Wiki Posts
Search

Oh noes! No more pillows in f?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
SMI/J strikes again.

The new UA is becoming a pathetic excuse of an airline. He has to realize that all these things that he's taking away, not just pillows, are the reason that we have remained loyal to UA. Take away all the perks, and I might as well just fly WN.
I don't think he cares. Really. I think this is all going according to plan, which is:

- destroy a worthwhile (and better) competitor
- expand the reach and dominance of a pathetic cut-rate regional carrier

He doesn't care if you leave, because there's always another sucker around the corner. You can't take your business elsewhere, because there isn't enough domestic capacity to accommodate all of us at reasonable fares. We're stuck, and he knows it.

I hope those of you who celebrated this merger so you could use UA SWUs to Guam for one calendar year are happy now.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, CZR 7*, MGM Plat
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
In a window seat, put it in the space between the armrest and the wall. Allows for easy access, too.

In an aisle seat, put it in the overhead. Not as easy to access, but it doesn't take up the entire seat pocket or get shoved in your face if the person reclines.
That is what I do in the window seat. If for some reason in the future I stumble across a pillow on my aisle seat I will put it in the overhead. Good tip.
Old May 23, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
I have had several CO-branded F domestic flights this year (in addition to my many usual UA domestic Fs). CO F was/is inferior in several ways, including no pillows and no table linen - useful for covering up unclean seat trays. The FAs have been a notch below UA's (a lack of literate English skills on a domestic flight is not impressive); the assault on ears of blaring mandatory ads before the safety spiel is low-rent and invasive (on one flight the screaming ad for a horror movie literally featured screaming whioch startled several people around me). Moving the barely OK UA product to the substandard CO standard is another move in the wrong direction.
Old May 23, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Only AA and UA offers tray table linens (well, AA's is just a big linen cloth that covers the meal tray AND the table tray). US, DL, and CO doesn't. Actually, CO's presentation is a bit nicer than US and DL's because CO uses an actual meal tray linen and napkin linen, while DL and US uses paper napkins in F, and no tray linens AT ALL.

IMHO, I like CO's F presentation better than UA's because while UA uses the white tablecloth linen (which really looks nice, BTW), the presentation is ruined by the "naked" meal tray on top of the tablecloth. The meal tray isn't covered by a linen, so it looks tacky, IMHO. CO may not use a tablecloth, but at least their meal trays are covered by a nice light blue linen. Also, I like their plates and bowls better The blue linings are a nice and unique effect.

Not saying CO's F isn't inferior in its' own ways; there's no argument that CO F has its' weaknesses. However, there are worse products out there (US and DL).

Originally Posted by ual1960
I have had several CO-branded F domestic flights this year (in addition to my many usual UA domestic Fs). CO F was/is inferior in several ways, including no pillows and no table linen - useful for covering up unclean seat trays. The FAs have been a notch below UA's (a lack of literate English skills on a domestic flight is not impressive); the assault on ears of blaring mandatory ads before the safety spiel is low-rent and invasive (on one flight the screaming ad for a horror movie literally featured screaming whioch startled several people around me). Moving the barely OK UA product to the substandard CO standard is another move in the wrong direction.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
NOT at all happy about the removal of pillows, I definitely need it for neck support, one more thing I have to bring, I'll buy a pillow, attach a metal loop to it and grab a camping clamp and attach it to my carry-on so it's still 1 item.

$MI/J is ruining this airline
Old May 23, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by zabes64
$MI/J is ruining this airline
unitedps.com does not even exist anymore - we all know what's next.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
Count me in as another who thinks this change is pathetic. The pillows make transcon domestic tolerable as the seat doesn't work well for my back.

How much does it cost to service a pillow for each F seat...$0.50 each?

OK...I just realized the irony in that previous post given my signature line below. I may have to change that to "almost all conditions." A few more of these changes is going to push me over the edge.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 23, 2011 at 6:19 pm Reason: merge
Old May 23, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
write and complain

Write to 1kvoice and complain.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Negative. CO is the only carrier who does not provide pillows in F on domestic flights. They may have some transcons as an exception, but in general, CO does not have pillows and hasn't had them for a couple years now.

Unfortunately, this is yet another CO negative that is coming over to the "world's leading airline."

If you want pillows, they're available on AA, US, DL, and up until yesterday, UA.
AA doesn't have pillows on most domestic flights - it's the nasty red blanket only. But they do put the full pillow/blanket sets on some trans-cons IIRC.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No pillows in F on UA225 IAD-SFO on the 21st, only blankets.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
FWIW...no pillows on three segments today...A service director was on my LAX-ORD flight and he personally apologized to every First passenger for the lack of pillows and asked if we really liked having them...he was taking notes!! The FAs and purser on the other flights were surprised that there were no pillows...and made an announcement that they were not boarded...only to be told by passengers that UA has eliminated them (just like CO)...All I can say is that their very vocal responses can not be posted on this board!!
Old May 24, 2011, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Write to 1kvoice and complain.
what s/he said. that's ridiculous.

i'll be flying SFO-ORD tomorrow in 'F' as part of a very long itinerary so will have good reason to complain. too cheap to believe...or is it?
Old May 24, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Pillows in F on SkyWest CRJ700. FA was shocked to hear mainline had eliminated them.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:37 am
2zz

Programs: SQ, UA, US, TG
This is definitely not a change I like. They should take away the table linen first instead of the pillow...

Can anyone confirm if p.s. still has the pillow at least? Might be taking a flight soon and will bring my own if they are not providing.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 2zz
This is definitely not a change I like. They should take away the table linen first instead of the pillow...

Can anyone confirm if p.s. still has the pillow at least? Might be taking a flight soon and will bring my own if they are not providing.
p.s. still has pillows in all cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.