Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated: Type B (VDB) Vouchers Questions [Merged Threads - 2009 and Onward]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by channa
Remember that cash only comes into play if the net arrival delay is > 1 hour.
I didn't realize that. I thought all IDBs got cash. I wonder if this changes with the recent rule change.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I didn't realize that. I thought all IDBs got cash. I wonder if this changes with the recent rule change.
Then on top of it, it's a function of the base fare for that segment or direction. So WAS-MCO could have been as low as say $59 one way if they had a good fare. So 1x would have been $59 (1 to 2 hour delay), and 2x would have been $118 (2+ hour delay).

Many would likely prefer the UA $400 voucher over smaller cash amounts like that.

The new rules will double the amounts to 2x/4x depending on length of delay, with caps of $650 and $1,300 vs. $400 and $800. So there would be more cash at stake, though in cheap fare situations, it may still not be much.

These are the current rules: http://airconsumer.dot.gov/publications/flyrights.htm

* If you are bumped involuntarily and the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to get you to your final destination (including later connections) within one hour of your original scheduled arrival time, there is no compensation.

* If the airline arranges substitute transportation that is scheduled to arrive at your destination between one and two hours after your original arrival time (between one and four hours on international flights), the airline must pay you an amount equal to your one-way fare to your final destination that day, with a $400 maximum.

* If the substitute transportation is scheduled to get you to your destination more than two hours later (four hours internationally), or if the airline does not make any substitute travel arrangements for you, the compensation doubles (200% of your one-way fare, $800 maximum).
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:29 am

Some great information in this thread, thanks again.

Based on what I've read here, I'll attempt to re-summarize:

* United was probably under zero obligation to try to compensate us financially, because at the end of the day, we actually arrived earlier than initially scheduled (the flight that we got moved to was direct, whereas the initial route was connecting, through ORD).
* Nevertheless, the whole affair caused significant inconvenience and stress for all of us, so United offered VDB vouchers "as a courtesy"
* While we never signed any agreements upon receiving the vouchers, which may have represented a protocol lapse on their end... it was probably a moot point in the end, given the ultimate delay of <1 hour

If that's a fairly accurate state of affairs, then it sounds like they didn't do anything wildly inappropriate. Still, I wish I had known about all the hoops that need be jumped through to use these vouchers, or I would have asked them to try to put them all in my name at higher denominations.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

As for the trip to Vancouver, I will try to persuade some kind United agent to bend the rules and let me combine vouchers from more than one booklet. If if that fails, I will try (as suggested earlier in this thread) to split the trip up into two one-way segments to at least cover a bigger piece of the total cost.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Not true. Unless you know what your options are, United will first try and get an IDB to accept a flat $400 voucher (versus the 4x$100 I received for VDBing) and sign the release. I know this because I was there first hand last weekend when I took three bumps on LGA-ORD. I was the lone volunteer on three flights and a minimum of 5 people were IDB'd for each flight. The agent quickly printed out one single $400 voucher per each IDB, had them sign the release, and then rebooked them on the next available flight. She even put people into C and F on p.s. flights for those heading to the west coast, which actually turned a sour situation into a semi-manageable situation for the affected.
You obviously don't know what IDB is.

IDB is 'involuntary'. As soon as you sign the voucher, you are agreeing to volunteer your seat, in exchange for the voucher. At that point, you are a VDB, not IDB.

What you saw is agents converting IDBs into VDBs. This is something that seems unethical to me, but if the agents tell them to sign and they agree, they become volunteers (and they usually do, because they do not know their rights).

Now, if an agent says, 'we can offer you this in exchange for your seat' and they accept, it's fine. But I have seen them just thrust the VDB voucher in front of people and tell them they have to sign it. Not acceptable and honestly, I consider it illegal.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPMaverick

IDB is 'involuntary'. As soon as you sign the voucher, you are agreeing to volunteer your seat, in exchange for the voucher. At that point, you are a VDB, not IDB.

What you saw is agents converting IDBs into VDBs. This is something that seems unethical to me, but if the agents tell them to sign and they agree, they become volunteers (and they usually do, because they do not know their rights).

Now, if an agent says, 'we can offer you this in exchange for your seat' and they accept, it's fine. But I have seen them just thrust the VDB voucher in front of people and tell them they have to sign it. Not acceptable and honestly, I consider it illegal.
I'm quite aware of the difference between IDB and VDB. After speaking with the agent at LGA, any voucher issued through Apollo requires the customers signature (IDB voucher and VDB vouchers). Whether that in fact is true or not, I don't know, but I ended up sitting next to a lady on a later flight who was one of the few who were IDB and she had a lone voucher for $400 for the inconvenience.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If they are signing something, it is not a 'release' as you stated in your first post.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Regardless the argument of IDB v. VDB, the limit of using the voucher applies per ticket only.

In other word, you can using $800 for 2 people (but not combined).
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick

This is not entirely accurate. Compensation and whether they are IDB or VDB do not need to align.

Many IDBs select the voucher compensation since it can be more generous. That doesn't change the fact that they are IDBs and they are still supposed to be marked as IDB since they did not request to volunteer or respond to a solicitation for volunteers.

This reference may be a bit dated, but you'll notice that even if VDB comp is issued, it is to be reported as IDB:

Code:
---- OVERSALES ---- 
IDB UP TO 1 HOUR $100 TRAVEL CREDIT REPORT AS IDB 
IDB MORE THAN 1 HOUR CASH OR VDB COMP REPORT AS IDB 

CASH COMPENSATION: 
BETWEEN 1 AND 2 HOUR OW FARE ON IDB SEGMENT...MAX $400 
MORE THAN 2 HOURS 2X OW FARE ON IDB SEGMENT..MAX $800
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by channa
Remember that cash only comes into play if the net arrival delay is > 1 hour.

What was the damage to arrival time? If it was < 1 hour, then no cash (and not even vouchers) were due. It's possible that UA gave them the standard VDB compensation as a courtesy.

As for the OP's question, you're allowed to use a booklet of four coupons per ticket. So if the YVR tickets can be split into one-ways without fare impact, it's possible to use $400 each way.
Does the airport transfer come into this?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
Does the airport transfer come into this?

I don't think that's mentioned. But since UA paid for it, it should be a non-issue. The issue is arrival time, and cab + IAD-MCO got them in earlier than DCA-ORD-MCO.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, IHG Platinum
Question re UA Travel Type B Vouchers (residual balance, transfer)

Greetings to all!

My apologies if this has already been answered in a previous thread.

I am the owner of 4x$100 United Travel Credit Exchange Coupons (Type B Voucher), and attempting to use them for an upcoming flight pair. That airfare only comes out to be $260, leaving me with a residual $140. My questions:

a) Can the $140 remaining voucher amount be used to purchase flight options (Economy Plus upgrade, Traveller Plus, etc)? (I was told "no" by UA Reservations last night).

I'd prefer to use up this small amount, vs. trying to book another flight somewhere else.

b) If I cannot apply the $140 towards this flight, am I able to sell or transfer this residual to someone else (e.g. a family member). What is the procedure for doing so (perhaps we all have to come to the airport together in person?)

Here is the fine print from the front of the certificates:

* Not Redeemable until 72 Hours After Issuance
* Valid for Travel Only on United Airlines/United Express Only
* Non Combinable/Non Refundable/Non Extendible/Void if Mutilated
* No Cash Value/No Residual Balance on Partially Used Coupons

Thank you Fellow FTs!

DFW-Explat
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I was under the impression that you had to use vouchers whole, so your $260 airfare would cost you $300 in vouchers (unless you decided to pay $200 in vouchers and $60 in cash). Even if you did find "small" items to purchase, do you really want to spend a $100 voucher for a $5 buy-on-board snack?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason they're in 4 x $100 increments is because that's an old-school way of creating residual.

For a $260 ticket, you may wish too use 2 x $100, paying $60 in cash, and saving $200 for your next ticket. Alternatively, you could use 3 x $100, paying nothing out of pocket, and keeping $100 for later use.

The agent was correct that this is only for air travel, not for Travel Options.

As for selling them, that's against the rules. But you can gift them to someone. Best, IMO, is to ticket the other person's itin in person at an airport. They will ask for your ID since you're the voucher holder and ticketing for someone else. The other person need not be there.
Old May 14, 2011, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
A success story in using Type B vouchers on an itinerary featuring segments which were operated by CO, but carried UA codes.
Old May 20, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
A success story in using Type B vouchers on an itinerary featuring segments which were operated by CO, but carried UA codes.
On agent 3 right now who won't even proceed with putting a reservation on hold since I'm using VDB travel credits and my itinerary contains ONE Continental leg. Premier desk wouldn't do it either - something about a memo they got about how these are still restricted to UA/UAX. Any one have any recent success stories?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.