR since my wife is a 1K and she can then book the other three people in E+.

Can I book them using one PNR but still use $950 of type B vouchers? Or do I have to book using four PNRs and apply the vouchers individually?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:47 pm

Can type B vouchers be used for US-Canada flights?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:53 pm

Yes.
Originally Posted by honmani2
Can type B vouchers be used for US-Canada flights?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Nelumbo
Yes.
Good news!

On a different note, tried to use both type B and AB vouchers and was denied. Was never a problem in the past.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
I refunded my refundable tix paid with paper vdbs and got 4 400 electronic credit vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.