Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2008 Catering Changes at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: UA GS
I have resisted jumping ship from United through all of their other BS. But this is just such a hugh slap in the face to those of us who pay more and go out of way to fly UA. (I primarily fly them on ps and internationally.) UAL is really becoming a joke and I have no trouble liquidating my miles and leaving them now. As many have noted, I can't wait for CO to get fully integrated into *A, and at this point, I am looking forward to flying VA between NYC and LAX. And for my international flying, I will now be flying with whatever European carrier can get me there non-stop from JFK without going through ORD or IAD (we all know it's another story how UAL gave away JFK!!)
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
im sorry, even getting rid of meals in 3class is a joke.
yes they may be upgraders BUT there your most loyal customers!!! im sorry but i try to fly more united just for that extra e500's for the iad-den flight, yeah i could spend moeny on other airlines, but i want that upgrade.

so if i give united 300 bucks more over a couple of flights, im pretty sure they can give me a 10 dollar meal to keep me happy and on united.

I already hit 2p for the year, wont hit 1p. so might as well take my flights to another airline the rest of the year and see how they are.

I was already upset about no free booze in Y, but i could live with that, now 10 hour flights with no free food? booooooooooo

ps, 99% of my flying is leasure, so its my own hard earned money, and i can choose how to spend it!!!!!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Agree with your wider point, but:

1. It will not result in a drop in ticket prices - it's just a rip-off
2. In the case of IAD, you're proposing up to 12 hours between meals depending on block time, boarding and delays.
I do not suggest that the elimination of food service will directly lead to a drop in prices - nor do I even believe it will. It may, however, delay or reduce price increases, or, perhaps keep UA out of bankruptcy altogether. (I respect that UA, and all airlines, prefer to remain viable business entities).

And you are correct, truly long flights may require fuller service, lest pax starve.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Agree with your wider point, but:

1. It will not result in a drop in ticket prices - it's just a rip-off
Well, given that UA is apparently losing money on most flights, who's doing the ripping off?

Originally Posted by jfhscott
I'm gonna get a bunch of folks ganging up on me for this
Well, I pretty much agree with you.

The wonderful, ahem, economy meal has never been the reason for me to choose UA on transatlantic flights. It's all about E+ and schedule convenience. If they stop offering those (and the loss of UA 926/927 is a step in that direction), I'll have to find alternatives. But I can easily deal with feeding myself prior, during and after the flight.

For those wondering about KWI and Europe, a lot of companies think of regions such as EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) instead of continents, so I suspect that's what drove this weird phrasing. What it highlighted to me was that UA really only has one destination in EMEA that isn't actually in Europe.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:36 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by jfhscott
I And yes, it is a bit expensive, and the carriers are successfully shifting my eating decisions out of the air and back onto land, where it belongs.
OK, but even 6 hours without food is a long time - especially if your prior flight sat on the tarmac for an hour waiting for a gate to open up, so you had to dash to catch this one, with no time to grab a bite in the terminal.

I wouldn't really mind so much paying $5 for a BOB sandwich, even on TATL, because the BOB fresh food tends to be much better than the awful warm meals. But $9 is absurd. And there are situations where one can't avoid paying it. That, to me, makes it extortion.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
... number of people will (er... already have) bulk bypass the data points in first post and proceed straight to "will my SFO - FRA non-stop not have a meal?!" ...
It will. Not for long though.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, American Platinum Pro
It is just sad to see that many US Carriers including UA, US and AA are moving in the wrong direction. Don't they realize that many premium customers are not willing to stand flying an US Airline anymore especially domestic. They should try and win back customers that moved to Jet Charters with a more personalized service however exactly the opposite is happening driving even more high yielding passengers away.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by CrackAddick
Previuosly, I used to avoid IAD like the plague and try and route through ORD. Now that they have changed my favourite UA928 from a 777 to a 767, I'm left with the option of a "poor" E+ seat on a 767 out or ORD or a great E+ seat and no food out of IAD on a 777

Even US is starting to look an appealing option to the East Coast now.
And that'd scary!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:43 am

"We benchmark our international competitors to determine what our customers should expect from us for both product and service.
We recognize our customers, like our investors, have increasing choices, and we want them to choose United.
We begin with getting the basics right; comparing performance to the best airlines and looking for best practice beyond our industry."

(Glenn Tilton)
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
im sorry, even getting rid of meals in 3class is a joke.
yes they may be upgraders BUT there your most loyal customers!!! im sorry but i try to fly more united just for that extra e500's for the iad-den flight, yeah i could spend moeny on other airlines, but i want that upgrade.

so if i give united 300 bucks more over a couple of flights, im pretty sure they can give me a 10 dollar meal to keep me happy and on united.

I already hit 2p for the year, wont hit 1p. so might as well take my flights to another airline the rest of the year and see how they are.

I was already upset about no free booze in Y, but i could live with that, now 10 hour flights with no free food? booooooooooo

ps, 99% of my flying is leasure, so its my own hard earned money, and i can choose how to spend it!!!!!
No offense, but I don't think UA will miss you too much...
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:44 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by snic
OK, but even 6 hours without food is a long time - especially if your prior flight sat on the tarmac for an hour waiting for a gate to open up, so you had to dash to catch this one, with no time to grab a bite in the terminal.

I wouldn't really mind so much paying $5 for a BOB sandwich, even on TATL, because the BOB fresh food tends to be much better than the awful warm meals. But $9 is absurd. And there are situations where one can't avoid paying it. That, to me, makes it extortion.
I don't have the data (and if someone does, it would be interesting to hear about), but I'm not certain that a $9 BOB sandwich, while expensive by my standards, would be a profit center for UA. I appreciate that the cost of delivery increases greatly in the air. Anyone have data or other insights as to factors impacting costs?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by DogHead
"We benchmark our international competitors to determine what our customers should expect from us for both product and service.
We recognize our customers, like our investors, have increasing choices, and we want them to choose United.
We begin with getting the basics right; comparing performance to the best airlines and looking for best practice beyond our industry."

(Glenn Tilton)
That gave me a laugh.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Colin
3 class C to JFK costs more than 2 class F to EWR. I just don't see United giving ps C customers a cold box for dinner at 5PM on a Thursday night.
I think if you read between the lines the PS C service will have a second hot meal eliminated, but not the main one. I think the 3-class domestic changes apply only to non PS.

Or maybe PS C will get complimentary BOB, which would be stunning.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by as219
Okay, this is bloviation to some extent, but if you're a frequent traveler on p.s. breakfast flights, you must have noticed that many -- perhaps half or more -- of the pax don't want the second snack. I think it's stupid, stupid to tinker with the premium cabins of top earning routes...
I haven't noticed that, probably because I don't take a tally of the eating habits of my fellow passengers.

Personally, I always had the second snack on p.s. breakfast flights, since I generally don't go to lunch from the airport. That leaves quite a gap between breakfast on east coast time and dinner on west coast time.

I bought my last roundtrip in Z instead of D since they announced the cuts to p.s. F. The Z fare was $3225. Let's say UA bumped the fare to $3275 but kept the second snack. Would anybody suddenly say "whoa, I'm not paying that much!" and walk away?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:51 am

I understand the logic of selling meals to Y pax on LST fares. What I simply cannot understand is the logic of selling meals to pax on YBMH fares. Is UA kidding? The person paying many hundreds if not thousands more for their seat will be asked to fork over cash for dinner?!? Does UA really think that all pax in Y are "el cheapos"?

I have to imagine there's some way to include a meal voucher when pax pay substantial sums for Y seats. Otherwise they really are going to stick it to some top-paying customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.