Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question about United vouchers on Continental

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, IHG Plt, SPG Gld

I did some searches on the forum and wiki and couldn't find this answer, so hopefully this is the right spot and hasn't been asked a million times...

I have a United voucher from voluntary bump on an overbooked flight during summer. The terms state that it's for United metal only, but the flight I'm looking at is a United codeshare on Continental metal. Does anyone know if they'll accept the voucher for this flight since the 2 airlines have been married, or is it still considered Continental metal and no dice?

Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Has to be used on UA metal.

T&Cs in the back of the certs say "VALID FOR AIR TRANSPORTATION CHARGES ONLY ON UA/UAX OPERATED FLIGHTS ONLY AND FOR ANY UA/UAX PUBLISHED FARE ONLY"
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:06 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this post shows from another thread, as of a few months ago, UA overbooking vouchers cannot be used on CO-metal and I believe that that issue has not been yet merged between the airlines.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15049192-post178.html
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
As I've posted in another thread, there is a loophole that allows the value of the voucher to be used.

1) purchase a refundable ua flight using the voucher
2) call united and use the value of the new ticket toward the itinerary you really want (so long as there is at least one ua coded flight in the new itinerary).
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Any updates on this? When will the "operated by Continental" distinction go away? I just picked up a $400 voucher in Denver and would like to use it to go to Panama. I guess the previous poster's method should work, right?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:16 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kahuna613
Any updates on this? When will the "operated by Continental" distinction go away? I just picked up a $400 voucher in Denver and would like to use it to go to Panama. I guess the previous poster's method should work, right?
Keep in mind that your bump vouchers are valid for one year from date of issue and that UA & CO should become "one airline" sometime later this year so if you travel plans are flexible, that may work as well (assuming the "new airline" will allow it of course)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:20 am

That's what I'm figuring....
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
problem is
weve been saying that they will merge the programmes soon for so long now and it still hasnt happened

are you sure you can use the voucher for international flights
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
problem is
weve been saying that they will merge the programmes soon for so long now and it still hasnt happened

are you sure you can use the voucher for international flights

It's long been known that MP & OP would not be merged until 2012.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:23 pm

Well the vouchers aren't really connected to the frequent flyer programs...it's more an operations thing, no?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Well the vouchers aren't really connected to the frequent flyer programs...it's more an operations thing, no?
More like a revenue/inventory management thing, and both airlines still have separate revenue/inventory management operations.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by zrs70
As I've posted in another thread, there is a loophole that allows the value of the voucher to be used.

1) purchase a refundable ua flight using the voucher
2) call united and use the value of the new ticket toward the itinerary you really want (so long as there is at least one ua coded flight in the new itinerary).
does this method work for combining 2 vouchers? i.e. cancel twice... and apply the credits from the 2 cancellations onto one single future itinerary??
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
When will the "operated by Continental" distinction go away?
When they have a common operating certificate. You can't rush the FAA.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by epiding
does this method work for combining 2 vouchers? i.e. cancel twice... and apply the credits from the 2 cancellations onto one single future itinerary??
You can combine up to (I think) 3 vouchers towards one itinerary. So your suggestion is not necessary.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:05 am

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by hellyea
You can combine up to (I think) 3 vouchers towards one itinerary. So your suggestion is not necessary.
not all vouchers. there are certain rules for different vouchers (there is a whole long thread on this topic). type B's are combinable (i think).

but just wondering about the principle of combining two separate voucher-booked-cancelled stored e-credits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.