FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/961600-consolidated-type-b-vdb-vouchers-questions-merged-threads-2009-onward.html)

unavaca Jun 5, 2009 1:19 am

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

I have a book of $75 type B vouchers. I'd like to use just one or two of them and save the rest for a rainy day. Is it possible to do this or will using one (or more) void the rest of the book? There's verbage on the voucher about "No residual balance on partially used coupons," but I'm not sure if that's on a per-voucher basis or for the whole book.

Thanks!

bmvaughn Jun 5, 2009 2:27 am

No issue at all.

cepheid Jun 5, 2009 2:38 am

The VDB vouchers may be used individually or together, as you see fit. The "no residual value" applies to individual vouchers, so if you use a $75 voucher on a $50 ticket (haha!), you won't get the $25 back. Note also that the vouchers are combinable only with others from the same booklet. But, yes, you can use just one or two and save the rest... just remember that they expire!

PHLGovFlyer Jun 5, 2009 3:54 am

I regularly use one, two, or three coupons out of a book of four. Never had an issue with using the remaining coupons at a later date.

As others have mentioned, the "residual balance" clause applies only to each individual coupon, not to the book. So if you have four $75 coupons and a $250 ticket it's best to just use three coupons, pay the remaining $25 in cash, and keep the remaining coupon for your next trip.

unavaca Jun 5, 2009 8:10 am

Thanks!

todorovic Jun 5, 2009 9:42 am

Originally Posted by unavaca (Post 11858999)
I have a book of $75 type B vouchers. I'd like to use just one or two of them and save the rest for a rainy day.

Make sure your rainy day happens within a year of coupon issue date - it will expire if you wait longer.

blueone Jun 8, 2009 3:44 am

Using Travel Credits

I got some Travel Credits from a VDB a few months ago. Now, if I were to book a multi-passenger itinerary, and the ticket price per passenger was about the same value of each travel credit coupon, will the reservation have to be split up?

LIH Prem Jun 8, 2009 3:46 am

I don't think so. You want to use 2 of your 4 coupons from the same booklet for two tickets on the same record, right?

If you want to use 2 different booklets, then, you are correct, you probably have to break them up into separate records.

-David

blueone Jun 8, 2009 3:47 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 11871855)
I don't think so. You want to use 2 of your 4 coupons for this ticket, right?

-David

Well actually all four. There's four passengers and the ticket price is $159, with each voucher at $150. Could all four be applied to the same reservation/record, so I don't need to go through the hassle to get everyone in E+?

LIH Prem Jun 8, 2009 3:50 am

Originally Posted by blueone (Post 11871859)
Well actually all four. There's four passengers and the ticket price is $159, with each voucher at $150. Could all four be applied to the same reservation/record, so I don't need to go through the hassle to get everyone in E+?

I think that's fine. As long as it's the same booklet.

I don't know how you are planning to pull more than one person into E+, but maybe there are 2 travelers that can each pull one person? If you want to pull somebody, it's best for the person pulling the other person to be on the same record. In fact, it's imperative, I think, for people that purchased E+ access as far as I know.

-David

blueone Jun 8, 2009 3:54 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 11871863)
I think that's fine. As long as it's the same booklet.

I don't know how you are planning to pull more than one person into E+, but maybe there are 2 travelers that can each pull one person? If you want to pull somebody, it's best for the person pulling the other person to be on the same record. In fact, it's imperative, I think, for people that purchased E+ access as far as I know.

-David

GS can have up to 8 passengers accompanying in E+.

LIH Prem Jun 8, 2009 3:56 am

Originally Posted by blueone (Post 11871869)
GS can have up to 8 passengers accompanying in E+.

doh!

:D

I guess with 8 pax, they are prepared for them to be on separate records.

-David

100% Green Jun 8, 2009 6:23 am

I have never been able to use a travel credit on a multi-passenger itinerary. If you figure out how please post it here. I've tried multiple ways and have never had luck.

channa Jun 8, 2009 7:39 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 11871855)
If you want to use 2 different booklets, then, you are correct, you probably have to break them up into separate records.

That is not correct. You can definitely use a different booklet per passenger. I've done this a number of times. The airport agent will just queue up all tickets (and add collects), and when it's all entered, issue them all at once.

Originally Posted by 100% Green (Post 11872178)
I have never been able to use a travel credit on a multi-passenger itinerary. If you figure out how please post it here. I've tried multiple ways and have never had luck.

There are two types of Travel Credits -- the VDB ones, and the residual value ones.

If it's a VDB one, you're fine. Say in this case he has a $600 TC (4 x $150 coupons) and wants to buy 4 x $159 tickets, this is no problem on the same record.

What would be a problem would be a residual value voucher. Say he has a $600 residual value voucher and wants to buy 4 x $159 tickets, that's going to pose a problem, because he doesn't have four (4) coupons. He has 1 x $600 coupon, and a new residual value voucher will spit out the minute he issues the first one. In that case, he'd have to do 4 separate records, and issue one ticket at a time at the airport, basically taking the new residual that prints and applying it towards the next ticket, and so on.

But with VDB TCs, where there's already a predefined split, he's ok.

100% Green Jun 8, 2009 8:54 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 11872548)
That is not correct. You can definitely use a different booklet per passenger. I've done this a number of times. The airport agent will just queue up all tickets (and add collects), and when it's all entered, issue them all at once.

There are two types of Travel Credits -- the VDB ones, and the residual value ones.

If it's a VDB one, you're fine. Say in this case he has a $600 TC (4 x $150 coupons) and wants to buy 4 x $159 tickets, this is no problem on the same record.

What would be a problem would be a residual value voucher. Say he has a $600 residual value voucher and wants to buy 4 x $159 tickets, that's going to pose a problem, because he doesn't have four (4) coupons. He has 1 x $600 coupon, and a new residual value voucher will spit out the minute he issues the first one. In that case, he'd have to do 4 separate records, and issue one ticket at a time at the airport, basically taking the new residual that prints and applying it towards the next ticket, and so on.

But with VDB TCs, where there's already a predefined split, he's ok.

So it has to be done in person (is that the case for all vdb tc's?) I've only tried using the appreciation TC's, not the VDB TC's - which if used online can only be used on a single person itinerary from my experiences.