Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
First time using vouchers

I've read through most of the thread.

I just want to post what I think I need to do to use VDB travel credit vouchers:

Now for my questions:
            Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:34 am
            FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
            Originally Posted by cheltzel
            I've read through most of the thread.

I just want to post what I think I need to do to use VDB travel credit vouchers:

Now for my questions:
                      You need to go to the airport or postmark the envelope within 24 hours of the reservation when using the vouchers. It's not a timely process, if you are flying very soon, I'd recommend the airport option if accessible. They'll usually ticket within a week (you'd leave an email with the reservation or on your profile which they'd use to send you a ticketing confirmation when it's done)

Not sure if the TA would want to be involved, if they do it's a lot of extra work. More likely, they'd help you set up the reservation so youmcould call it in, but why pay for that service?

Last, if you share the same last name, it won't be any problem. A new one for me, is that They asked for a copy of the voucher holders id the last time I used someone else's voucher.
                      Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
                      The only reason I was looking at using a TA or other option in doing it in advance is my wife wants to fly at rush hour on a Frday at ORD.

She is a GM and with no status, the wait in the check-in line could be as long as an hour (worst case).
                      Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:42 am
                      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheltzel
                      The only reason I was looking at using a TA or other option in doing it in advance is my wife wants to fly at rush hour on a Frday at ORD.

She is a GM and with no status, the wait in the check-in line could be as long as an hour (worst case).
                      No, check in and actually flying is business as usual. The voucher is part of the ticketing process, once ticketed it's no different than any other flight.
                      Old Sep 6, 2011, 5:03 pm

Hello. There was a thread that explained how 2 redeem vouchers over the phone. Can someone pls direct me there!
                      Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:13 am
                      Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
                      Originally Posted by mommafrica
                      Hello. There was a thread that explained how 2 redeem vouchers over the phone. Can someone pls direct me there!
                      You need to call reservations to hold the reservation for paper vouchers and then either ticket by mail or go to an airport or call web-support if using e-certs (and note that if ticketing by phone, there is no fee as that is the only way to use paper vouchers and one should not be "penalized" so 2x check your receipt)
                      Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
                      Hi, I have a quick question. I booked a refundable ticket using a VDB Type B voucher. (Ticket was $410, used 4 x $100 vouchers, then paid $10 with credit card). Now I want to cancel it. The agent offered me two options:

(1) Cancel the ticket and get the entire value of the ticket stored electronically in the same confirmation number as my canceled ticket. Can use the credit towards a new flight if purchased within one year.

(2) Call refunds department. Get a new voucher issued for $400, and receive $10 back to my credit card. Expires in one year.

Putting the $10 aside, is there any benefit to doing Option #1 over Option #2? e.g. are there any restrictions to the new type of voucher/credit that would be issued (not combinable, no residual value, not good on int'l flights, etc.). The agent on the phone didn't seem to know the difference between the restrictions of the two options.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
                      Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:30 pm
                      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
                      Originally Posted by mmjaysee
                      Hi, I have a quick question. I booked a refundable ticket using a VDB Type B voucher. (Ticket was $450, used 4 x $100 vouchers, then paid $10 with credit card). Now I want to cancel it. The agent offered me two options:

(1) Cancel the ticket and get the entire value of the ticket stored electronically in the same confirmation number as my canceled ticket. Can use the credit towards a new flight if purchased within one year.

(2) Call refunds department. Get a new voucher issued for $400, and receive $10 back to my credit card. Expires in one year.

Putting the $10 aside, is there any benefit to doing Option #1 over Option #2? e.g. are there any restrictions to the new type of voucher/credit that would be issued (not combinable, no residual value, not good on int'l flights, etc.). The agent on the phone didn't seem to know the difference between the restrictions of the two options.

Your math isn't adding up. How was the ticket $450 if you paid only $10?

This may be significant in how I answer this question.

Also, what is the value showing on your ticket currently?
                      Old Sep 26, 2011, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by channa
                      Your math isn't adding up. How was the ticket $450 if you paid only $10?

This may be significant in how I answer this question.

Also, what is the value showing on your ticket currently?
                      Oops, sorry. Typo. Fixed it now, but ticket total was $410. The current value of the ticket is $410.

In any case, I'm pretty indifferent about the $10 since the ticket(s) I eventually book will likely be over $410. I'm not familiar with United's rules regarding credits vs. vouchers, so just want to choose the option with most flexibility. Thanks for the correction.
                      Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:07 pm

Hi, I have a quick question. I booked a refundable ticket using a VDB Type B voucher. (Ticket was $410, used 4 x $100 vouchers, then paid $10 with credit card). Now I want to cancel it. The agent offered me two options:

Still wondering if anybody has advice on whether the electronically stored credit or new credit voucher is a better option (especially with regards to things like using on codeshare flights, residual value, etc.). Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
                      Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:28 pm

Still wondering if anybody has advice on whether the electronically stored credit or new credit voucher is a better option (especially with regards to things like using on codeshare flights, residual value, etc.). Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
                      I believe if its in their system, you have a better chance of using it on codeshare rather than UA Metal only. But, if its in their system, it is not transferrable. If you have a paper voucher, the named person needs to sign a letter or go to the ticket counter, but the paper voucher can be used for another person.
                      Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by hellyea
                      I believe if its in their system, you have a better chance of using it on codeshare rather than UA Metal only. But, if its in their system, it is not transferrable. If you have a paper voucher, the named person needs to sign a letter or go to the ticket counter, but the paper voucher can be used for another person.
                      Thanks! Do you know anything about residual values of either of the two options. For example, if they send me a paper voucher and I only want to use $200 of it, do I forfeit the rest?
                      Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: United 1P, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
                      Hi All,

I was wondering has anyone done this before. Used a Type B voucher to purchase a refundable ticket. Then change the ticket to non UA/CO metal flight but codeshared with United? Thanks!
                      Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:11 pm
                      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
                      VDB travel credit redemption question

Called in yesterday to book an itin for me and my SO, and had it put on hold so I could go to the airport and use the voucher booklet toward the ticket.

I know that usually, the person who is named on the voucher needs to authorize its use if its for someone else's ticket, or be there to surrender it themselves. I'm not sure if my SO can actually make it to the airport with me tomorrow when I purchase the tickets. Is that ok, considering that her name is on one of the tickets.

If it makes a difference, each ticket is more than the value of the voucher, so can all be applied to her ticket.
                      Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:33 am
                      FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
                      Called in yesterday to book an itin for me and my SO, and had it put on hold so I could go to the airport and use the voucher booklet toward the ticket.

I know that usually, the person who is named on the voucher needs to authorize its use if its for someone else's ticket, or be there to surrender it themselves. I'm not sure if my SO can actually make it to the airport with me tomorrow when I purchase the tickets. Is that ok, considering that her name is on one of the tickets.

If it makes a difference, each ticket is more than the value of the voucher, so can all be applied to her ticket.
                      Mail it in instead, unless the trip is within the next two weeks or so. Include a picture of both your ids, and the last flight/pnr/last flight date information with your name as ticketed passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.