Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2008 Catering Changes at UA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I can't believe I haven't come across a hot thread on this topic (or maybe I just missed it). On my transcon flights this week the meal in C was a snack box or "fresh choice"--the exact same items offered in coach--only they were free. Even the flight attendants were embarassed and encouraged every passenger to write to UA about it.

Has been a hot topic, 1,100 postings
Fall 2008 Catering Changes at UA
The TransAtl changes have been rescinded

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2008 at 9:10 pm Reason: corrected link
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I flew C class p.s SFO-JFK on 6th Oct and there was still a hot meal offered ^. (Got a new version of skykit b/c my 1st choice meal was not avail - with no prompting- FA just provided it when delivered my 2nd choice ^)!

I am hoping (and guessing) that this means the p.s service was spared this new enhancement to C class service!

If this is incorrect, please advise.

Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:08 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't believe I haven't come across a hot thread on this topic (or maybe I just missed it). On my transcon flights this week the meal in C was a snack box or "fresh choice"--the exact same items offered in coach--only they were free. Even the flight attendants were embarassed and encouraged every passenger to write to UA about it.

This is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for UA. They did still serve a meal in F, but if all C means now is a bigger seat then they have seriously devalued the product. Given that a lot of C passengers are upgraded 1Ks and 1Ps, I see this change as a direct slap in the face regarding their loyalty.

Virgin America is looking better all the time...
For drinks, did they use glass or plastic?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:21 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
This is only on flights with three classes of service domestically. This is 16 flights daily in United's entire network, no more. The rest are two-class cabins where, if you're upgraded, you get a standard hot meal, as usual.

I realize that the F seats on those planes aren't as nice, so you essentially have a choice if you're able to fly on either a two- or three-class cabin aircraft: international comfy seat, or domestic F seat with a hot meal.

I think a lot of people believe it's wayyy more than 16 flights a day.
Only 16 flights out of the entire domestic network but 100% of my remaining travel for 2008. I understand the weird illogical foodie comments. It's so true...the food really is average in every sense of the word but I think it's the enjoyment of being served a meal in flight that thrills some of us.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:27 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Are all 3 mealtime services standardized?

The breakfast offering for domestic C class:

No linen service but coffee cups and saucers are still used.

Plastic tray with plastic utensils. Three different wedges of cheese, two packets of Pepperidge Farm crackers (4 crackers total), about 20 grapes and three wedges of melon, a prepackaged apple danish, strawberry yogurt cup.

What has been the lunch and dinner offerings?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I am hoping (and guessing) that this means the p.s service was spared this new enhancement to C class service!
Correct. Only widebodies were affected.

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Only 16 flights out of the entire domestic network but 100% of my remaining travel for 2008.
I wish. All (4) widebody C flights we had booked have been downgraded to 2-class (either 777 or 757).
Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:57 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I think the issue can look completely sensible if you take it from another perspective. Think of it this way (admittedly very UA-corporatespeak view here):

"3 class widebody aircraft are not really supposed to be serving the domestic market. You lucked out by getting one on your flight today, and being able to upgrade no less, from regular old economy to an international business class seat. If we had operated the route as we otherwise would have, you would probably be stuck on a 757 or 737, back in E+ not having been upgraded at all because there are fewer F/C seats in those aircraft. So be grateful that you got a much better seat than would otherwise have been possible, and the coach class meal for free. "

But then, the problem is that people don't view this as an improvement from domestic economy, but as a downsizing/degradation of true 3 class service.

Last edited by TA; Oct 11, 2008 at 10:08 pm
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: UAL LT Gold (used to be a 1K) 1.7MM, Marriott LT Titanium
And yet when I do a C dummy booking for next May on 902/903 (DEN-IAD-DEN) .bomb still says Lunch/Dinner (respectively). Shouldn't it say "Lunch box" or "Dinner box"?

JJ
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Th... but if all C means now is a bigger seat then they have seriously devalued the product.
Precisely. Business class without a real meal service? Come on! Seems like the only thing falling faster than United's service and product is the price of oil. Management needs to start rethinking these bad, knee-jerk decisions quickly before those of us who spend 10's of thousands a year on them for business travel look elsewhere.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAfan
Precisely. Business class without a real meal service? Come on! Seems like the only thing falling faster than United's service and product is the price of oil. Management needs to start rethinking these bad, knee-jerk decisions quickly before those of us who spend 10's of thousands a year on them for business travel look elsewhere.
Who else flies 3-class service domestically?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:31 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Who else flies 3-class service domestically?
AA flies 3-cabin aircraft domestically (I like taking the afternoon ORD-DFW flight).

What AA does is let elites reserve Business class seats and then allows them to upgrade to F. Service is Y, but no upgrades are taken.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:51 am

Programs: UA General
Help...

I'm doing a mileage run and will be doing plane hopping pretty much all day long, and since I have a few e500s on hand to upgrade to C, picking planes with *HOT* meals to upgrade will be important to me. How can I tell which of my flights is a 2 cabin aircraft?

6105 LAX - SEA Depart: 7:45am
0876 SEA - DEN Depart: 11:27pm
0938 DEN - ORD Depart: 3:48pm

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2008, 2:08 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by dreamfool
6105 LAX - SEA Depart: 7:45am 2 cabin CR7, no hot anything offered on regional jets
0876 SEA - DEN Depart: 11:27pm 2 cabin 733, F lunch should be hot
0938 DEN - ORD Depart: 3:48pm 3 cabin 763, no hot meal if in C, BOB offering for free
Old Oct 12, 2008, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by dreamfool
I'm doing a mileage run and will be doing plane hopping pretty much all day long, and since I have a few e500s on hand to upgrade to C, picking planes with *HOT* meals to upgrade will be important to me. How can I tell which of my flights is a 2 cabin aircraft?

6105 LAX - SEA Depart: 7:45am
0876 SEA - DEN Depart: 11:27pm
0938 DEN - ORD Depart: 3:48pm

Thanks!
The only flight with real food served on china would be SEA-DEN, but it's probably not going to be hot - a choice of a salad or a sandwich.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
The only flight with real food served on china would be SEA-DEN, but it's probably not going to be hot - a choice of a salad or a sandwich.
DEN-ORD should be long enough for real service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.