Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall 2008 Catering Changes at UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
This would indicate to me that most business seats on 3 class domestic flights are filled with upgrades.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
OK, I am not defending UA but I had always wondered why UA offered a full meal service in Y on (for example) IAD-LHR but not on the (longer) ORD-OGG which made no sense . I had presumed that it was due to competition from European carriers TATL but maybe not...

Cheers,
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:06 am

3 class C to JFK costs more than 2 class F to EWR. I just don't see United giving ps C customers a cold box for dinner at 5PM on a Thursday night.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by adambrau
• Fresh items increase from $7 to $9.
I thought the fresh wraps/sandwiches/salads were a good value at $5, somewhat less so at $7. They are extortionate at $9 and I will not pay that much. I'll bring food from home instead. But of course UA realizes that travellers don't have that option for many flights, and they are assuming that if you'd be willing to pay $5 for a slice a pizza at or near the airport and schlepp it onboard, you'd be willing to pay $4 more for the convenience of BOB.

• A combined BOB service will be offered in United Business® (UB) and
United Economy® (UE).

•Customers in UB will receive complimentary beverages and BOB offering.
This is absolutely pathetic.

Buy on Board Offered Out of IAD to Europe (except KWI)

• Replacing complimentary meals in UE with BOB fresh and snack box
offerings.
Well, if they're going to charge for meals on all other flights, why not international as well? But the next time I drag my family on a (paid) vacation to Europe in E, you won't find us on UA.

Eliminate Second Service in p.s. Market

• Removing the pre-arrival snack service and replacing with a beverage service
in response to flight attendant and customer feedback.
Another "smart" move - kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Feed your best fare-paying customers hamburgers and other slop, eliminate lunch (one of the nicest things about PS morning flights) - oh, but you get to sleep in a Heavenly Bed, if you can sleep at all with your stomach ache.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by adambrau

I'd love to see the "flight attendant and customer feedback" that somehow justifies this change.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:10 am

In order for the above to be true, sufficient number of the following had to happen. You decide if it's doubletalk or truth.

FA: Customers say they don't like the pre-arrival snacks. They usually decline it. We're wasting money and effort doing this, and should stop.

Customer: Hi I'm writing in to complain about pre-arrival snacks. I think it's not needed and United Airlines should get rid of it. The main meal filled me up really nicely anyways, and all that extra food is getting thrown away with nobody eating it.
What probably really happened is the following:

UA Mgt: Ok you FAs, which of the following do you prefer? 1) UA bankruptcy, 2) Getting rid of p.s. JFK-LAX, 3) getting rid of second service?
FA: ... I guess #3 it is.

UA Mgt: Hi you're our most loyal customer. I see that you are Global Services member. Thank you for flying United.
Customer: Huh? What's Global Services? Why are you wasting my time? I'm a busy CEO of a global company, yes.
UA Mgt: Oh sorry, by the way which one of the following would you prefer: 1) UA bankruptcy, 2) Getting rid of p.s. JFK-LAX, 3) getting rid of second service.
Customer: Bankruptcy sounds bad, and don't get rid of JFK-LAX! I'll pick #3, whatever that is.
UA Mgt: Thank you for your time today sir, a wise move if I may add.
One thing for sure though - All the people who try to purposefully fly 3-class 767/777 on domestic leg, just got the shaft. I guess sitting in new C cabin and eating a cold sandwich isn't going to diffuse product differentiation and ruin advertising efforts? Really, really hope UA's top-dollar-paid analysts thought about this. What non-frequent flyer is going to fly new C on int'l and know that the food is not a cold sandwich or salad?

Last edited by bhmlurker; Aug 19, 2008 at 7:24 am
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:10 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by tods27
The TATL is only from IAD, and those are shorter flights.
But believe me, they will change it to ORD TATL and TPAC as well if they think they can get away with it.

Vote with your feet. Don't fly UA in E from IAD-Europe, unless you've decided that Kuwait is in Europe.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:14 am

New Livery?

No one has yet mentioned the new "UNITED PEOPLES EXPRESS" livery to go with the backwards TATL bob move

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...plexpress1.jpg

I hear quite often "Thanks for flying with XX today, we know you had a choice of airline".

Shame I won't be hearing that on a UA flight again
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
• A combined BOB service will be offered in United Business® (UB) and
United Economy® (UE).

•Customers in UB will receive complimentary beverages and BOB offering.
Am I the only one reading it as customers in UB will receive [both] complimentary (beverages and BOB offering)?

i.e., they're standardizing the catering to BOB catering, but giving it away in UB.

Still a cut, though.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:35 am

OK. So I read this thread this morning and my blood started boiling. So I call up Customer Relations and ask the very nice gentleman whether or not he can confirm these service changes. He places me on hold for a while and comes back saying that there has been no communication from UA management regarding these changes.

So what's the deal? Is this a joke? Or can United not even communicate their own changes to their employees? I'm totally pissed about the 3-class business (or lack thereof) service changes.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:41 am

You know when a legacy full-service airline is in a mess, when they charge food in their "premium service" Business class cabin. When will UA start charging for lavatory use, oxygen use, surcharge for sitting on a seat.....UA is an absolute joke. If they go under, it won't be a loss to the US Market, especially with these ridiculous changes. AA can fill the gap in ORD and LAX, F9 can fill the gap in DEN, and I am sure other airlines will willingly fill the gaps of SFO and IAD.

Well Done United - you make Sudan Airways look luxurious
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
This would indicate to me that most business seats on 3 class domestic flights are filled with upgrades.
But wasn't that obvious already?

It seems to me that of the announced changes, this is the one that makes a modicum of sense. Excepting p.s., and maybe a tiny bit ex-IAD, there isn't domestic demand for 3-class planes. If only a small percentage of C pax are paid, but you have to cater for every 2P and his brother upgrading, then, well, that's some savings that can be recouped.

I wonder, though, how UA will handle the fares on these planes... You certainly can't charge 2-class F prices for 3-class C with no food. But then what do you charge people to fly C?

The real problem I forsee for the business traveler is not knowing what you're going to get. You book 2-class F, expecting food, only to have your equipment swapped and get stuck with BOB. As a liesure traveler/upgrader, I'll take what I can get, but I expect this will anger a lot of people paying top $$$.

Originally Posted by Colin
3 class C to JFK costs more than 2 class F to EWR. I just don't see United giving ps C customers a cold box for dinner at 5PM on a Thursday night.
They're not. Pax in p.s. C will still get hot meals.

Originally Posted by blort
I'd love to see the "flight attendant and customer feedback" that somehow justifies this change.
Okay, this is bloviation to some extent, but if you're a frequent traveler on p.s. breakfast flights, you must have noticed that many -- perhaps half or more -- of the pax don't want the second snack. I think it's stupid, stupid to tinker with the premium cabins of top earning routes...
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrislacey
OK. So I read this thread this morning and my blood started boiling. So I call up Customer Relations and ask the very nice gentleman whether or not he can confirm these service changes. He places me on hold for a while and comes back saying that there has been no communication from UA management regarding these changes.

So what's the deal? Is this a joke? Or can United not even communicate their own changes to their employees? I'm totally pissed about the 3-class business (or lack thereof) service changes.
It's both: The joke is that UA can't get their employees up to speed.

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
You know when a legacy full-service airline is in a mess, when they charge food in their "premium service" Business class cabin. When will UA start charging for lavatory use, oxygen use, surcharge for sitting on a seat.....UA is an absolute joke. If they go under, it won't be a loss to the US Market, especially with these ridiculous changes. AA can fill the gap in ORD and LAX, F9 can fill the gap in DEN, and I am sure other airlines will willingly fill the gaps of SFO and IAD.

Well Done United - you make Sudan Airways look luxurious

Second service is being eliminated on p.s. flights. Ergo, the first service is not being eliminated.

I agree, though, the wording of the memo -- if accurate -- is misleading.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 19, 2008 at 9:50 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
This has got to be a joke

Last edited by FightingIlliniUAL; Aug 19, 2008 at 7:53 am
Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Bye Bye United... Lufthansa will be happy they have a new partner of choice in Continental...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.