Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2008 Catering Changes at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by blort
The p.s. flight I referenced is in November.
My December 23rd flight is also still showing Breakfast/Lunch
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by msonich
Yes---from a guy in the Pilot's Union who has been using this issue on this thread to rally support for his cause. I'll take confirmation from a non-interested party, TYVM.

(note: not saying that the rumors aren't true---but I'd rather my confirmation be reliable)

I'm looking at the United document right now, which two other more reliable posters referenced earlier in the thread.

Please satisfy yourself by whatever means you find helpful.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by kenhawk
One word...liquidation.
Agreed...if this is true, which everyone else seems to think it is, then thank goodness I quit before they came up with this BS. Now if I'd only been smart enough to change my allegiance as a customer too!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
All those folks that said loosing the 500 minimum was not worth fighting for, nor a big deal... are you ready to fight yet?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:06 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, BMI Gold, United 1K
I am leaving United. What a pathetic airline!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: 1K no more
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Even if this has little impact in the short-term, I just don't see where their future 1K and GS customers will come from...
Future 1Ks, such as myself, are pax who need to fly UA's nonstop BRU-IAD service every month and who want to sit in a C seat at below C cost. Food service is not why I fly and I think some of us can take it or leave it. What would be bad for me is for premium seating upgrades and/or the flights to end or become unreliable. UA951 and 950 usually leave and arrive on time.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I remain 100% UA due to MP, E+, and price. It continues to win on all counts v. LH and SQ (my primary alternative options) abroad, and obviously pwns US domestic.

That said, my largest concern for international BOB is special meals. For example, none of the fresh options are vegetarian. Then consider other types of dietaryneeds. I'm not sure how feasible it is to obtain this at the airport (esp. overseas) and have it "keep" for such a long flight. My special discovery IVML is now gone from TATL ex-IAD. I'd even pay $5-8 to get that back!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: 1K no more
[QUOTE=FLYDCA;10226055]This rumor was apparently posted as early as 8 August.

[QUOTE]

these are not rumors, service cuts were prominently mentioned in UA 2Q investor conference call
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: United/Star Alliance - 1K
Originally Posted by rch4u
Fuel prices are falling now ... someone should inform United.

Does this mean that elites will now be able to select seats in Business on "North America Three-Class Airplanes" without upgrade instruments (similar to AA)?
Prices are falling but considering where they've been.... $110 is better than $140, but weren't we nashing our teeth @ $75?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Well at least First Class is holding it's own (such as it is in three classes on domestic flights), so I guess I have that going for me.

But it might be time to say farewell to UA when it comes going to and from Japan. I still love the service on UA875 and UA876, but it might be time to move to NH, even with the connection, just to save myself from eventual disappointment when UA mucks-up their TPAC service.

At least I get LH across The Pond.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: SQ-S.PPS, DL-G, NW-G, BD-G, US-G, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Platinum A332

Well Done United - you make Sudan Airways look luxurious
= Now now. Having flown Sudan Airways, this is a tremendous insult to them.

Cheers,
A.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
I just sent an email to 1K voice expressing my displeasure, and when I finally get home or to my office from this trip I'll print and send a snailmail to WHQ. After I send my status match requests to CO and DL.

I now seriously regret my decision and purchases to requalify 1K this year rather than move more spend to a better airline/alliance.

I like the poster upthread who linked to the old People Express 747 image am looking forward to more *A TATL from EWR on CO. But rather than waiting for CO to join *A and using my UA status on CO, I'm going for it now. Meanwhile match DL before the DL/NW merger (since I matched to NW from low-UA back in the day).

For the record, PE transcon F 747 service back in 1988 was a heck of a lot better than what UA will be offering in 3-class domestic C.

This is just disgusting. I agree - it feels like the end-days of PA, or EA. Not exactly the same scenario, but the same downward spiral. With this change even US seems like a more likely candidate for survival as the USA junior partner in *A than does UA.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Called United 1K desk

Well I just called the 1K international reservation desk and asked the question. The agent told me that she has not seen any official notification of this and that I should check united.com for final confirmation. She did however mention that she would not be surprised if this is the case.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:29 am

To my knowledge, the last airline to attempt BOB-only on transatlantic flights was Air Madrid between South America and Spain. That lasted a couple of months before they introduced free Y meals. Word is that cleaning up the plane from the food people brought on board after each flight (apparently leftovers and trash created a pretty messy scene on these long flights) turned out to be more costly than providing free catering. Still, Air Madrid was grounded at the end of 2006 and liquidated.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
This actually makes me sad/furious at the same time.

We've been watching the Olympics, and I was proud to see the new classy United commercials, and actually thought "Wow, UA is impressing me more and more."

Now this. I am seriously considering moving all my mileage-earning over to BMI or LH, and flying LH whenever I cross the Atlantic from now on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.