Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2008 Catering Changes at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Unhappy

Well this smacks of saving a few pennies along the lines doesn't it?

I'm with ajamieson. Cheap. Pure and simple. And if any other carrier tried this they'd be laughed out of the park (I can't imagine LH, BD, BA, would try this little game ... US maybe but it depends what Doggie wants to do) .

Shifting to a BOB product may make simple economics for UA, but what is that price in reputation? A lot more than a few pennies I would wager!

Yes - there is an argument of "if they're 40000 feet in the air, we'll sell it to them and they'll buy it. And you're free not too". It's argument, I'll give you that. But it does nothing to 1) show that United is a company that cares about its pax, 2) show United understands how things are in this downturn and 3) to show United as a positive differential during this time.

Yes - there is a 100% mileage on flights. But I'm sorry to say that miles alone do not make a total product - rather the pre flight, ground, in-air, and arrival experience make a flight.

I know UA is looking a brand new business paradigms, but annoying Y class customers isn't a good way to about it.

Annoying your domestic C class pax isn't that intelligent too.

Personally, I'd just shift all flights to ORD and take the extra cost on the chin. But make sure UA works for every penny....
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
It's not a joke, it is posted in the "onboard updates" section of the UAL employee website..

The BOB transatlantic is going to get interesting because like most BOB flights they won't fully cater the plane (at least one BOB for each passenger). So what happens when people realize they won't be getting a second meal and start buying 2 or 3 of each and they run out??
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
This news comes as oil prices fall to ~$110/bbl and the dollar strengthens. But, United always had brilliant timing anyway.

My goodness, but this company SO deserves Chapter 7. Just blow it up, already. I have about 250,000 banked miles, and I don't even want them anymore.

The executive management team is a joke.
The employees are sick of it, and increasingly, are taking it out on the paying customers.
United has about the longest, slowest product rollout in airline history with the new int'l C/F product. Then, they spent a zillion $$ on a slate of TV commercials that don't even show the product!
The cutbacks (errr, enhancements,) seem to be coming, more and more, every week.

Sad. But blow it up anyway. I just don't think it's worth saving anymore.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 19, 2008 at 10:07 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by blort
It's not a hoax. My p.s. breakfast flights went from "Breakfast, Snack" to "Breakfast" in My Itineraries.

The e-mail confirmations from just last week say "Breakfast, Snack."
Well, by that token looking at IAD-LHR on .bomb they're still showing Lunch & Breakfast in Y in mid -October.

In addition, just checked my p.s. flight booked for October 12th and it's still showing Breakfast and Snack

Last edited by JohnnyJet; Aug 19, 2008 at 10:07 am
Old Aug 19, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Premier, NW Silver, Official Gopher Hater
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Are you sure that other US based airlines are not salivating at the potential cost savings and revenue stream if they match?
Aside from US and maybe AA, no. I brought up Continental because they will most likely be the beneficiaries of a UAL liquidation.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
In reading all of this long thread, and soon to become even longer...LOL; I am simply nonplussing at the HORROR of UA's strategies!

It is always something bad on an ongoing basis, if not daily.

I too have received a Gold status match on CO., however it's difficult for me as they no longer provide the once beloved SFO-HNL route that I frequently booked.

And as far as the PS flts; well, that's a whole lot of BS. It saddens me deeply to see them advertise a "premium service" that really is not premium at all, save for the seat.

Ok, I am sure to vent more later, but need to get ready to do errands...

Aloha,

Patrick
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:06 am

In september ORD-EWR flights show a snack but in december EWR-ORD flights show lunch or dinner in first class. Weird. And from ORD-SFO in Business Class (C) it shows dinner listed for the meal still and breakfast. This is all the way into January.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:06 am

Programs: Free Agent
Wow, I've never questioned my loyalty to UA until I saw this new "enhancement". Time to start looking at CO.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, UA (no status, but lots of miles!)
Originally Posted by Kevincm
Well this smacks of saving a few pennies along the lines doesn't it?

I'm with ajamieson. Cheap. Pure and simple. And if any other carrier tried this they'd be laughed out of the park (I can't imagine LH, BD, BA, would try this little game ... US maybe but it depends what Doggie wants to do) .
Actually, BD already sell snacks and drinks onboard their transatlantic in Y. Yes, they still give meals, but they def try and pitch those pringles.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Is there any chance that a severe enough backlash will get UA to reverse this?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
... could you imagine paying 20K+ for say SYD-LAX-IAD only to find out that from LAX-IAD you have to pay for a meal ...
Yes I could. As much as I could about pax who'd end up in Ted's E- on paid intl F or C ticket.

Originally Posted by Axey
Another great example of UA's continuing war on its customers and revenue base. Those that still haven't jumped ship should hopefully see the light now.
What ship? I paid $400 more to fly Asiana over United a couple months ago.

While United continues to bleed red ink, this 19 year old who has A LOT of flying ahead of him will continue giving his money to foreign carriers and jetBlue and Continental*.

*Once they're officially in the Star Alliance

Programs: UA 1P, AA, LH Cattle Class, SPG
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner

UA is reducing capacity. However, UA is not the only player in the industry and overall, domestic air capacity seems to increase on a year over year basis.
I agree, but if United reduces its own capacity could they not justify raising their fares? If the service were to remain the same, I would purchase the ORD - SFO Y roundtrip on United for a good deal more than I would spend for a LCC.

So why try to compete with the LCCs by having a high number of available seats for a low cost?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
So is this just airline speak that I don't understand, or are they really only doing this (for now) for aircraft departing IAD to Europe, but not the reverse? Seems strange to me, and most passengers who experienced the outbound, say, IAD-FRA flight would likely expect the same for the return flight and thus self-cater/eat prior to departure, only to then be served a free meal on the return.
Good point! Caught my attention as well, but fearing it will be both ways.

European pax, such as those generally flying LH and LX out of Germany and Switzerland will be steaming. ZRH-IAD for example easily turns into a 10 hrs flight gate-to-gate, which would have nor complementary food service.
Not gonna fly with those customers!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by AEpilot76
The BOB transatlantic is going to get interesting because like most BOB flights they won't fully cater the plane (at least one BOB for each passenger). So what happens when people realize they won't be getting a second meal and start buying 2 or 3 of each and they run out??
Running out of food - one of the big irritations of flying in coach. I was with my daughter not long ago; we had booked an aisle and a middle. Flight was packed, and the guy in the middle seat gratefully took the aisle. He also took the VERY LAST fresh food BOB .

Do you think they will increase the number of meals per flight since they are also almost doubling the price? Somehow I don't think so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.