Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:48 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Flying Blue
Upgrade question

I searched but can't find the answer.

If I upgrade to business class using miles and copay on 747 SFO-LHR can I pick the seats myself and put the family together, or do I have to wait and see what we get.

My wife and I are both 1p and we are travelling with our son who has no status.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Pendragon
I searched but can't find the answer.

If I upgrade to business class using miles and copay on 747 SFO-LHR can I pick the seats myself and put the family together, or do I have to wait and see what we get.

My wife and I are both 1p and we are travelling with our son who has no status.
I've been able to choose and confirm seats when upgrading from Y to C or Z to F on that exact route. This was all done over the phone with the 1K desk, as I don't think the miles + copay can even be done online - at least it wasn't under Travel Options for me.

Anyhow, in short, I believe the answer to your question is yes and can be most simply verified by calling UA and asking. Now, finding upgrade availability for three though can be tough. Good luck and enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:55 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
If/when the upgrade clears, you will be able to choose seats from whatever is available. You will likely have more difficulty getting UA to release 3 seats to the upgrade pool than being able to choose. If a lot of seats are unsold shortly before travel, your upgrade chances will probably be better, but available seats more scattered about the cabin.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Pendragon
Originally Posted by ainternational
I've been able to choose and confirm seats when upgrading from Y to C or Z to F on that exact route.
Flying back from Asia I was able to choose my seats online on all segments: NRT-SEA-DEN-DFW using Miles and Ca$h.

Alas, NRT-SEA was cancelled, so ended up flying SEA-SFO in Biz, but SFO-DFW in steerage

EmailKid
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Flying Blue
Thanks

Thanks for the answers everybody, I will give UA a call in the morning.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
Was offered (without prompting) Z to F on ZRH-IAD for $550 at check-in at ZRH. Declined as it would have been my own money and I was also hopeful for a bump as Y was oversold. Ultimately didn't get the bump but seat 8C was fine anyway.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by emailkid
Alas, NRT-SEA was cancelled, so ended up flying SEA-SFO in Biz, but SFO-DFW in steerage

EmailKid
Did you ask about getting a prorated amount of miles/cash back? I certainly would have.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Any luck/reports of upsell from Y Award booking?

So I'm think of a strategy where I look for upgrade space, as award space is difficult. Looking at SFO-BKK and I ususallly see NC for the dates I want and then booking Y award and hoping for the upsell offer. Thoughts on this? If not I guess I can always cancel within 24 hours. What might the cost be for SFO-BKK?

Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Timing the use of Miles and Copay to upgrade?

I'm flying ORD-PVG in August and booked the trip in June. I was offered an upgrade ORD-PVG for 25K miles + $500. My itinerary shows me as waitlisted for C on that flight. Couple questions:

Do I lose the miles - which have already been deducted from my account if the upgrade doesn't clear or the $500 fee?

Is there a better time to do this? e.g. should I wait to upgrade and possibily get a better deal?

I haven't upgraded the return trip which was offered earlier, but now does not show? What happened?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
If the upgrade does not clear, then the miles will be returned. The $500 copay would not be charged until check-in.

You might also be given a double-upgrade offer (Y>A), if NF space exists.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The miles get returned really quickly too. I'm always surprised by that given how bad UA IT is at so many other tasks.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
The miles get returned really quickly too. I'm always surprised by that given how bad UA IT is at so many other tasks.
Agreed. I've had miles post in seconds before. Yet it takes them 2 weeks to get me an SWU back?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by SF1K
So I'm think of a strategy where I look for upgrade space, as award space is difficult. Looking at SFO-BKK and I ususallly see NC for the dates I want and then booking Y award and hoping for the upsell offer. Thoughts on this? If not I guess I can always cancel within 24 hours. What might the cost be for SFO-BKK?

Thanks.
I was on an award Y from NRT to BKK recently and tried many times (online, at check-in, and at gate) to upgrade to J. Never could, and was ultimately told by the GA that my ticket wasn't eligible for a cash upgrade (NC=8 on day of departure). So, I certainly wouldn't rely on an upsell offer.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by ORD-LIH
Agreed. I've had miles post in seconds before. Yet it takes them 2 weeks to get me an SWU back?
Sadly, you're not the first to report this experience. If you REALLY need the SWU back - quickly - you can always call MP CS and ask to speak to a SD.
I've had good luck getting them to physically make the deposit.

Dave
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA MP
Was anyone ever offered Y->F PCU on 3-class domestic flights? There's a fair number of 0NC 1+NF SFO-JFK flights I wouldn't mind taking advantage of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.