Wiki Posts
Search

Oh noes! No more pillows in f?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 9:36 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by N1120A
CO's seats, at least on the 753, are uncomfortable. Not just less comfortable than UA, but truly bar-in-the-back uncomfortable. A pillow would be really nice to fix that.
I think Lucky said in a trip report somewhere the CO has the most comfortable domestic F.

I find most of the CO F seat to be comfortable (width, recline, etc.), but the headrest provides no neck support (unlike a UA headrest which essentially has a built-in pillow, although you have to raise it to the right height). Given the lack of support, IMO, a pillow is crucial.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: Too Many
If this is true, it is pathetic.

Getting a pillow in F should be an expectation, and I highly doubt it costs the airline that much money. I would highly expect that the tablecloth will be next F item to go away.

Lucky for me that I don't fly domestically that much anymore... ^
Old May 22, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, CZR 7*, MGM Plat
IAD-LAS Friday evening had pillow and blanket
LAS-IAD Sunday morning had just a blanket

To be honest, I have never used the pillow and have always been very irritated that I need to put effort into storing it before I can sit down. I put it in the upper seatback pocket on the way out and when that seat was reclined the pillow got in the way of opening the tray table and slightly interfered with my laptop.

Just my personal preference. I can see other would prefer what I consider a nuisance.

The blanket this morning was quite substantial and not the flimsy gauze that seemed to be the norm for awhile.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:49 pm

It's no surprise after the veil-like transparent "blanket".
Old May 22, 2011, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
What is fascinating to me is that all of these penny-pinching cuts apply to F too. A "first class" product that is being nickel-and-dimed away. Apparently they are surrendering F to upgraders, and don't want paid F revenue any more, or paid C for that matter. It is one thing to economize economy. But you cannot charge for first class, or even call it first class, while making these ridiculous dime-store cuts. Insanity.

I also find it interesting that the official UA reps who are quick to announce "enhancement" are always invisible when customers point out these changes. Like the boarding changes, apparently they are afraid to show themselves to explain or even confirm the changes.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tarpie
To be honest, I have never used the pillow and have always been very irritated that I need to put effort into storing it before I can sit down. I put it in the upper seatback pocket on the way out and when that seat was reclined the pillow got in the way of opening the tray table and slightly interfered with my laptop.
In a window seat, put it in the space between the armrest and the wall. Allows for easy access, too.

In an aisle seat, put it in the overhead. Not as easy to access, but it doesn't take up the entire seat pocket or get shoved in your face if the person reclines.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
In a window seat, put it in the space between the armrest and the wall. Allows for easy access, too.

In an aisle seat, put it in the overhead. Not as easy to access, but it doesn't take up the entire seat pocket or get shoved in your face if the person reclines.
As a typical window seat occupant this is what I always do for pillow and blanket.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just stepped off LIH-LAX, a 4:30am arrival to LAX. Many pax in F were asking about the lack of pillows, and the purser said that he was disappointed that the company had eliminated them.

After our arrival, I spent about ten minutes chatting with him, and he mentioned that this change was pretty , and would be noted in his next report.
Old May 23, 2011, 9:14 am

Like many in this thread, I find the pillow for lumbar support absolutely critical on CO seats.

Old May 23, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
SAT - IAD to SFO and SFO to HNL in F. Blankets but no pillows. Last night - HNL to DEN in F overnight. Same. Another enhancement to our service, one I DON'T LIKE.
Old May 23, 2011, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob
What is fascinating to me is that all of these penny-pinching cuts apply to F too. A "first class" product that is being nickel-and-dimed away. Apparently they are surrendering F to upgraders, and don't want paid F revenue any more, or paid C for that matter. It is one thing to economize economy. But you cannot charge for first class, or even call it first class, while making these ridiculous dime-store cuts. Insanity.

I also find it interesting that the official UA reps who are quick to announce "enhancement" are always invisible when customers point out these changes. Like the boarding changes, apparently they are afraid to show themselves to explain or even confirm the changes.
This is the crux of the situation. Airline cuts quality of F; fewer people pay for it. more upgrades into F; therefore F doesn't generate the revenue necessary to cover existing service. So airline further cuts F. A highly destructive positive feed back loop.

Congratulations -- that's basically what US did to its first class in the early part of the last decade. Destroyed the airline.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The thing is, CO still manages to do a great job selling their domestic F product and they haven't had pillows for a couple years.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:10 am

This is exactly what I had on my last transcon redeye flight.
You might want to ask for a few "blankets" and build a "pillow" with them.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just stepped off LIH-LAX, a 4:30am arrival to LAX. Many pax in F were asking about the lack of pillows, and the purser said that he was disappointed that the company had eliminated them.

After our arrival, I spent about ten minutes chatting with him, and he mentioned that this change was pretty , and would be noted in his next report.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
The thing is, CO still manages to do a great job selling their domestic F product and they haven't had pillows for a couple years.
1. CO's F prices are lower than the competition's.
2. Fortress hubs.
3. Fortress hubs.
Old May 23, 2011, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Do they?

CO has historically had some of the lower F fares, and most generous instant-upgrade fares. While fares have gone up in recent months, a lot of CO's advance filling of the F cabin was likely not due to people paying F, rather it was due to Elites paying Y/B/M.

So I would say that CO has done a good job filling their F cabin, but not such a good job selling their F cabin.

Of course some will argue that each time CO sells a Y/B/M over the lowest available Y fare, CO is earning some additional revenue. And that's true. However, every person who would have paid F but now only buys Y/B/M because of the Y/B/M-Up policy, they also lose revenue. Back when Y/B/M was lower, the delta between F and Y/B/M was quite significant at times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.