Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2008 Catering Changes at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by tods27
While this sucks, I would simply bring food on board and not buy the breakfast. $5 isn't going to make me leave UA.
No one is complaining about the 5$. It is about the whole concept. UA doesn't get it operations straighten out and tries to squeeze the last nickel and dime out of the passenger. Does anyone actually believe that the extra revenue together from BOB with the reduced cost from less items catered will bring UA back into black numbers? I don't believe so.

By the way I don't consider the tatl flights from IAD to Europe not as short. They might be shorter than trans-pacific flights but still one free meal service should be possible. Especially when your competitors on these routes are European, Middle East and Asian airlines. Maybe UA can pull off this service enhancements on trans-con flights unpunished where the competitors are US, DL, AA etc. but not on tatl flights.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: A few here and there
Thumbs down This is a joke right?

Knowing this, why would anyone book a flight on United? The majority of my travel overseas is leisure. I suppose the bright side is for a few months before they go belly up planes will be empty!

KS
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We flew FRA-SFO in C yesterday and I was surprised to hear a mid-flight snack being touted as available back in Y for $3. Probably been discussed on FT and around for awhile but new to us.

A foreshadowing of reading the info presented. Telling, isn't it, that some here suspect it's bogus or a parody? How soon before truth overcomes fiction and there'll be pay toilets?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by UA memo
Replacing complimentary meals in UE with BOB fresh and snack box
offerings.
In both directions on long-haul? Extraordinary.

What about those customers who bought an economy ticket expecting full (ie normal) service? I notice the website now says "we offer complimentary meals on most flights between the US and Europe" but there must have been customers who bought before that was changed.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:05 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
I'm gonna get a bunch of folks ganging up on me for this, but:

Really, now, food service at 30,000 feet is a very inefficient way of keeping folks fed and watered. It is a very costly way to feed people and the contraints of a galley tend to result in a pretty poor product. Moreover, the FA labor cost associated with serving is exhorbitant compared to sea level options. Even my experiences in TATL and Trans-Pac business class have been unsatisfactory. (Never able to get red meat that is not totally cooked through).

Of course, anything can be had at 30,000 for a price. And I don't want to pay that price. And I don't want the cost of a miserable 30,000 E tv meal in a tin inherently incorporated into my ticket price. I'd truly rather have a full, enjoyable, meal at the airport and forego the airline slop altogether, if it ends up reflected in ticket prices (which I presume it does in some way, shape, or form).

Simply, I suggest that the food service business at 30,000 feet is not one airlines should be in in the general sense. BOB allows one to sate one's hunger at a price that reflects the cost of delivery of the service. And yes, it is a bit expensive, and the carriers are successfully shifting my eating decisions out of the air and back onto land, where it belongs.

I also suggest that, on balance, most pax would prefer better AVOD and in flight internet to free, low caliber meals and snacks. (Please note this, Mr. Tilton)

I am, however, troubled that UAL is once again a pioneer in the race to the bottom. This portends for other service "enhancements" to come.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:06 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
OK, so maybe BOB will be free in 3 class C, but can you imagine what the cabin will smell like if everyone chooses the BOB with the can of tuna and the humus?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:08 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
So tacky.

If I wanted tacky, I can do that on the cheap. Thankfully, AA and DL haven't been 'taking the pot' and coming up with such tacky ideas.

Terrible move, UA. 500 mile minimums gone, now this. Guess who won't be looking for any kind of status match.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:15 am

Angry United BOB Trans-Atlantic

Send a message to United that coach passengers are valuable customers too! I have just cancelled my Mileage Plus credit card (and explained to the Chase representative that I was cancelling my card in protest of this latest insult) and will not be flying UA any longer. If enough of us complain about United's total abandonment of service to coach passengers and take our business elsewhere, perhaps we can convince UA that they need to re-examine this foolish new policy.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
So tacky.

If I wanted tacky, I can do that on the cheap. Thankfully, AA and DL haven't been 'taking the pot' and coming up with such tacky ideas.

Terrible move, UA. 500 mile minimums gone, now this. Guess who won't be looking for any kind of status match.
Stop thinking of yourself as a passenger and start thinking of yourself as a source of ancillary revenue.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Muerz
Bye Bye United... Lufthansa will be happy they have a new partner of choice in Continental...
Could not agree more.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by jfhscott
I'd truly rather have a full, enjoyable, meal at the airport and forego the airline slop altogether, if it ends up reflected in ticket prices (which I presume it does in some way, shape, or form)..
Agree with your wider point, but:

1. It will not result in a drop in ticket prices - it's just a rip-off
2. In the case of IAD, you're proposing up to 12 hours between meals depending on block time, boarding and delays.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:22 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I am truly stunned by this.

The end is nigh.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Not to troll and bait folks, but maybe the topic title (mods?) should be "Transatlantic Meal Service (ex-IAD only) in Y ... ". Got a feeling that a number of people will (er... already have) bulk bypass the data points in first post and proceed straight to "will my SFO - FRA non-stop not have a meal?!" type posts.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
"Fuel is expensive. So get out your wallets. And don't forget--research has shown that you want this." What a brazen insult to our intelligence. What a joke of an airline.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Eliminate Second Service in p.s. Market

• Removing the pre-arrival snack service and replacing with a beverage service
in response to flight attendant and customer feedback.
Sheesh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.