Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2008 Catering Changes at UA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2008, 1:47 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by thezipper
Too bad I can't attach files to posts or I'd publish the survey I got that started this whole thing (I made a pdf of the entire survey )... you should see some of the prices they were thinking about charging for a coach meal!!!!
Pictures and prices from the survey were posted a few weeks back on Jaunted. I remember seeing an entree option that looked perhaps like what would be served in C... for the price of $39!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Didn't see this NYT item linked above (in an admittedly quick scan):
United Finds Tickets and Meals Inseparable
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
It's just a mass email folks. To elites for sure, but probably others as well.
I got that email too. While I did not complain, I did fill out the survey UA sent me earlier on.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
The only reason United cancelled this trial, is because no other airlines matched
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
The only reason United cancelled this trial, is because no other airlines matched
BINGO!!!!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Well take that US, I guess the good news (?) is UA remains the second in the lame fees/costs/nickel&dime contest
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1P-MM
Originally Posted by dw
Pictures and prices from the survey were posted a few weeks back on Jaunted. I remember seeing an entree option that looked perhaps like what would be served in C... for the price of $39!
The survey used different price points and offerings for different recipients. My top end meal price was $32. Others' were even lower.

What I did NOT like about the survey was that one obvious choice was left out - which was "leave things the way they are". It smacked of a survey that was geared so that UA got the "results" it wanted. We were offered a chance to comment at the end of the survey and I emphatically stated that a meal was a requirement on cross-ocean voyages, not an option. I'm sure others responded similarly. Unfortunately, UA chose to ignore those comments until FF's started voting with their wallets and feet!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KiwiPanda
I just received the e.mail as well. Good news although their little experiment cost them $3000 from me and Mrs KP who are booked to fly SQ (Y) TATL instead.

KiwiPanda
Which costs you (based on your profile) a 100% mileage bonus as a 1P, accrual towards 500-milers, and more legroom in E+. In addition to a higher fare paid. You sure punished them!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I agree - this was more than a little spooky given that I didn't send an email or write a letter to UA. Anybody have a clue about this? Seriously.
I received a survey about 1 month ago with a bunch of questions on different meal choices and how much I'd pay for it, however this was before the announcement of the IAD experiment. There was a comments section at the end where I asked them if they "were running an airline or a convenience store?"

I guess that's the same survey others were mentioning above, maybe they finally got through reading all the comments!
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:03 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Message about the reverse meal decision from UAL Pilots-ALPA

UAL Managements Flip-Flop on Meal Policy
Demonstrates Inadequate Leadership

Chicago, Ill., September 2, 2008--Todays announcement by United Airlines (Nasdaq: UAUA) that it is reversing plans to charge passengers on overseas flights for meals is further proof that the airlines CEO and his executives are out of touch with the needs of its passengers.

(United CEO) Glenn Tilton once again demonstrates an alarming disconnect with the lifes blood of our airline, said Captain Steve Wallach, chairman of the United Chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association. Mr. Tilton and his executives floated this ill-advised scheme to try to raise revenue while making service worse for our passengers. And our passengers have made their objections clear.

Our passengers deserve better than to be treated as guinea pigs by an executive who obviously lacks direction and vision. Its time Mr. Tilton and his minions stop abusing the goodwill of Uniteds passengers and instead take fundamental steps to improve service, rationalize flight schedules and eliminate excessive perks and bonuses for executives.

On August 20, the Company announced it was discontinuing complimentary meal service in coach on many flights to and from Europe as a way, they claimed, of offsetting rising fuel costs. In a press release that same day, Uniteds pilots said the real reason for the meal charges was to enable the airline to further reduce flight attendant staffing, which would make onboard service noticeably worse. By any measure, the pilots believe, the proposed changes would have been a disastrous business strategy that would only drive away customers and encourage them to choose other airlines. Todays reversal by the company clearly demonstrates that the pilots have a better feel for the pulse of their customers needs than their non-airline CEO.

The evidence continues to mount that United Airlines remains a misguided ship under Mr. Tiltons direction, said Captain Wallach.

The United pilots have set up a petition on their website, www.GlennTilton.com, for United passengers to demand the removal of these and other charges, and to restore the service passengers once expected from United Airlines.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
if a butterfly in the woods flaps its wings............ALPA decides the fact the butterfly has evolved to fly itself and not need United is proof Tilton must go

Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm pretty sure the majority of C is still upgrades.
Maybe so, but is that the way to encourage people to buy C when you're still getting Y service? UA's spending all this money on updating their 3 cabin F and C products and then cuts service accordingly? The move doesn't make much sense, and if anything, I think it would encourage people just to upgrade rather than pay for C.

Just seems counterproductive to me.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
if a butterfly in the woods flaps its wings............ALPA decides the fact the butterfly has evolved to fly itself and not need United is proof Tilton must go

They are right in the sense that service needs to be restored. UA needs to distinguish itself on service and make it worth paying the price to fly them. UA's not going to return to profitability by continually cutting services (although trimming fat CAN help, but I'm not sure there's much left at UA) and nickel and diming people for what little they do offer now.

If I flew Y across the pond and had to buy on board, I'd certainly be taking a stronger look at *A carriers ... especially if they offered other perks like laptop power.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
I agree with the pilots - this was a horrible case of bad management which further diminished the view of UA in the eyes of the public. The timing could not have been worse - it all happened during the time when they were paying out millions for Olympic advertising and sponsorship....so you have MSNBC headlining how United is making travel even more miserable at the same time that United is running an ad on NBC suggesting that new international seats and service make this the "time to fly."

Beyond stupid.

Now - they are going to collect money for business class and/or upgrades from coach to business on a transcon 3 cabin aircraft and throw a cold sandwich BOB box at their best customers. So, 16 flights a day times the number of your best customers being irratated by this USAirways level of service...so that the company can save a few hundred dollars on meal service?

I've said it before - United and the dedicated employees are much better than this. The company does have the ability to deliver world class service and to compete with any airline at a premium level...they just need some good leadership.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:59 pm

Well, I hope they don't start charging fuel surcharges on award tix for instance in lieu of axing the transatlantic BOB. I am afraid they could justify it in the name of cost cutting/increasing revenue to "survive"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.