Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
Saw this earlier this week at the check-in machine next to me at SEA. Customer offered $500 upgrade to BF on flight to CPH.
That is quite interesting. Maybe sbm12 can educate us on the price diff between Y/B and Z on this route. $500 feels pretty cheap.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Offered a buy-up to F from a Z fare at check-in at the Presidents Club on EWR-ZRH last week for about US$650 but I didn't bite.....F ultimately went out with no paying pax (except for a pilot in 2K)....
Old Aug 8, 2011, 3:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I asked at the JFK RCC if they were selling upgrades from C to F on the 6 PM JFK-LAX ps flight last Friday just so I could post the results in this thread!

And of course, they weren't
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:19 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

This morning at LHR, I asked what the cost to get into F was (I bought a Z).
The quote was GBP496.

I was supposed to be on the noon flight to ORD, but the early 747 flight arrived late and was leaving an hour after I was checking in. She said she would be glad to put me on it. Asked about the load in C, and it was light. I asked the GS agent if she could keep the seat next to mine open, and she said that she would block it but couldn't guarantee it. Good enough for me, so I declined the upgrade as the marginal difference wasn't worth ~$800 to me.

Awesome crew and nice to get in a few hours early with that seat next to me empty. ^
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Cool

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This morning at LHR, I asked what the cost to get into F was (I bought a Z).
The quote was GBP496.

I was supposed to be on the noon flight to ORD, but the early 747 flight arrived late and was leaving an hour after I was checking in. She said she would be glad to put me on it. Asked about the load in C, and it was light. I asked the GS agent if she could keep the seat next to mine open, and she said that she would block it but couldn't guarantee it. Good enough for me, so I declined the upgrade as the marginal difference wasn't worth ~$800 to me.

Awesome crew and nice to get in a few hours early with that seat next to me empty. ^
Nice experience! Thanks for posting
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
At booking I got offered a buy up from Y to C on the ORD-SFO segment of my trip home after XMas. Ticket on that segment was in S. I believe the offer was either $500 or $600 total for two tickets (so 250 or 300 per ticket). That leg is on an intl config 767 and was NC3 when I booked (which is why I chose that flight). Declined since I picked that flight so I could use 2 CR1's
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Question Mixed Carrier Itinerary Affect Potential Upsell?

I am booked on a UA TATL flight next week, connecting to a LH flight to take me onward...

I booked H fare, applied SWU and was Waitlisted.

Noticed NF2, but not being offered any upsell...

Does entire itinerary have to be UA metal or UA Flight #'s to trigger the premium upsell? Or is the fact that I am connecting onto a non-UA carrier prevent the offer? Or has the 'glitch' simply been fixed?

Would love the opportunity to be able to buy-up to A and get those bonus miles...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
I am booked on a UA TATL flight next week, connecting to a LH flight to take me onward...

I booked H fare, applied SWU and was Waitlisted.

Does entire itinerary have to be UA metal or UA Flight #'s to trigger the premium upsell? Or is the fact that I am connecting onto a non-UA carrier prevent the offer? Or has the 'glitch' simply been fixed?

Would love the opportunity to be able to buy-up to A and get those bonus miles...
uhoh. Looks like Y->F may be a thing of the past I tried doing the same thing on a flight with NC=0 and NF,XF>0 on a K fare. Didn't work.
Also, I doubt it's the fact that you have LH as part of your itin. I recently got offered a cash upgrade for the UA segments an XC ticket, for which there was a connection to LX...so....
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:15 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by NYCSINUA
uhoh. Looks like Y->F may be a thing of the past I tried doing the same thing on a flight with NC=0 and NF,XF>0 on a K fare. Didn't work.
Also, I doubt it's the fact that you have LH as part of your itin. I recently got offered a cash upgrade for the UA segments an XC ticket, for which there was a connection to LX...so....
Pretty sure the formula is NC=0, XC=0, and XF>0. NF doesn't count.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
This "condition" as noted by others MIGHT be neccesary but is NOT sufficient to trigger the buyup.
Does entire itinerary have to be UA metal or UA Flight #'s to trigger the premium upsell?
Anectdotally, my itins that have offered the buy up have been all UA metal. Neither I nor anyone will be able to tell you that it is a requirement.
Or has the 'glitch' simply been fixed?
IMO, this is not now, nor has it EVER been a "glitch". UA knows full well what it is doing here. A CSR here and there might think they know better, but they're full of carp.
Good luck!!

Doesn't mean a thing that YOU couldn't get it on Itin X. It is still out there, as I used it on an upcoming flight to AMS.
This thing is just not as predictable as many have tried to make it, IMO.

Dave
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by 5khours
Pretty sure the formula is NC=0, XC=0, and XF>0. NF doesn't count.
Just looked today:
F4, A2, C9, D9, Z9, Y9, B9, E0, M9, U9, H9, Q9, V9, W9, T9, S9, K9, L9, G0, NY0, XY0, NF1, XF1, J9, NC0, XC0
Waitlisted using SWU, W fare, no buy up.

Originally Posted by bseller
This "condition" as noted by others MIGHT be neccesary but is NOT sufficient to trigger the buyup.

Doesn't mean a thing that YOU couldn't get it on Itin X. It is still out there, as I used it on an upcoming flight to AMS.
This thing is just not as predictable as many have tried to make it, IMO.

Dave
Good to know that you managed to use it recently. Do you mind sharing more details about when this was offered, and whether you had to do anything to trigger it (e.g. wait list NC), or if it just showed up under My Reservations?

Thanks all!
NYCSINUA
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Do you mind sharing more details about when this was offered, and whether you had to do anything to trigger it (e.g. wait list NC), or if it just showed up under My Reservations?
No worries. I didn't have to do anything to trigger it, but I DID log out of my account and then used the "find other reservations" link to get back to my itin.

It was a buy up to A fare, perhaps a couple of weeks ago and I lifted the offer.

Good luck! I GENUINELY believe that you just can' t game the system - despite their being evidence that some things are correlated.

Dave
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
Anyone got any recent offers on the LAX-PVG or SFO-PVG for buy ups into Biz or First?

Long time lurker here.

Was offered biz class for SFO-PVG for $999. I believe K class...1 week in advance
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Booked in V on a TPAC a week ago. SWU UG request in. XF opened early today. No UG to A offer yet. Will keep checking.

UPDATE - SWU cleared.

QUESTION - Has anyone gotten an offer for economy to A on an international flight recently? Haven't seen anyone report any since late June. Maybe UA was just doing an exercise in price sensitivity. If it's gone too bad. I thought it was a great deal. I was flying more and happy to pay double for the same flight. Good deal for UA as well.

Last edited by 5khours; Aug 13, 2011 at 7:11 am
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
For a JFK-LAX-JFK itinerary travel options tells me there is a premium cabin seating option for $375. When I click on see your pricing, the pop up window says there is an error in processing the request. I don't know if it would be $375 for NC->F, Y->C or Y->F. I've never seen the option available on PS until now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.