Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
How to use United Travel Vouchers?

I have a few United travel vouchers obtained for being VDB'ed. (technically they are called travel credit exchange coupons).

I tried using them on United.com but always get an error "unable to validate the promotion code or eCertificate number you entered".
Is there a trick to using those vouchers or do I need to call support an be charged a fee?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
You will need to call reservations and take the vouchers to the airport or mail them in.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...09-onward.html
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Antipode
You will need to call reservations and take the vouchers to the airport or mail them in.
And you will be exempt from ticketing fees.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
I use vouchers for itineraries where I want to call Reservations to make my booking for some other reason (e.g., I can't get the routing I want to come up on united.com and I want to avoid using Orbitz).
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
And these VDB vouchers expire one year from the issuing date. So make sure you use them before they expire. You can apply them for both base fare and taxes.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lax2010
And these VDB vouchers expire one year from the issuing date.
Note that's the ticket-by date. You still have another year after that to complete the travel.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Note that's the ticket-by date. You still have another year after that to complete the travel.
That is absolutely correct! You have until end-of-schedule to travel which is about 300 days (or is it 330 days?) from the VDB expiration day.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010
You have until end-of-schedule to travel which is about 300 days (or is it 330 days?) from the VDB expiration day.
Actually, you can go beyond end-of-schedule by changing the ticket. The absolute limit is one year from the original ticketing date.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you for your responses.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:46 am
jtn

Programs: UA 1K
Question about Type A voucher

Although this thread is for type B vouchers, hopefully someone can answer regarding the type A voucher.
I have a international trip, which I plan to use a $400 voucher. The lower fare itinerary has some CO codeshares. I know from before that e-certs can be used with CO codeshares now. Not sure about type A vouchers. Does anyone have experience?

(These are the kinds that you have to mail in or get ticketed at the airport...and they're not type B (4x100) )
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Ticket by mail using a B voucher (in someone else's name)

In the past, I've taken my spouse's B vouchers to the airport to purchase tickets for myself. By the book, UA requires the person named on the voucher to be there. I usually carry a letter with his driver's license verifying the person is there.

What about ticket by mail? I assume that I can enclose the letter. (I also assume I can send my request in his name).

Can those versed in this offer insight?

Thank you!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Yes I have done this via ticket by mail with no problem.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
I usually carry a letter with his driver's license verifying the person is there. ...
I have had no problems for TBM with a signed/dated photocopy of the person's DL.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I have done the following without any problem via ticket by mail:

a) Copy of driver license/passport from type B voucher's owner with a signed and dated note authorizing me using his/her type B voucher/s
b) Copy of driver license/passport from type B voucher's owner without a note
c) Just type B voucher/s with no attachment

Above (a) is preferred.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:28 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
How to redeem VDBFREE & Systemwide Travel Vouchers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An FYI to those who want to redeem VDB / Vouchers

1. If they are in your name and for you simply make a reservation over the phone, which can be held for 14 days, and either go to the airport to redeem or mail it in to:

United Airlines Discount Certificate
17501 Michigan Ave
Dearborn, MI 48126

2. If they are for someone not named on the voucher. You can have them make a reservation over the phone, which can be held for 14 days, and either go to the airport to redeem or mail it in to:

United Airlines Discount Certificate
17501 Michigan Ave
Dearborn, MI 48126

If mailing you will also need to include a copy of your picture ID along with a letter that includes your name, UA mp #, passenger name and the PNR. In the two line letter say:

This letter is to confirm I'm giving this voucher/VDBFREE to XXXXXXXXXX as a gift. Please apply this voucher/VDBFREE to XXXXXXXX 's PNR XXXXXXX.

Sincerely,

voucher/VDBFREE holder
UA mileage plus # xxxxxxxxxxx

3. Make sure to write in the PNR on the voucher/VDBFREE before mailing it in as there isn't a place for that but I think it helps eliminate any confusion. There are 3 lines (pass. name, date of return travel, flight # of return travel) but no place for the PNR, simply write it above those lines.

4. Your ticketing date is what needs to be looked at as the expiration for ticketing only. You can book 330 days out from that date, thus travel doesn't need to be started or completed by the ticketing date, only the that the ticket needs to be issued by that date. Actually if your voucher/VDBFREE has expired, but less than 30 days after expiration, they will allow you to still travel but the entire trip has to be completed within 60 days from the ticketing expiration date.

The above is for VDBFREE and UA Systemwide Travel Vouchers.

Type A, B, AB maybe the same (I know Systemwide is treated like a Type B voucher)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.