Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:38 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 5khours
Finally the elusive double upgrade.

Booked W SEA to NRT. Hoping for an offer to A but was only getting offers for C in the old 777. Flight showing NC9. Finally gave up and used an SWU for a UG to old C. Asked at check- in for a paid UG to F, but was told it wasn't being offered. Checked at the gate. GA said the system wouldn't offer it to me but said she would override and do it anyway since the seats were available. Normally $654 but she said they had a special offer today for $608. Took it. First ever UG from NC. Wonder if they get a lot more takers at $608 rather than $654. $599 I get but $608????
Wow, I wish I had a GA like that! As noted upthread, agents in JFK told me that I could pay for upgrade NC->F on SFO-NRT, but that it would have to be done in SFO because they couldn't price it in JFK (which I don't think is correct--the prices are in a profile, right?)

But at SFO, the agents all said that this was not allowed because I was already in NC (although they could get a price for C->F of ~$600, which I thought was reasonable, but they said the price did not apply to NC).

As a result, the F seat went out empty and UA made $600 less. Maybe this could still be a good long-term strategy for UA to deny the upsell to NCs (if the long-term benefits, like selling more full-price F seats, outweigh the short-term losses). But that day I saw a $600 short-term loss to UA.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I think you received a single upgrade twice (once with SWU, once with cash), rather than a double upgrade (which was a glitch that allowed an upgrade from Y to F for only the cash under certain conditions...)
I do not believe it is or ever WAS a glitch. I have seen it on OZ routes, and I have seen it on TATL.

Whatever it IS, it is known to IM, imo.

Dave
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by bseller
I do not believe it is or ever WAS a glitch. I have seen it on OZ routes, and I have seen it on TATL.

Whatever it IS, it is known to IM, imo.

Dave
Fair enough. I should not state unequivocally that it is a glitch, because of course I do not know either.

However, I have not seen a recent report of anyone being offerd this (Y - F under certain conditions) upsell.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I have not seen a recent report of anyone being offerd this (Y - F under certain conditions) upsell.
Fair point. The last time I availed myself of it was on 23rd June.

Dave
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Just to clarify on how I am using the terminology.

A Double upgrade is when you upgrade once from Y to C and then use a separate instrument, cash, etc. to upgrade from C to F.

A two class upgrade is when you use cash to upgrade from Y to F.

I have purchased and used at least a half dozen two class upgrades. All to A and all offered either a purchase or at some point well before flight date.

I have asked for many, many time and never got a double upgrade until this week, when I used an SWU to UG from W to NC (a week before the flight) and then the GA overrode the system and sold me a UFC for $608 to UG from NC to F.

A couple of things to note. 1) Unlike what I have been told before the agents can override the system. The GA mentioned that they are being encouraged to sell UGs so maybe this is the beginning of the end of the prohibition on double upgrades.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
J...The GA mentioned that they are being encouraged to sell UGs so maybe this is the beginning of the end of the prohibition on double upgrades...
This is the new-CO, they'll be encouraged to sell everything. In fairness, UA was also moving in this direction in the past few years with a whole host of services. The industry has realized that (ticket revenue) - [(fuel costs) + (labor costs)] is too volatile a spread without enough upside elasticity on the first factor due to competition. Meanwhile, once you have those millions of flyers captive, fee revenue can provide much more consistent margins (i.e. the number of pax per 1000 pax that will accept when offered a Y>C buy-up on a route at a given price is probably startlingly forecast-able. Well, unless you're an actuary, then I'm sure you find nothing startling about it.)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:25 pm

How do (should we) get this thread moved over to the consolidated UA/CO forum?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
How do (should we) get this thread moved over to the consolidated UA/CO forum?
You can send your suggestion by clicking the little red triangle to the left of your post as that is not only for "reporting bad posts" but for just the suggestion you asked.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Any recent experience with buy-up-at-the-gate on Swiss? I'd like to buy up to C from Y on 's' fare, for ORD-ZRH in November. How much should it cost me? I did it a few years ago. I'm sure things have changed a bit!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by sim510
Any recent experience with buy-up-at-the-gate on Swiss? I'd like to buy up to C from Y on 's' fare, for ORD-ZRH in November. How much should it cost me? I did it a few years ago. I'm sure things have changed a bit!
Tried this recently for C to F. No special pricing even with F wide open....just the fare difference.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:38 pm

Not sure why anyone would think Swiss would have the same business practices as UA.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
"Not sure why anyone would think Swiss would have the same business practices as UA. "
Well, for one thing, because I've done it before. Granted, it was at least a couple of years ago.

"....just the fare difference."
Did you also have to use miles as well?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Pre-merger I was traveling ps business JFK to LAX on award ticket. Was offered F for 295$ by the gate agent. I did not take the upsell.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Edwardvan
Pre-merger I was traveling ps business JFK to LAX on award ticket. Was offered F for 295$ by the gate agent. I did not take the upsell.
Interesting. Was that XC>F or XY>F?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by sim510
You might get better answers in the LH forums.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.