Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by channa
A residual voucher from an unused ticket can be combined with a VDB cert. It's like a form of payment, so it's okay.
To follow up, I confirmed that this was totally doable. ^ Thanks again!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
My usual agent at JFK said I have to wait until the single operating certificate before I can cross between the two with my vouchers.
Update - Booked SFO-IAH-BNA with all legs Continental coded. Called up Reservations, told them to put it on hold after saying I would "pay in cash at the airpot" (Thanks to the FTer for that idea!) Took it to United at JFK, and it was ticketed in a couple seconds after using a $150 customer service Type A voucher to ticket. No questions or qualms about it being Continental flights only!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:29 pm

United four $100 certificate for bump

My first time to volunteer and the United CSR gave me four $100 United vouchers with my name on it.
I see the terms & condition as
1. non-transferable, which is fine.
2. Not combinable - I can't use all the four $100 certificates together?
So how does this work?

3. I can't use this certificate for an online reservation, right? So how do I book a one-way or round-trip tickets? Should I go to the airport?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: United Gold; Marriott Platinum
Call to put a reservation on hold. Inform the phone representative that you have a voucher, so there should be no fee. You can either mail the voucher or go to the airport to turn it in. Be sure to have the reservation number handy from the phone call.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by soap_bubbles
2. Not combinable - I can't use all the four $100 certificates together? ...
You can use all of the coupons from the same book at one time or seperately. You can not combine with other certs.

more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...09-onward.html
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:42 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can use all of the coupons from the same book at one time or seperately. You can not combine with other certs.

more in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...09-onward.html
exactly, and while non-transferable (I hear agents try to sell them as transferable and I cringe..they clearly are officially non=transferable) the named person can ticket in another person's name. (i.e. you can get a ticket for someone else, but you, the named person is required <easy work around this as well-hint:USPS> to do the ticketing.)

In the lower right hand side of each coupon is the ticketing profile for the res agent. Just tell them that profile (it will explain to them in very simple terms what type of voucher you are using) and they can issue a ticket (once u send them in or go in person to an airport) in a matter of seconds.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by fastair
exactly, and while non-transferable (I hear agents try to sell them as transferable and I cringe..they clearly are officially non=transferable) the named person can ticket in another person's name. (i.e. you can get a ticket for someone else, but you, the named person is required <easy work around this as well-hint:USPS> to do the ticketing.)

In the lower right hand side of each coupon is the ticketing profile for the res agent. Just tell them that profile (it will explain to them in very simple terms what type of voucher you are using) and they can issue a ticket (once u send them in or go in person to an airport) in a matter of seconds.
Everything is a matter of seconds, no?

On your first point, I'm thinking this is habit from the old DBCFREE, which I believe were/are transferable.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:51 am

A meta-question

As the happy recipient of 4x$100 type B credits this week (see below), I'm finding it surprising how much work is involved in figuring out thru FT the rules for using them. After reading a few pages at the start & end of this thread, I think I have the basics down (book on phone; redeem in person/by mail; no residual value for using 3x$100 to pay for a $280 ticket; etc.), but this seems to cry out for a FAQ. (Yes, I checked the sticky, which doesn't even link to this most recent of the "type B"-related threads.)

What do folks think? (Hi, mods -- please opine.) Separate thread? Cajoling someone with a post on the first page of this thread to turn it into a well-maintained FAQ? (Maybe not a good idea, given that this is a time-period-defined thread.)

And don't even get me started on the floating hulk that is FlyerGide wiki.

(It was odd how it played out. I arrived at the airport very early for my initial flight to ORD (w/connection to DCA). Tried the easy chicken, which bizarrely instructed me to head over to US, which I knew wasn't right as this involved no codeshares. Turns out the desk agent had already rebooked me on a non-stop to DCA (no problem there, as it saved me 4.5 hours), as they were oversold to ORD. When they told me to walk over to US I protested, and only at that point did the agent start working to crank out travel credits.

The revised ticket receipt I got said INVOL all over it, which seems odd, given that my type B's clearly indicate VDB. I guess I could have held out for full IDB compensation, but a) I had no idea what that amount would be and b) $400 in type B's seemed like a good bird-in-hand haul.)
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
FAQ? if you think it is hard to figure out or how much you have to read for he VDB rules/tricks, wait until you read the airfare "trick it/negotiate it/..." thread. I wish they have a FAQ there!

Originally Posted by beltway
As the happy recipient of 4x$100 type B credits this week (see below), I'm finding it surprising how much work is involved in figuring out thru FT the rules for using them. After reading a few pages at the start & end of this thread, I think I have the basics down (book on phone; redeem in person/by mail; no residual value for using 3x$100 to pay for a $280 ticket; etc.), but this seems to cry out for a FAQ. (Yes, I checked the sticky, which doesn't even link to this most recent of the "type B"-related threads.)

What do folks think? (Hi, mods -- please opine.) Separate thread? Cajoling someone with a post on the first page of this thread to turn it into a well-maintained FAQ? (Maybe not a good idea, given that this is a time-period-defined thread.)

And don't even get me started on the floating hulk that is FlyerGide wiki.

(It was odd how it played out. I arrived at the airport very early for my initial flight to ORD (w/connection to DCA). Tried the easy chicken, which bizarrely instructed me to head over to US, which I knew wasn't right as this involved no codeshares. Turns out the desk agent had already rebooked me on a non-stop to DCA (no problem there, as it saved me 4.5 hours), as they were oversold to ORD. When they told me to walk over to US I protested, and only at that point did the agent start working to crank out travel credits.

The revised ticket receipt I got said INVOL all over it, which seems odd, given that my type B's clearly indicate VDB. I guess I could have held out for full IDB compensation, but a) I had no idea what that amount would be and b) $400 in type B's seemed like a good bird-in-hand haul.)
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by lax2010
FAQ? if you think it is hard to figure out or how much you have to read for he VDB rules/tricks, wait until you read the airfare "trick it/negotiate it/..." thread. I wish they have a FAQ there!
That's not really analogous, since the YQers are all about staying (or trying to stay) under the carriers' radar. I'm talking about use of the type Bs in conformity with UA's rules, so there's no reason to be occult or obscure.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 3:50 pm

I have a Type B Residual Value Voucher ($266) that expires October 30th. I know in the past you could purchase a refundable ticket, and then once that ticket is cancelled, you could get the voucher value back in a new voucher with a new voucher with a new one year expiration date from date of issue. Any recent updates on this?

Or any other tactics to extend the expiration of the voucher?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:31 pm

Thinking about using 2 sets of VDB vouchers for 2 PAX on 1 PNR. Has anyone done it before on 1 PNR?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Thinking about using 2 sets of VDB vouchers for 2 PAX on 1 PNR. Has anyone done it before on 1 PNR?
I haven't done it specifically with VDB vouchers, but I have used multiple Type B vouchers on multi-passenger PNRs before.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I haven't done it specifically with VDB vouchers, but I have used multiple Type B vouchers on multi-passenger PNRs before.
What is the difference between VDB and B vouchers? B voucher is from ticket refund?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
What is the difference between VDB and B vouchers?
VDB vouchers are a type of Type B (though with the added restriction about combining). Mine were from refaring, but as long as you don't hit the combination restriction of the VDB voucher, there should be no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.