Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
What is the cradle seat?
My flight is on old style 777, so no flat bed in C. Granted, we used to fly these to/from Asia with no problem, but now I think I've become a bit spoiled!! hahah LOL

Just flew SFO-LHR in C on 777. Both my colleague and I noted that the seat seemed quite narrow which was okay for side sleeping but cramped for back sleeping.
You flew on 77Q, so you had flat beds. If I had that bird, I'd be saving the miles and the money.
If you are broad shouldered I can see how F could be a necessary upgrade. That being said I slept quite well, but that was partly due to the later flight departure (7:30pm v. 2:30pm).
Yes, no doubt. I will surely get a good rest in F, whereas on my outbound, i'll prolly just get a bit of a nap and be tired when I hit the ground.

Dave
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bseller
My flight is on old style 777, so no flat bed in C. Granted, we used to fly these to/from Asia with no problem, but now I think I've become a bit spoiled!! hahah LOL
I actually don't mind the old style seats that much; for anything up to 9-10 hours they're tolerable (though 14 hours to HKG I would prefer the bed). When I'm the new C seat, I spend most of the time semi-reclined anyway.

If the old C had the new IFE, I could be reasonably content with it.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:50 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
It seems like the consensus is that to get a Y to F offer (international),

1) You have to have requested an UG
2) There be no NC available.
3) There be XF (not just NF) available.

Is this right?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, and some others
NRT-SEA Offer - 48,800 yen J Award -> F

I booked a 6-segment CO award ticket that included one UA segment from NRT-SEA in business.

Prior to the trip, it said I could upgrade for $995. I knew $995 was likely just for the UA segment. I was curious to see if any other airline segments (NZ, OZ, or NH) would show up but it errored out.

Upon checkin, I was offered C->F for 48,800 (~615 USD) but I didn't take the offer.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond
Thumbs up DME-IAD

Was offered Z>NF at OLCI for $999. Declined. Was offered again at check-in (in person) for $689 for DME-IAD on July 16th. Accepted the second offer on this return trip as this is a great deal in my opinion. I've posted the F menu for this route in the 2011 Let's Eat thread in case anyone is interested.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 9:52 pm

NRT-TPE business class upgrade offered at the time of purchase for $350 from L class. Declined as I'd rather have the $700 for two seats to spend on the ground. However if one of those $199 at the gate/OLCI comes around I may be swayed as I'll know whether it's the new or old config by then hopefully!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
NRT-TPE business class upgrade offered at the time of purchase for $350 from L class. Declined as I'd rather have the $700 for two seats to spend on the ground. However if one of those $199 at the gate/OLCI comes around I may be swayed as I'll know whether it's the new or old config by then hopefully!
I did the $75 plus 15K miles upgrade on NRT to TPE for this afternoon's flight, from a Z fare.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by ainternational
I did the $75 plus 15K miles upgrade on NRT to TPE for this afternoon's flight, from a Z fare.
I just checked my itinerary NRT-TPE one way, and it's showing $195 from NY->C (old config 777).
I paid 10,000 miles + $31.40 tax for this one way award ticket.
If I take this offer now, will I get RDM/EQM??? What would the booking code be?
Do you take this offer???
Old Jul 18, 2011, 5:40 pm

SEA - SFO

Just was researching O/W SEA - SFO ticket for this Sunday.

After looking at using miles (Saver F and Standard Y awards both available @ 25,000 miles. Reminder: if there is only standard Y award available, check to see if saver F awards are available for the same # of miles!).

In this case, the flight I wanted was available for $200 for Y (on a 757 as well, with a big F cabin) so I decided to just buy Y and I am about 98% certain I will get the UDU.

During the purchase process, I was offered and declined an upgrade to F for $150.00.

So, in this case I could have received a F O/W ticket for $350.00 ai.

Just for reference sake, I went back and priced out the same flight if I purchased F. All O/W F flights available on 7/24 are $468.00.

Interesting data point - although all the F flights on Sunday were $468, the Y flights varied from a low of $200 to a high of over $600.

So, for some of the flights, it appeared you could purchase F for less than the price of a Y seat...

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jul 19, 2011 at 8:44 am
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I just checked my itinerary NRT-TPE one way, and it's showing $195 from NY->C (old config 777).
I paid 10,000 miles + $31.40 tax for this one way award ticket.
If I take this offer now, will I get RDM/EQM??? What would the booking code be?
Do you take this offer???
I believe that question was asked up thread and the answer was no, you do not earn miles. I would not take the offer, especially on an old config 777, unless I did not have status/lounge access and was going to have a large chunk of time to kill at NRT and would use the C ticket to get into a club.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
It seems like the consensus is that to get a Y to F offer (international),

1) You have to have requested an UG
2) There be no NC available.
3) There be XF (not just NF) available.

Is this right?
I recently bought a Y ticket IAD-FRA and was offered a upgrade to F for $999 on the new 767 configuration. I hadn't requested an upgrade yet. I look at the availability in C and F and they're both pretty empty. Right after I booked my ticket, I was offered this "Travel Option."
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Finally the elusive double upgrade.

Booked W SEA to NRT. Hoping for an offer to A but was only getting offers for C in the old 777. Flight showing NC9. Finally gave up and used an SWU for a UG to old C. Asked at check- in for a paid UG to F, but was told it wasn't being offered. Checked at the gate. GA said the system wouldn't offer it to me but said she would override and do it anyway since the seats were available. Normally $654 but she said they had a special offer today for $608. Took it. First ever UG from NC. Wonder if they get a lot more takers at $608 rather than $654. $599 I get but $608????
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Finally the elusive double upgrade.

Booked W SEA to NRT. Hoping for an offer to A but was only getting offers for C in the old 777. Flight showing NC9. Finally gave up and used an SWU for a UG to old C. Asked at check- in for a paid UG to F, but was told it wasn't being offered. Checked at the gate. GA said the system wouldn't offer it to me but said she would override and do it anyway since the seats were available. Normally $654 but she said they had a special offer today for $608. Took it. First ever UG from NC. Wonder if they get a lot more takers at $608 rather than $654. $599 I get but $608????
I think you received a single upgrade twice (once with SWU, once with cash), rather than a double upgrade (which was a glitch that allowed an upgrade from Y to F for only the cash under certain conditions...)

However, you are in F for a reasonable (at least to you) amount of money, so that is all that matters.

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jul 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I think you received a single upgrade twice (once with SWU, once with cash), rather than a double upgrade (which was a glitch that allowed an upgrade from Y to F for only the cash...)

However, you are in F for a reasonable (at least to you) amount of money, so that is all that matters.
It would be an unlikely but welcome twist if the original SWU was returned following payment. In other words, any chance the system could still consider the paid upgrade to be Y->F and not NC->F?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
It would be an unlikely but welcome twist if the original SWU was returned following payment. In other words, any chance the system could still consider the paid upgrade to be Y->F and not NC->F?
True, if 5k received the SWU back after the F upgrade, then this would qualify as a double upgrade...

5k - call the 1K line and try to get them to return the SWU to your account and see what they say! (although, since you purchased your upgrade at the gate, you are already on the flight and it is probably too late to do this...)

My impression was that the SWU was consumed since NC was > 0.

Then once in NC, the cash upgrade to F was offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.