Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2008 Catering Changes at UA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 6:35 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by TA
I think the issue can look completely sensible if you take it from another perspective. Think of it this way (admittedly very UA-corporatespeak view here):
"So be grateful that you got a much better seat than would otherwise have been possible, and the coach class meal for free. "
This argument would hold if UA gave away the C seats to otherwise-coach passengers, and let paid domestic F (and upgraded domestic F) sit in the 3-class F seats.

The reality is that pax are paying for a domestic first class seat, or paying with an upgrade to a first class seat, and because of the "bad luck" of ending up on a 3-class widebody flight, they get substandard service compared to domestic F on narrowbody.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Superguy
DEN-ORD should be long enough for real service.
No, non-p.s. 3-cabin aircraft no longer have real meals. Plus, the flight departs before 4 PM, so it would only have served a snack prior to the recent cutbacks.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Only 16 flights out of the entire domestic network but 100% of my remaining travel for 2008.
Also 100% of the (non-p.s.) transcons on which you are guaranteed working emPower. So now you can choose whether to spend an upgrade on being able to eat, or being able to work. (Or, I guess, one could move to Queens.)
Old Oct 12, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Ari
For drinks, did they use glass or plastic?
The pre-departure water or OJ was in plastic, but during the normal service it was still glass.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
The breakfast offering for domestic C class:

No linen service but coffee cups and saucers are still used.

Plastic tray with plastic utensils. Three different wedges of cheese, two packets of Pepperidge Farm crackers (4 crackers total), about 20 grapes and three wedges of melon, a prepackaged apple danish, strawberry yogurt cup.

That's not going to make much impact on the 08:00 LAX-IAD appetite. How times have changed...

Last edited by Dambus; Oct 12, 2008 at 5:35 pm
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:33 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by TA
I think the issue can look completely sensible if you take it from another perspective. Think of it this way (admittedly very UA-corporatespeak view here):

"3 class widebody aircraft are not really supposed to be serving the domestic market. You lucked out by getting one on your flight today, and being able to upgrade no less, from regular old economy to an international business class seat. If we had operated the route as we otherwise would have, you would probably be stuck on a 757 or 737, back in E+ not having been upgraded at all because there are fewer F/C seats in those aircraft. So be grateful that you got a much better seat than would otherwise have been possible, and the coach class meal for free. "

But then, the problem is that people don't view this as an improvement from domestic economy, but as a downsizing/degradation of true 3 class service.
If this is true then UA should just forget about trying to carry west coasters to europe and back. The only thing that made flying UA even near palatable from LAX to europe was the fact that you could fly to the connection point in the same class of service you expected on your trans-oceanic flight. They should specifically exclude 946/947 from this nonsense.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
AA flies 3-cabin aircraft domestically (I like taking the afternoon ORD-DFW flight).

What AA does is let elites reserve Business class seats and then allows them to upgrade to F. Service is Y, but no upgrades are taken.
I see. So basically UA charges the instrument for C but then provides a no better C service. A real differentiation opportunity for UA wasted yet again.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:28 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by SQPPS
If this is true then UA should just forget about trying to carry west coasters to europe and back. The only thing that made flying UA even near palatable from LAX to europe was the fact that you could fly to the connection point in the same class of service you expected on your trans-oceanic flight. They should specifically exclude 946/947 from this nonsense.
-------------
Uhhhhh, how about flying NS? @:-) Maybe LAX isn't cool enough, but from SFO, you can fly to FRA & LHR. I wish they'd add MUC, but that's covered by LH (at 9:50pm, which I gotta try one day). I must admit, it *is* really cool departing home station in int'l F, but you know what, if they don't just hand it to you on a silver platter, then pay for it. If you can't survive any transcon in 2 class F, you're just a wuss.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:42 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I see. So basically UA charges the instrument for C but then provides a no better C service. A real differentiation opportunity for UA wasted yet again.
You pay for the upgrade and get a BOB and booze v. no BOB (or meal) and no free booze for a free C seat and the opportunity to upgrade to F.

Guess which one I would choose...

But where would the non-revs sit if UA did this...
Old Oct 14, 2008, 2:10 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by dreamfool
I'm doing a mileage run and will be doing plane hopping pretty much all day long, and since I have a few e500s on hand to upgrade to C, picking planes with *HOT* meals to upgrade will be important to me. How can I tell which of my flights is a 2 cabin aircraft?

6105 LAX - SEA Depart: 7:45am
0876 SEA - DEN Depart: 11:27pm
0938 DEN - ORD Depart: 3:48pm

Thanks!
6105 is UA Express, so I am not sure what they provide on this route, so it would likely be some sort of a box. 876 should be lunch, but 938 would appear to be snack time, so you would get the dreaded fruit and cheese plate: it is disgusting. Read the thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...445&highlight=
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:55 pm

Given that someone else posted this *only* affects 16 flights daily, I have come to the conclusion that this is UA's way to test out a new concept. If there's not a huge uproar, then they will roll this change out for all domestic two-class F service as well.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Given that someone else posted this *only* affects 16 flights daily, I have come to the conclusion that this is UA's way to test out a new concept. If there's not a huge uproar, then they will roll this change out for all domestic two-class F service as well.
The language about this domestic C BOB being a trial during Q4 2008 has been removed from united.com. Looks like this "enhancement" is here to stay for C. I hope it does not spread to F too.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51501,00.html
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Yeah, I'm not sure UA has the balls to try and remove all domestic F food service and replace it with BOB.

Even if they did, I don't think it would stick. Plenty of people still pay F or discount F fares across the domestic system and those folks might have something to say about that.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Yeah, I'm not sure UA has the balls to try and remove all domestic F food service and replace it with BOB.

Even if they did, I don't think it would stick. Plenty of people still pay F or discount F fares across the domestic system and those folks might have something to say about that.
I agree.

I don't think there's much of an uproar as those 16 flights seem to be hub-to-hub flights and there aren't that many of them and many people would never get hit by it. I think these are typically relatively short flights that a lot of people wouldn't make a big deal out if even if they do think it sucks. Deploy free BOB in F and then everyone gets hit ... I think there'd be big problems.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:23 am

I'm just saying that, if they get away with it on domestic C (and it hit me on transcons between LAX and IAD, so it's not like a little hop to DEN) then I wouldn't put it past them to roll it out in domestic F as well. There might be an outcry, but then again we passengers have shown a remarkable resilience to continually degraded service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.