Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oh noes! No more pillows in f?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2011, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by afrugal1
Race to the bottom.
For those that can swing it, there's still that AA DEQM promo! It's looking better every day.

I long for the days of the old United (cannot believe I'm saying that).
Old May 22, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
I'm stupidly [in retrospect] booked to +50K with UA for 2012.
Old May 22, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by longdrelation
At the very least pillows were great for lumbar support when you sat in a well-worn F seat (especially the RJs). What's next to go, the table cloth and napkin linen?
Exactly. Pretty lame of them to get rid of it.
Old May 22, 2011, 7:19 pm
smn

Was on LAX-LAS on Friday (5/20) and LAS-SFO (5/22) in F (both UA mainline). Neither had pillows - only blankets. I figured it had something to do with the short flight, but apparently not...
Old May 22, 2011, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy

SMI/J strikes again.

The new UA is becoming a pathetic excuse of an airline. He has to realize that all these things that he's taking away, not just pillows, are the reason that we have remained loyal to UA. Take away all the perks, and I might as well just fly WN.
Ultimately, Mr. SMI/J is accountable to the shareholders. If the new United becomes so badly cheapened to a point that customers markedly abandon United for other airlines, there might be a new item on the menu just for Mr. SMI/J - crow.
-
Old May 22, 2011, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

SMI/J strikes again.

The new UA is becoming a pathetic excuse of an airline. He has to realize that all these things that he's taking away, not just pillows, are the reason that we have remained loyal to UA. Take away all the perks, and I might as well just fly WN.
Ultimately, Mr. SMI/J is accountable to the shareholders. If the new United becomes so badly cheapened to a point that customers markedly abandon United for other airlines, there might be a new item on the menu just for Mr. SMI/J - crow.
-
Exactly.

One of the assets UA brought to the table was strong revenue -- even higher RASM than CO.

If they continue to cheapen the product and customer service, they risk ruining that premium.
Old May 22, 2011, 7:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
This honestly MIGHT be the last straw for me. AA provides much better F experience. Over.
Old May 22, 2011, 8:12 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Ugh.....now I have to bring my bulky, awkward travel pillow (which I bought in IAH after being fed up with the neck pain during a connection between two flights in CO F) on UA as well.

JEFF, I HATE THIS CHANGE!
Old May 22, 2011, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold

SMI/J strikes again.

I still want to see how this all shakes out in the end. And, in and of itself, dropping the pillows is a drag but of course nowhere near the most important change an airline can make in how passengers are treated. But what concerns me is what it signifies, which is an attitude designed to cut corners wherever possible.

A bigger change is the deteriorating award and upgrade availability at time of ticketing.

I may have to decide which airline to keep status on--1K on UA or Exec Plat on AA. Up until recently it was UA, especially in view of the challenges AA is facing and the cutbacks in some of its routes. But now I'm reconsidering.

Or maybe I'll just concentrate my domestic travel on B6 wherever possible. True, no chance of wide seats a la UA or AA F. But that also means no upgrade roulette to get those seats and plenty of legroom--from 34 to 38".
Old May 22, 2011, 8:28 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Is this a joke? Because that is the only way I can fathom it.

Old May 22, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Hedbed makes a great travel pillow, not a horseshoe, but an inflatable wedge. Covered in in fleece, you can inflate to the firmness desired and it takes up little space.

I've found my self partial to my own pillow. Even in first, the pillow when available wasn't necessarily fresh or clean. Who knows what or where the pillow may have been before being covered the fresh paper pillow case.
Old May 22, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by channa
If they continue to cheapen the product and customer service, they risk ruining that premium.
Agree. Oh well, perhaps the positive side is that a mass exodus of elites will mean a higher probability of my upgrade clearing...
Old May 22, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Next to go: Ramekins with warm nuts!

If they are looking to save money, I would bet the the nuts cost them at least 25 cents per serving, and warming them, no doubt, increases energy costs.

If they really want to save money, they should get rid of most of the FAs and all inflight service---Now that's a change that Jeff could really like!
Old May 22, 2011, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
If they are looking to save money, I would bet the the nuts cost them at least 25 cents per serving, and warming them, no doubt, increases energy costs.

If they really want to save money, they should get rid of most of the FAs and all inflight service---Now that's a change that Jeff could really like!
Self service would certainly be more personalized as well as less costly.
Old May 22, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
This is a joke. An absolute joke.

Originally Posted by seacarl
I'd rather have the pillow and give up the table cloth, especially if the meal is served on a tray.

CO's seats also seem to have less lumbar support than UA ones.
CO's seats, at least on the 753, are uncomfortable. Not just less comfortable than UA, but truly bar-in-the-back uncomfortable. A pillow would be really nice to fix that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.