Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oh noes! No more pillows in f?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Flyer420
Within North America (exception above): Pillows and blankets will be provisioned for every customer in First and Business only. At this time there is no provisioning for the Economy cabin.
So pillows are being returned to domestic F?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
No pillows for red eyes from Hawaii .. Stupidity continues to reign, but at a less obvious level
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by GoingAway
No pillows for red eyes from Hawaii .. Stupidity continues to reign, but at a less obvious level
It says pillows will be provisioned to and from Hawaii, on transcon overnight flights, and on 3-cabin domestic flights ...

:To/From Hawaii, overnight Transcontinental and North America flights
operated by 3-cabin aircraft: Pillows and blankets will be provisioned"
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rch4u
It says pillows will be provisioned to and from Hawaii, on transcon overnight flights, and on 3-cabin domestic flights ...

How many 3 cabin UA aircraft do you know servicing that route? I will help you ... Zero!

Unless I am reading the pause wrong, which is possible but i dont trust anything anymore with UACO
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: Too Many
If Pillows are back, then it is really good news. ^

It seems like UACO is trying out a bunch of different changes (like the failed Boarding change) and seeing what creates an uproar, and what they can get away with. I will continue to make my voice know to UACO, as it seems many others are too.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GoingAway
How many 3 cabin UA aircraft do you know servicing that route? I will help you ... Zero!

Unless I am reading the pause wrong, which is possible but i dont trust anything anymore with UACO
I think you're misinterpreting that. I read that as pillows will be provisioned on the following types of flights:
  • To/from Hawaii
  • Overnight transcontinental flights
  • North American flights operated by three class aircraft

That's three different classifications of flights, not "Overnight Hawaii flights operated by three class aircraft," which is how I think you were reading it.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by rch4u

Where is the brand standard philosophy? I would much prefer we don't have to connect the dots to find out what we can expect in F domestically. I think it erodes the experience to not have consistency. I would love to see the bottom line on this cost for UA as well btw.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by ssullivan
I think you're misinterpreting that. I read that as pillows will be provisioned on the following types of flights:
  • To/from Hawaii
  • North American flights operated by three class aircraft

That's three different classifications of flights, not "Overnight Hawaii flights operated by three class aircraft," which is how I think you were reading it.
I read it as:

Any of the following flights:
  • To/from Hawaii
  • North American flights
operated by three class aircraft.

i.e. hub to hub and red-eyes on 3-class planes being re-positioned. Rarely if ever Hawaii.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by hjmanasa
Where is the brand standard philosophy? I would much prefer we don't have to connect the dots to find out what we can expect in F domestically. I think it erodes the experience to not have consistency.
Isn't that what they were doing? CO didn't have pillows. UA did. They removed them to be consistent.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Isn't that what they were doing? CO didn't have pillows. UA did. They removed them to be consistent.
Great misdirection ... the poster was asking about the modified policy lacking any conformity and leaving it to the passenger to guess whether they might or might not have pillows.

Geez, we can't even decide after reading the message how to interpret it!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:48 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thumbs up Good news indeed!

You are all mistaken as this is the real reason pillows are coming back

Originally Posted by goalie
In line with us signing the "Voices" page in the Hemisphere's magazine, If I am in domestic 2 cabin First, I have taken it upon my self to also write on the CEO's message page.....

"Where's my pillow!"

but seriously....

To/From Hawaii, overnight Transcontinental and North America flights operated by 3-cabin aircraft: Pillows and blankets will be provisioned

Within North America (exception above): Pillows and blankets will be provisioned for every customer in First and Business only. At this time there is no provisioning for the Economy cabin.
So with the above, I can't tell if my SFO-ORD redeye flight (in F, 2 cabin) or my morning flight ORD-SFO (in F, 2 cabin) qualify. Paragraph one would imply no but paragraph 2 implies yes.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
No pillows in yesterday's ORD - DEN 777 with FC/Y only (no C). Ugh.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by emanon256
I read it as:

Any of the following flights:
  • To/from Hawaii
  • North American flights
operated by three class aircraft.

i.e. hub to hub and red-eyes on 3-class planes being re-positioned. Rarely if ever Hawaii.
Judging on the use of punctuation in the previous clause, I would bet you are reading it wrong.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 2:27 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Judging on the use of punctuation in the previous clause, I would bet you are reading it wrong.
I agree with DeaconFlyer's reading (i.e. all flights to/from Hawaii will have pillows).

The alternative reading (that flights to/from Hawaii operated by three-cabin aircraft will have pillows) that some others are advocating actually leaves a hole in the explanation. 1KVoice's purpose in listing the various categories of flights was clearly to explain that UA had divided all of its flights into a few categories, and then explain the pillow provisioning (or not) within each category:

Originally Posted by Flyer420
Blanket and pillow provisioning will be as follows:

Transatlantic, Transpacific, South America and Transcon (ps) flights:
Pillows and blankets will be provisioned for every customer traveling in
First, Business and Economy.

To/From Hawaii, overnight Transcontinental and North America flights
operated by 3-cabin aircraft: Pillows and blankets will be provisioned

Within North America (exception above): Pillows and blankets will be
provisioned for every customer in First and Business only. At this time
there is no provisioning for the Economy cabin.
If you read the second paragraph as covering only flights "To/From Hawaii operated by 3-cabin aircraft," then none of the other paragraphs applies to 2-cabin Hawaii flights (which is almost all Hawaii flights), since these are not flights "Within North America," nor are they TPAC/TATL/S.Am./p.s. flights.

Given how thorough the response tries to be in categorizing all flights, I think it only makes sense to read the second paragraph as covering all flights "To/From Hawaii" along with all flights that are "overnight Transcontinental" or "North America flights operated by three-cabin aircraft." Rather than assuming that the policymaker who catalogued UA's flight categories (or the 1K representative who forwarded the categories in response to the member's inquiry) completely forgot about all of UA's normal Hawaii flights.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Well - Hawaii redeyes did not have them Sunday night - I can guarantee that. I did ping 1kvoice again about the stupidity of this and got the revised provisioning message. When will it kick in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.