Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Lax-pvg, z -> f, $975

Offered at purchase.

Side note: earlier this week I was offered Y->J on AC flight from Edmonton to Toronto for CAD $499. Declined; although the food and entertainment are nicer than domestic UA, it was too rich for me for a 3 1/2 hour flight.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 1:04 pm
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
For a JFK-LAX-JFK itinerary travel options tells me there is a premium cabin seating option for $375. When I click on see your pricing, the pop up window says there is an error in processing the request. I don't know if it would be $375 for NC->F, Y->C or Y->F. I've never seen the option available on PS until now.
I noticed the same thing on a recent reservation. It seems to randomly appear in the reservation and always gives that error if you click on it.

Continental would be happy to upgrade me from y->C on a PS flight for $1.3k. not gonna happen.

Last edited by LAXJetter; Aug 13, 2011 at 1:13 pm
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:28 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
when does online buy-up option happen (which stage of puchase screen)?

Hi all -- just a quick question --

If the instant buy-up offer is to appear when booking a ticket online, when specifically does it appear? Is it after submitting payment information, or before?

Short story, I have made a silly mistake in canceling the return portion of a intl business ticket, not realizing that this jacks prices up to one-way basically. Trying to save the company some money by exploring whether the instant upgrade is available.

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Hi all -- just a quick question --

If the instant buy-up offer is to appear when booking a ticket online, when specifically does it appear? Is it after submitting payment information, or before?

Thanks!
IME it has always come AFTER the point of no return, i.e. you click on the icon that says your credit card will be charged when you click on: 'confirm and pay'

I have read reports it will come up as an on-line offer when NC is available.
So if you check the inventory on the dates and route you want to fly and NC is available chances are you will be offered a UGFC opportunity.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:17 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thanks, Aspen.

Sorry, UA - but in this case you lose. I've recently seen the light of Asia carriers, and would rather direct $6,000 of my employer's money to SQ and at least enjoy the service if we're going to pay that much...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
SFO-LAX

Offered a buy-up upon purchase of $75, V->F, SFO-LAX on a 757. Declined.

Wasn't offered anything on the LAX-SFO A319...
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TA
Thanks, Aspen.

Sorry, UA - but in this case you lose. I've recently seen the light of Asia carriers, and would rather direct $6,000 of my employer's money to SQ and at least enjoy the service if we're going to pay that much...
You could always take advantage of the 24-hour cancellation policy and roll the dice. Book the ticket and, if you don't get the buy-up offer, cancel it immediately. No harm, no foul (unless your company wouldn't allow this).
Old Aug 16, 2011, 2:29 am

Programs: JAL,UA
SFO to KIX(old config)
C to F

at purchase : 999us$
at OLCI: 749us$

since I was reserved in row 8, I declined both times.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
SFO to NRT today - asked TA and offered $631 Z to F. Declined. No time to enjoy the IFC and was planning to (and did) sleep most of the flight.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
ONT-DEN vv segments offered at $150 each way.

Um, no. At $75, UA might have gotten me to bite.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:53 pm

SFO - SYD

At booking, offered buy up from K class to business for $1125 one way. NC was showing 1 and Z was showing 6. When booked, NC stayed at 1 and Z went to 5. Booking went into Z class.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by cooltyler
At booking, offered buy up from K class to business for $1125 one way. NC was showing 1 and Z was showing 6. When booked, NC stayed at 1 and Z went to 5. Booking went into Z class.
Wow, that's a great deal for getting into C on a K-class ticket. SFO-SYD in C for what I'd guess is ~$2K one-way if I pro-rate the base-fare which I assume was $1400-1600ish?

Bad news for SWUs.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
ORD-YUL, $130 per person offered during OLCI, checking in an itinerary of 2 on 12,500-mile one-way economy awards. (The other segment getting to ORD was not offered at all.) Pax #2 was my four-year-old daughter so I didn't even consider it.

For a non-elite checking a bag or two, that's not a bad value. For an elite I'm with 1kBill on this one...I'd go about $75 for two hours up front on an economy award ticket.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 5:31 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
SFO-LAS award ticket

At OLCI a buy up to F for $65 on a 10,000 mile award ticket. I took it.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:36 am

For a flight from IAD-LHR, at the time of booking was offered a buy-up from B to C for $2300 or so round trip. Would have resulted in a cash price of the B fare + upgrade cost of about 50% of the best available Z fare. I declined, though, because I knew from the 1P desk I'd be able to confirm an upgrade with no copay and 15,000 miles each way (which I promptly did).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.